Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:24:14 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Getting ready to buy some new mags and update my old ones with Magpul Gen II's. I can't make up my mind on whether to get the gray or orange ones? They gray ones are less ghey but I can see the advantage of the orange ones, especially when installed in gray Teflon mags (all my mags are gray).

I know in the end, it doesn't really matter but I'm curious which ones you guys are buying and why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I am buying the orange ones for my grey mags when I get my tax return in a few weeks.  Easier to recognize my mags at the range.  Black Ranger plates too.  44Mag has a bundle in that configuration minus the ranger plates.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to buy whichever color is the most tacti-cool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
grey because it doesn't look horrible
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My "Load n' Store" mags have the grey MPIIs.  My range mags all have the orange MPIIs.

The only reason I got the orange ones for my range mags was to make it obvious that my rifle had an unloaded mag in it when the bolt locked back and I set it down to change/relocate my targets.  It also helps me quickly identify my mags over a buddies if we shoot together (no one else is buying the orange it seems  )

Personally, I don't really guess it matters which color you choose ... unless, of course, all your AR furniture is orange ... then you definately should go with the orange
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I use orange MPIIs in black teflon mags.  It's like Halloween every day!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
grey because it doesn't look horrible

+1

I just got six gray ones in the mail the other day, gonna outfit my 20-rounder Patrol mags tonight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know if Brownells is stocking the new ones yet?  If so I'll just buy whatever color they have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Grey

Just ordered 6 from 44mag the other day.  Orange is too orange for my tastes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought 5 gray, 5 tan and 1 orange just for the hell of it
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just finished mine!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I go with the orange so I can find the empties in my range bag. It also helps me if I do a ammo check while doing slower paced drills.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have both.  

true Arfcom fashion!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Orange all the way, easy to see if the mag is empty, and aids in finding them when dumped specially in deep grass. Kida like the camouflage wallet thing, why in gods name would you want to carry a cammo wallet in the woods?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Well you guys are no help!

Quoted:
I have both.  

I think that is what I'm going to do. 10 new black Teflon D&H's with the gray followers (which I plan on putting away) and then orange followers for my current gray mags. I like the gray followers better but I think they blend with the gray mags too much.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I use orange MPIIs in black teflon mags.  It's like Halloween every day!

+1
w00t!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#17]
15 of the tan 1st gen in my grey mags that are perfectly fine still. And so far I have 18 of the new orange ones in my black teflon mags with 12 more already in black teflon mags inbound from 44mag.com. I like the orange ones for visual id reasons....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
15 of the tan 1st gen in my grey mags that are perfectly fine still. And so far I have 18 of the new orange ones in my black teflon mags with 12 more already in black teflon mags inbound from 44mag.com. I like the orange ones for visual id reasons....

+1, no practical reason to go gray IMO, orange allows quick I.D.s under varied circumstances. But if they offend your delicate sensibilities, or don't match your tacti-cool gear, by all means buy the gray.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, no practical reason to go gray IMO, orange allows quick I.D.s under varied circumstances. But if they offend your delicate sensibilities, or don't match your tacti-cool gear, by all means buy the gray.

Oh, I do agree no need to upgrade if you have the tan.  A buddy of mine gave me some tan for this past Christmas and I put them in my 30-rounders.  This was when Magpul was still talking about the Gen IIs coming out.  So, I figured since the Gen IIs are out now, I would get them for my duty 20-rounders.  I still want to replace the rest of my green ones with either the tans or Gen IIs.  Seems like the tans should start coming down in price soon tho, eh?  Last I checked, they still around $2+ each (same as Gen IIs) unless you guys know something I don't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I do agree no need to upgrade if you have the tan.  A buddy of mine gave me some tan for this past Christmas and I put them in my 30-rounders.  This was when Magpul was still talking about the Gen IIs coming out.  So, I figured since the Gen IIs are out now, I would get them for my duty 20-rounders.  I still want to replace the rest of my green ones with either the tans or Gen IIs.  Seems like the tans should start coming down in price soon tho, eh?  Last I checked, they still around $2+ each (same as Gen IIs) unless you guys know something I don't.

Where are you finding Gen I tans???

TS
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Orange all the way, easy to see if the mag is empty, and aids in finding them when dumped specially in deep grass. Kida like the camouflage wallet thing, why in gods name would you want to carry a cammo wallet in the woods?

Orange for me for the same reason also. Easier to look and see why the bolt is back. Do I have a stoppage or do I see a follower?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I plan on getting a bunch of the orange ones one of these days.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You have to buy whichever color is the most tacti-cool.

Werd, if they came in camo, I'd be all over, but for the time being I'll settle for the orange ones.

Easy identification, and I like being bright and loud. So it fits me.

But, I do have both grey and orange.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 Orange

Top Ten Reasons To Get Orange GEN-2 Followers.

* Easier to see if the mag is empty when you pull it out of your dump pouch.
* If you aren't using a dump pouch, it'll be easier to recover your empty mags afterwards.
* You don't have to wonder if it came from the batch that had too much flashing.
* People chasing you will get distracted as you eject your empty mag while running away.
* Easier to tell which end is up.
* You have a better chance of convincing LEOs that it is for a toy gun.
* Orange IS the uber-tactical color for this season.
* Easier to find in a dark room.
* Distracts the zombies when you throw your empties at them as they're mobbing you.
* Leaves more gray ones for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you finding Gen I tans???

TS

I just bought some Gen 1 Tan from DSG Arms but they only have a limited supply and for $1.75 they probably won't last long.  I looked all over for them and DSG were the only ones who had them or got back to me
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My mags all have orange Gen IIs with black L plates.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Orange
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the orange MagPuls better....just my preference.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got some in gray.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
tacti-cool

I like my gray ones.  Why?  Because I like them.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#32]
How does Gen-II differ from Gen-I? More reliable?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got mine today.

While the photos make the orange ones appear almost red, they really aren't that bright in color.  They look more like a faded orange color.

-Frank
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How does Gen-II differ from Gen-I? More reliable?

Gen II followers have slight modifications to them.  Enough to call them another Gen number.  There is a little extra meat on the bolt lock tab.  The simulated bullet is longer (not a long slant in the back.)  There is a small ramp to kick the front of the bullet up some on the opposite side as the simulated bullet.  Also the mid section were it comes in contact with the mag body is a bit smaller.

Now i have at least one of each.

Left: Gen 1 Coyote, Top: Beta Red, Middle: Gen 2 Gray, Bottom: Gen 2 Orange

Even Glow  Because i like Bling!

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top