Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:02:22 PM EDT
What are the drawbacks to sealing up the bottom of the mag? Wrapping in electrical tape or something to keep dirt and dust out of it.

Other then it not allowing water to drain.

if not sealed how often do you all strip and clean/ lube your mags?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What are the drawbacks to sealing up the bottom of the mag? Wrapping in electrical tape or something to keep dirt and dust out of it.

Other then it not allowing water to drain.

if not sealed how often do you all strip and clean/ lube your mags?

Not sure of any drawback, but IMHO it appears to be a solution in search of a problem...

I have rarely ever stripped a magazine.  Seldom have ever cleaned one as they don't normally get dirty.  This would change if I were in a harsh environment such as a desert region w/ "moon dust". (Sand w/ talcom powder consistency)  

I also NEVER lube my magazines.  Oil will only serve to capture dirt/sand/dust inside the magazine.  Basically, if the dirt/sand/dust can find it's way into my magazine, it'll rattle itself out or the magazine will be empty before I realize it was dirty.  (After this realization, I would disass the mag and swab it out) But the dirt/sand/dust can't rattle out if it's held to the magazine's inside walls, follower or spring by oil or other lubricants.  If it was felt to be necessary to try lubing a magazine,  I would imagine a graphite lube or dry film moly coat would be OK, but still wouldn't recommend it at that.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
i have never had the need to take apart my mags and clean them other than a good tapping/beating on the side.

what is suppose to keep things out would also keep things in.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top