Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:48:16 PM EDT
I have a friend who is 0311 in the USMCR and is currently at 29 Stumps soon to be heading to Iraq. He called me and asked for some help, he needs more mags. He has been issued standard worn USGI Mags as well as the brand new HK mags and he hates the HK's. He says the beat up no finish USGI mags work fine all day long but the new HK mags will not feed in an reliable manner and he'd just as soon be rid of it.

He needs about 5-7 more mags and I am not sure what direction to point him in. I have some really nice teflon coated mags with magpul followers and ranger plates and love those. I was thinking of advising him on getting some good USGI teflon mags with Magpul Gen II followers and standard floorplates. Any thoughts on this? He will be getting leave in about a week at which point he'll have internet access and can place this order. Unfortunately being the broke college student I am I can't finance these myself otherwise I'd buy them for him and send them off. So what do you guys think and where is a good place for me to send him too to buy them, I always bought my mags off the EE personally but he doesn't have time to dick around with that. Thanks alot for any suggestions, I just want John to have the best equipment possible.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you're looking to buy him some mags, but mags are class 9 and are easily procured.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a company in the EE that is selling mags for 7.30 or so to soldiers, look them up.  DSG also has a dealer here, they can make mags with improved followers and Ranger plates.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If it will give him peace of mind bringing a small supply of mags with him just in case; just do it. One of the girls at work came to me when her husband was getting sent to the sandbox 2 years ago. He wanted mags and gear. We got together at work and bought his unit a case ( 100 ) M16 mags and 30 factory beretta 9mm mags with kind help from a local dealer ( Ruben Mendiola ). We also sent over a box of various molle mag pouches from various manufacturers ( they were in short supply at the time so we had to order a few from Spec Ops, Blackhawk, Eagle ect. ). They may get the items when they get there but anything to give them peace of mind on the trip over.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm aware of that but he already has his basic combat load and he wants 5-7 more just for extra piece of mind. As he said, just in case. I see no problem with this and I will make sure he gets good mags. Thanks

Steve
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He needs about 5-7 more mags and I am not sure what direction to point him in. I have some really nice teflon coated mags with magpul followers and ranger plates and love those.
Steve

No flame intended.  

If he was my friend, I'd give him my good mags and buy more later.  He needs them more than you.  That way he'll have them when he leaves.  When he gets back he can give them back to you.  They will be real combat mags.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No flame intended.  

If he was my friend, I'd give him my good mags and buy more later.  He needs them more than you.  That way he'll have them when he leaves.  When he gets back he can give them back to you.  They will be real combat mags.  

Ditto.

my buddy is at 29 stumps also. i sent him mags he left behind, and offered my personal mags for his use.
OT: anyone have the link to the $7.30 mags for soldiers?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He needs about 5-7 more mags and I am not sure what direction to point him in. I have some really nice teflon coated mags with magpul followers and ranger plates and love those.
Steve

No flame intended.  

+1 my thoughts also

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
CP has a deal on mags for soldiers, i think they're like 9$ a piece.  www.cproductsllc.com
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I offered him my mags, he refused them, aside from which I only have two of the Teflon mags in that configuration.  I will send him the link to that site, thanks alot guys, I appreciate it.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

No flame intended.  

+1 my thoughts also

+3

or get him some
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
44mag.com is selling the teflon mags...30rnd'rs....12 bucks i believe
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If you get the grey teflon Labelle rather than black, they will look more like the issue mags.  Labelle or Okay/NHMTG mags with a Magpul follower for good measure and he's set.

ETA:  DSG arms has grey labelle (house branded) mags with Magpul genII followers already installed here... $13.50 ready to roll.

Edit 2:  Creative products has a new stainless steel magazine coming out soon, which could be really good.  Creative has not been so reliable in the past so it remains to be seen how these mags will do.  I wouldn't get them for combat use until they are a proven product.  Might be something to send him in 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

No flame intended.  

+1 my thoughts also

+3

or get him some

Thanks for reading my previous post. 2 good mags are not going to do him much good when he needs 5-7 mags and refused my offer already. Most of my mags are used USGI ones. Only NIW mags I've bought are two teflon coated mags which had  magpul followers and now have ranger plates. Those are the only mags I have with those items.  I'd give him my Colt mags but they are the only mags I have that never want to function right.. go figure..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
either buy him or point him in the direction of mags with the Magpul followers and ranger plates.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Image how many NEW USGI's that Marine's unit COULD have bought with the money wasted on $30+ HKs.

On the commercial market, I recommend NEW Okay, Brownells, and Colt (yes, these are made by Okay). Okay are best in my book, but I've had good luck with Brownells and some CP.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Image how many NEW USGI's that Marine's unit COULD have bought with the money wasted on $30+ HKs.

Hotgun

but did they?

how much d o you want to bet that H&K gave the .mil a shit ton of mags to try out. you know..... to prove that they are so much better than the rest to try to win a contract?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#17]
H&K has a contract with the US Government for 150,000 mags at $31 each. $4,650,000. That translates to 588,607 USGI mags at the current contract price of $7.90.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
H&K has a contract with the US Government for 150,000 mags at $31 each. $4,650,000. That translates to 588,607 USGI mags at the current contract price of $7.90.

That is proposterous and infuriates me a little bit.  Why would the government give a foreign country that kind of "pork" when they could get the same thing for cheaper in the good old U.S.A.

BUY AMERICAN!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#19]
RustyTX is having a SHOT show sale, the mags I mentioned before are $10.95 each.  

Mags here

Sale thread here
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#20]
If you don't mind carrying the weight I think it intimidates the enemy a little to see guys with 10-14 magazines.  It sends the message "These guys want to fight", the enemy is less likely to engage people that are prepared and looking for a fight.  

If your carrying that number the lighter aluminum mags make a good deal of difference too- (HK steel is quite a bit heavier.  

The M9 mags always seem a great idea-- a lot of the issued M9 mags are horseshit mags and the springs set horribly.  I saw mags that wouldn't push the second of 15 rounds to the top.  nothing like a Beretta factory mag.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#21]
C Products, LLC Shot Show special started at noon today. Visit us at www.cproductsllc.com
Thanks

Larry
C Products
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#22]
He should talk to his section chief(or USMC equivelant).  I got issued 7 during the mob process, and 7 more when I got in country.  They are indeed class 9, and if his leadership isn't buying more mags, then what are they spending their unit allowance on?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Is your friend with 1/25 or 1/14?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to buy him some 7 of these will cost you around $100.00

I just bought some and they are awesome.

44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH30BMG

Or buy him some new springs some and Gen II magpuls to upgrade what he already has. That would be the economical way to do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate thinking our guys don't have decent gear, but seeing as I've seen several pics of some of our USAF G-FACs carying arround AKMs, I have to admit the possibility.  The mags I got from 44mag.com have been fairly top notch, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

Justice 23 has an A+ idea though, pick up a dozen of the Gen II magpul followers, some good quality springs and maybe a half-dozen new floorplates, to replace any that are beat up.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top