Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:01:55 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to purchase a number of new H&K mags.  I know they are high quality and hard to find, but the guy is asking $45 each.  Seems high. . . .  What do you think is the most I should pay?  

Thanx,
Kurt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
i paid $40 deliverd for each but i had to buy 10 or more to get that price. $45 seems a little high but not over priced for these mags. look in the EE i think there was a guy selling some at $40 each not long ago, maybe there are still some left.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The story I heard is that the H&K steel mags are supposed to have a longer service life and be more resistant to dings or bent lips.

Most M16 mags -- aluminum or plastic ones -- are semi-disposable, so you are meant to use them about 50 times, more or less, and then throw them away because they're worn out or damaged.  That was a scheme Armalite introduced back in the 1950s  to save a bit of weight.  (While the AK went exactly the opposite direction with its armor-plated magazines.)

So these new steel magazines are an attempt to make a more permanent M16 magazine, more in line with the M14 or FAL.  It's not a bad idea, but I do think the prices right now are too high because they're so new and the supply is limited.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I hold my HK magazine and my D&H black teflon side by side.  The HK is superior to the D&H.  I'm just amazed by the quality of the magazine.

Sturdy, smooth, looks great.  You know how the alumies feel cheap.  The HK feels like a brick.  

I cant justify the cost of stocking up with HK only.  But I do like having a couple around for fun.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I will stick with the OLD SCHOOL!

But the HK are Very Nice!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The story I heard is that the H&K steel mags are supposed to have a longer service life and be more resistant to dings or bent lips.

Most M16 mags -- aluminum or plastic ones -- are semi-disposable, so you are meant to use them about 50 times, more or less, and then throw them away because they're worn out or damaged.  That was a scheme Armalite introduced back in the 1950s  to save a bit of weight.  (While the AK went exactly the opposite direction with its armor-plated magazines.)

So these new steel magazines are an attempt to make a more permanent M16 magazine, more in line with the M14 or FAL.  It's not a bad idea, but I do think the prices right now are too high because they're so new and the supply is limited.

Well I guess I've gotten my money's worth out of my mags. I couldn't begin to even count how many times they've been loaded/unloaded. A lot more than fifty times for sure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WTF?

Just call me for my address when you wear yours out!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No personal attack meant toward you, but that is pure BS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Is HK mag longer than your typical usgi mag? what does it say 5.56x45 on the side?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I read elsewhere that the mags are indeed longer (taller) than a standard AR mag but I think that has to do with the follower and the difference isn't much.

5.56x45mm is the size of the AR round, is it not?  

H&K just likes to mark mags with caliber as most other German and European companies, it's nothing special or different from a regular AR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is HK mag longer than your typical usgi mag? what does it say 5.56x45 on the side?

yes they are
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I bet HK scratch`s  up the inside of the  Magwell big time! Being made of steel and the lower T6 of 7 alum.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#13]
$45 is a decent price for these mags, unless you're buying in large quantities. You can usually find them for this price for sale most anywhere, so at this price point, it's really a matter of take it or leave it. If you can find them at $40 or below each, in small quantities, then I'd be inclined to buy rather than leave them, since you don't find them that cheap that often.

I have a ton of mags, but only 4 of these. They're the ones I use for work. The rest are for practice or range fun.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top