Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:53 AM EDT
I have seen where Colt manufactured mags for thier 7.62x39 rifles.  On the surface they appear to be very similar to a 20 round 223 mag.  Does anyone know what the difference was/is?  Was it the follower or actual mag deminsions.  Yes, I have a new toy now and am trying to accumulate some mags.  Have several USA mags but wanted to see if I could retrofit some of my excess 223 20's to work.
Regards,
C1

Found this on a web site earlier, if anyone cares:
7.62 x 39 magazines for AR-15s tend to be problematic. More and more AR owners are buying spare 7.62 x 39 uppers for their rifles to take advantage of the low cost of military surplus (Chinese and Eastern Bloc) ammunition, or as a means to get a more effective stopper for deer than .223 Remington.

The problem is finding mags that will feed when loaded with more than 5 or 6 rounds. Neither Colt (for the AR-15) or Ruger (for the Mini-30) ever made any high capacity magazines for their 7.62x39s, because neither intended those guns for military or law enforcement sales. (And both being statist/Politically Correct firms in recent years, neither produced high capacity magazines for the civilian market before the 9/94 ban.)

The Colt 7.62 x 39 rifles and clones can *accept* standard 20 or 30 round G.I. magazines, but they won't function reliably when loaded with more than 5 or 6 rounds. With its straight magazine well, the AR-15 is not well-suited to the cartridge. As I'm sure most of you reading this know, an angle builds up to the point where the 7.62 cartridges will jam horribly if you load more than about 9 rounds--regardless of which magazine you use. The cartridge simply works better in fully-curved magazines. And with the AR-15Õs straight magazine well, that problem can never be properly overcome in AR-15s and clones.

Colt-made 7.62 x 39mm magazines differ from standard .223 magazines only in that they have different followers. The 7.62 x 39mm followers are black plastic and have Ò7.62mmÓ in white letters printed on the follower. They appear to be made differently from regular .223 followers. I believe these to be standard alloy M-16 magazine bodies that are assembled with 7.62 followers.

One tip garnered from the net: With the Colt-made 7.62 x 39 magazines, insert the magazines gently with the bolt closed to keep rounds from flying out the top.

Another problem is that the fat 7.62x39 cartridge tends to bulge out or even split aluminum alloy AR-15 magazines. There is a solution for that particular problem: The best magazines that I can recommend for a 7.62 AR-15 are either STEEL original Sterling-made AR-180 magazines (also notched for AR-15 magazine catch), or STEEL original Belgian FNC magazines. Then, if possible, replace the followers with Colt 7.62 mm marked followers. Even with these, donÕt load more than 9 cartridges.

Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
C1,
    The Colt 7.62X39 mag is a regular .223 mag with a different floor plate. They are usually blocked.  The 7.62X39 round needs a curved mag desin to work properly. A regular .223 mag will work with about 7 7.62X39 rounds. If you want high cap in 7.62X39, look for mags made after the G-Tech or Scherer design. Bushmaster made some. Some USA Frankenmags work without issues, but some don't work at all. I have Scherer & USA 30 rd mags that have never failed me with a Colt upper even on FA.
    The spare Colt 7.62X39 extractors I have purchased from Brownells & E-Gunparts fit onto but do not work with my Colt bolts.
    We had an F4U Corsair undergoing rebuild at New Orleans Lakefort Airport about 10 years ago. It was purchased by someone in Texas once all the parts had been located for the rebuild. Are you connected with that Corsair?
                                                             HTH,
                                                             Carey
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Leid,
Good info on the mags.  Thanks and pretty much sums up what I have heard elsewhere.  Going to the range for the first time on Friday.

As to the Corsair, none.  But as a pilot, my goal has always been to fly an F4U, P51, and P61.  None have come to fruition, nor do I expect them to.  Seems I remember seeing an F4 project bird in NO area many years ago on one of my trips.  Is the bird flying today?
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a USA magazine that holds 30 rounds of 7.62x39 and is curved like an AK magazine. I have never had any problems with any of them. I would like to try one of the Colt brand 5 rounds if anyone would like to trade.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top