Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 1:16:45 AM EDT
Forgive me; I know this topic has been covered before.  But, how many rounds should I load in a 30 round magazine.  I seem to recall people suggesting 28 and putting a tracer round 25 deep to let you know your almost out of ammo.  Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Forgive me; I know this topic has been covered before.  But, how many rounds should I load in a 30 round magazine.  I seem to recall people suggesting 28 and putting a tracer round 25 deep to let you know your almost out of ammo.  Your thoughts?

Me personally, i load all 30 if a 30 round mag. All 20 if a 20 mag and so on. Keep in mind,   i'm not in combat. BTW, welcome to the forum..............
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You shouldn't have any problems loading your mags to full capacity, as that's what they were designed for. The reasoning behind downloading mags to 28rds is not to avoid jams as most people think, but to allow positive seating of the mag with the bolt closed, such as in a tactical reload. I download all of my AR mags myself, because that is how I was trained, and that's how I carry my mags at work.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of my 30-rounders with Ranger Plates only loads 29 comfortably. So I usually just load 28 rounds to make it even.  My 20's with RP can load 20, but would not lock, so 19 it is.  Also, makes charging less harder.

m2cw.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My milspec mags get fully loaded.  I once got some "cheap" 20 round stell things that I only use 15 to 17 rounds in.  These are the ones that usually go to the range as I rarely shoot fully loaded mags there anyways.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Standard 30 round mags without "modifications" = 30 rounds.

Mags with Magpul Ranger plates = 28.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I could load 30 rounds in my D&H USGI mags with Magpul followers and Ranger plates.

It takes a little more effort to seat it in, so sometimes I load it only 28 rounds to make loading easier.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Carefull with the tracer- a lot of ranges don't allow them.  My local range in Pungo had a problem when a Navy guy started a fire from a tracer that rico'd out of the range and into the forest behind it- OOPS!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Carefull with the tracer- a lot of ranges don't allow them.  My local range in Pungo had a problem when a Navy guy started a fire from a tracer that rico'd out of the range and into the forest behind it- OOPS!  

I think he was talking about as a tactical load, not a general range load...  

TS
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he was talking about as a tactical load, not a general range load...  

TS

Oh, nevermind then.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I load 30 rounds in a 30 rounder and 20 rounds in a 20 rounder. I load 100 rounds in my BetaCs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
30 rounds, i neverhad a problem with laoding all 30 rounds even with ranger plates, i wonder why some people are?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top