Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
Is it possible to get real Colt factory new straight 20 round mags like the stock factory ones that came with my Colt rifle any where?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard to find.  I was able to score an unopened six pack of them last year for $120 at a shop in easter, NY, but they are out of them now.  They had a whole case of them  I should have gotten a couple of them.  I like the 20 round mags for the range.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I thought that I was just looking in the wrong places. So they are hard to find huh? I guess we can't just call Colt and order some?

I like them to shoot too because of their size but also I like to have original equipment for my guns so when I sell them I can give the new owner the original stuff in good shape so ideally I would like to have the original 2 Colt mags in plastic along with all the original stuff and then have 2 more that I actually use for shooting so the 2 original ones stay new.

So far I am using the 30's but I prefer the short 20's for range shooting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.specializedarmament.com/

Looks like they have them. Bu they have 2 listings. I guess I'll have to call them and see what the difference is between the two listed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow, I thought that I was just looking in the wrong places. So they are hard to find huh? I guess we can't just call Colt and order some?

Unfortunately, Colts dfoes not sell products direct.

Unlike virtually all other manufacturers, they rely on Distributors and/or Dealers with Specialized Armament being the highest volume one of the latter
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Although the original message specified Colt magazines, it's probably worth pointing out that other 20-round straight magazines of the same design are available with different brand names.  For example:

RGUNS.net  . . . and. . .  Eagle Firearms

They don't have Colt stamped on the bottom, but they are made to the same specs.  You could use these and save your OEM Colt magazines as collectibles, in case you ever resell the rifle.

Also, sometimes used or surplus 20s come up on Equipment Exchange.  Last week I got a box of USGI Adventure Line mags that look like they've been in a time capsule since 1970.

As far as I know, the new curved 20s are perfectly functional.  They're slightly longer and they aren't allowed in service rifle competition (because they aren't mil-spec).  They were invented to make life easier for the manufacturer, because they can be made on the same tooling and accept the same followers as 30-rd mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
They are out there. I can still find Colt Nam era mags still in the 7 pack. You need to start making contacts with surplus dealers and let them know you will buy IF their prices are fair. You would be surprised what they can find if they like you as a customer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.specializedarmament.com/

Looks like they have them. But they have 2 listings. I guess I'll have to call them and see what the difference is between the two listed.

They got back to me and I ordered a few. The difference was that the first numbers are real Colt factory mags from Colt. The second listed one are the exact same mags but without the Colt markings but made to Colt factory specs.

Thanks a lot Spooge5150! That is just what I was looking for.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top