Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:58 PM EDT
Has anyone disassembled their mags and put them in the dishwasher to clean them. If so can you allow them to air dry, or do you need to put them in the oven? Would you wash the springs and followers too? Would you put the springs and floor plates in the oven with the bodys (obviously not the followers)?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:47:20 PM EDT
I haven't done that, only dishwasher here is the wifey.

However, I run a dish pan full of hot water and mix in some Dawn. Stir it up real good and use a magazine brush that I brought somewhere to scrub it inside and out.

Then rinse in hot water and stand up on something flat to air dry.

Hey, works for me.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:51:32 PM EDT
I have. My wife wass gone and I ran a dozen M1 carbine mags thru the dishwasher. I set the DW for heated dry. They rusted (more) but it was just a light flash rust that wiped off with CLP.

The mags started out very nasty, old lube and sand and crap. I cleaned a couple manually before I resorted to the DW method.

I have washer AR mags also, but only with a hose after dropping them in the mud. Wiped dry with paper towel, spring lightly CLPed, and reassembeled. BSW
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:57:43 PM EDT
I guess its only right. When mags are born they are washed in a dish washer prior to welding. Sounds like a good way to clean them later in life!

CP
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:39:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CubDriver:
Has anyone disassembled their mags and put them in the dishwasher to clean them. If so can you allow them to air dry, or do you need to put them in the oven? Would you wash the springs and followers too? Would you put the springs and floor plates in the oven with the bodys (obviously not the followers)?

This was another thing in Pat Rogers article in SWAT magazine that I remember. I'll have to try it sometime. Only thing I've ever put in there related to guns was my garand stock!!!! And the wife didn't care. She's a good one.
Top Top