Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:44:31 PM EDT
Holy wow, I acquired of these mags this weekend for free.  Absolutely amazing construction.  They run about $50-55 in cost, but are NICE magazines.  Anyone else have experience with them?

I guess SF is starting to use these now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to buy a small collection for SHTF situations.  Just a little too much to buy nothing but them...

TS
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard complaints from SF units about problems with the H&Ks...not just about the floorplates falling off, either and have discontinued using them. For real SHTF, I'd only rely on good condition, proven USGI mags. Trust me

(Not kidding)
Best of luck,
Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've heard complaints from SF units about problems with the H&Ks...not just about the floorplates falling off, either and have discontinued using them. For real SHTF, I'd only rely on good condition, proven USGI mags. Trust me

(Not kidding)
Best of luck,
Hotgun

Ok then, what problems?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I read on this board sometime that there were issues with them, that is, the Gen 1 mags. i heard the baseplates popped off when dropped (if i read it right) and some rusting inside the mag. From what i could put togeather, they were only with the Gen 1 mags, and the Gen 2 mags have fixed those issues.

NOW, i could be 100% wrong, and have NO experience myself with these issues, nor do i know anyone in SF that uses these and has issues. im just throwing out some info i picked up here that sounded like it could very well have been credible (to my limited knowledge)

just thought id throw out some previously posted info, and it didnt keep me from buying 13 of these myself which are all Gen 2 mags and look to be of very high quality. Picked mine up at Cals Sporting Armory thanks to Redfisher who provided me with the link to these HK mags that were in stock at the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Double-feeds.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
what causes double feeds? The spring tension isn't too bad, as the magazine is slighlty longer, and seats with 30 rounds way easier than a USGI mag for example.

I bought a lot of these magazines in the maritime version (ver. 2) and they have the coating on the inside of the magazine as well, so I don't think that rust would be an issue with these mags as they are with other steel mags such as the taiwanese T65K2's.

I am selling a few of my own on the EE for $39
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems obvious to many that there is less spring pressure......probably not enough pressure to prevent rounds from working their way up & popping up at an in-opportune moment.

From my experience, the "maritime" mags offer no better protection against rusting than the "std" finish. I've never compared the H&K to anything other than USGI, so I can't comment about any of the other steel mags.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I am going to call BS on these problems.  I saw a bunch of them in use when I was overseas and I ran them as my primary mags...no issues at all even on auto.  I droped them several times, fully loaded with no issues.  

IMHO, they are much better than USGI.  I used both and still use both but the USGI mags are not nearly as durable and did not fare well when dropped (feed lip bent, base plate bulged).  

If your mags are totally disposable, USGI is fine.  If they are going to be used forever, get the HK mags.  

I don't think they are that expensive compared to the cost of the rifle and the mag is the weakest link in the system...  So spend some money on mags and be happy;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Warning....Better put "laugh mode on.....

That's Mr. BS, to you Obviously we must agree to disagree.

Your mags must have had the rubber do-hickey in the base.....otherwise dropping a loaded (H&K) mag in a down/rearward orientation will cause them to "spew" cartridges everywhere. They also didn't fall lips-down or other (nearly any) direction onto a hard surface from a standing height, as they dent very easily and can quickly be reduced to a $30+ piece of trash. The magazine is as heavy empty as a loaded USGI....dropping all that combined weight (with soft steel body) is a disaster when dropped on concrete.

Also, anone planning to use any mag for the M16 "forever" is a inviting trouble. I've trashed a number of H&Ks in side by side tests with USGI. Trashed quite a few USGI in my day, too, but I've always had confidence in new USGI. There are no comprehensive test reports (even H&K's own reports) showing the H&K steel mag reliability exceeds USGI (but we do know they rust like H if ya give em' a chance!).

If ya paid more it must be better, eh? How likely to toss it when it's done for after dropping $30, $40, even $50?
I'll try not to sugarcoat so much in the future
Hotgun

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hi Guys:

I have had excellent results with the HK M-16 type magazines.  I find them very reliable and durable.  Yes, they are expensive in comparison to the standard magazines, but well worth the cost.  

I have conducted drop tests and I have never had a problem.  My only criticism of the HK magazine is that they are somewhat more complicated to disassemble and reassemble.  I suspect that incorrect reassembly of the HK magazine is the source of user troubles when the magazine is dropped.  

I contacted HK and they sent me their written directions for the magazine’s disassembly and reassembly.  I suspect that most users do not realize that HK does have specific instructions for user magazine maintenance.  I will copy these instructions and post them.  

Because of the cost, I am slowly building up my HK magazine inventory, now at 12; buying one or two per month.  My intention is to totally phase out my use of standard type AR15 / M16 magazines by the end of this year.

Take Care!

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm interesed in seeing disassembly/maintenance instructions for these mags.

I bought 1 from outdoorbrothers and another from 44mag.com.

I haven't put any rounds through them yet, but the follower is definitely no-tilt and works very smoothly within the magazine.

I'm not sure the finish is any more durable than the USGI mags, since they got scratched up in the usual places after I tested them for fit in my Colt sporter.  

Both mags dropped freely from the magwell, unlike some of the aluminum mags I've used in the past (brownells).  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no wear on mine.  Sits full of 55gr TAP at night and unloaded in the morning and/or when I go to the range...

TS
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
They do have an NSN and they are starting to pop out of the supply system to non-SOCOM users. I haven't seriously field-tested it yet as I only got one two weeks ago , but it's definitely the nicest mag of the 11 I have here in-country.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
So what's worse, dropping a loaded HK mag and spilling the rounds out , or dropping a loaded USGI mag and breaking the spot welds on the rear seam?

In my military experience (including a deployment to Afghanistan and 6 months assigned to a rifle range) I've seen hundreds if not thousands of problems with GI mags. Double feeds, bent feed lips, broken feed lips, broken spot welds, you name it.

Should I quit using my GI mags too?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have just aquired 2 of the HK mags and I am impressed.  The quality of their construction is amazing.  

I think that the USGI mags are good quality if they are used as they are intened.  That is, disposable.  A magazine should be seen as something you could drop free if you had to and leave it.  It is a shame they aren't in great enough supply to be used this way.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#18]
My point is...ALL mags are disposable....and you can buy 3, 4, or even 5 new USGI for the cost of ONE H&K. BTW, Gov't purchased USGI are HEAVILY inspected / tested....H&K are NOT. They're heavy, rust & have known quality control issues & reliability issues.

I'd rather haul additional loaded USGI mags rather than the additional weight of steel magazines.....and run the risk of a cracked weld on a dropped USGI any day vs. spilling all the rounds on the ground.

Just my IMO,
Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the HKs are perfect for the range.  

USGI's are cheap and reliable, perfect for ditching in battle.  Just IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My point is...ALL mags are disposable....and you can buy 3, 4, or even 5 new USGI for the cost of ONE H&K. BTW, Gov't purchased USGI are HEAVILY inspected / tested....H&K are NOT. They're heavy, rust & have known quality control issues & reliability issues.

I'd rather haul additional loaded USGI mags rather than the additional weight of steel magazines.....and run the risk of a cracked weld on a dropped USGI any day vs. spilling all the rounds on the ground.

Just my IMO,
Hotgun

Thanks for the clarification...

One thing to consider is that most of the current production "USGI" mags on the market now are not USGI at all - D&H teflon mags in particular.

Center and Okay mags, which ARE USGI, aren't nearly as common or available.

I like my HK mags so far, but I haven't subject them to anything but range use. I'll keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I call bullshit on the whole spewing all the rounds when dropped, from first hand experience. When we first started ordering them I took the first one unwrapped, loaded it, and dropped it 15 times from eye level, landing it on every possible point.... twice it lost ONE round, thats it. These are first gen with no rubber coated spine or whatever.

Since then that same mag has been carried by me for 8 months and dropped, banged up, beat on vehicle doors and hatches, lived in my cargo pocket on the FOB, dropped god knows how many times, and never spewed its rounds or failed when I needed it. The worst that has happened has been a worn finish, but my M-4 is worn worse than the mag.

No problems with M203's either.

I put the word out when I issued these for anyone with problems from them spewing rounds or other issues to come to me as soon as they had issues, and after 8 months the only issue they have is that I can't get them fast enough, and they are slghtly longer so an aftermarket pouch sometimes will not hold 3.

They are Class IX and expendable, so there is no excuse for any unit ordering anything but these.

And the ODA guys here sure seem to like thiers, I guess they didn't get the memo that they suck either
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The Gen I magazines had the problem with the base plate, the Gen II (small rubber tab at the rear end of base plate) seem not to have the problem.

One thing though, the H&K seem to have a lot to lot variance.  I talked to a friend of mine who is an I&I for a mobilized SMCR unit.  They bought allot of H&K mags and they are having issues with double feeds, the A4 being a little less incidence than the M4s.  With the A4s they average like 1 per ever mag and half fire and the M4s generally multiple per magazine.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I just "tested" one of mine.  I dropped it several times by punching the mag release with the mag loaded with 30 rounds.  No rounds spewed out.  I then fired it, semi-rapid and rapid fire.  No double  feeds.  Of course this is by no means a field use type test, but mine did what I expect of it...

TS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Gen I magazines had the problem with the base plate, the Gen II (small rubber tab at the rear end of base plate) seem not to have the problem.

One thing though, the H&K seem to have a lot to lot variance.  I talked to a friend of mine who is an I&I for a mobilized SMCR unit.  They bought allot of H&K mags and they are having issues with double feeds, the A4 being a little less incidence than the M4s.  With the A4s they average like 1 per ever mag and half fire and the M4s generally multiple per magazine.  

So the rubber tab is the only difference between the GenI and GenII mags.?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok if the rubber tab is the only difference then what I have here are GEN II, I thought I read on here the GEN II had rubber all up the spine.

Regardless, I have had no problem from ours, with close to 1000 having been issued now. I took mine out of my cargo packet and tossed it across the room after my last post just for the hell of it. My guys though I was really mad at something, but only one round popped out.

I have had one guy here who is a pretty big gun nut say he though that some double feed issues may be realted to people cleaning magazines and lubing the inside, with CLP rubbing off on the rounds and making double feed because of reduced friction between the rounds and the feedlips...... I will have to try it next trip to the range. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the difference between the GEN1 and GEN2 mags - and how do I tell the difference?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#29]
it is foolish to swear by any particular brand too dogmaticaly because there will always be some who have failures and some whose mags work perfectly...I have had some quality products that  just didn't work and some of the generic junk that worked fine...so I end up with a mix of everything...whatever works I keep and what doesn't I trade off...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What is the difference between the GEN1 and GEN2 mags - and how do I tell the difference?

Thanks

Generation II is on the right. Note the round rubber core spine

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks

Besides the round rubber spine.  The Gen II mags do not have the white writing on the sides like Gen I HK mags.  The ones I have have the AF code, so maybe that has something to do with mine working well...

TS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I have used mine for a while now no problems. Never heard of any problems with them either since the maratime finish was released. Their the best mags by far. Better than USGI mags for the durability factor.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been using the HK mags in country since Dec 03 when I got my first one with the chromed follower.  First 30 rounds out of that mag no problem.  After that it took a fall from a top bunk onto a marble floor and consistently now have 3-4 FTF per loading, don't use that one anymore.  Have had new ones FTF MK 262 Mod 1 fresh out of the wrapper along with some Rangers at the Army Championships last year (same token had one FTF with a USGI and same ammo).  Since last year I haven't had one single malfunction with the current batch of several hundard my unit has that wasn't mag related.  Did have some guns malfunctions but that was determined to be loose gas keys causing the malfunctions.  Just packed mine away for redeployment to see if I had any GEN II.  As stated they are heavier and longer so may not fit all mag pouches.  I don't carry them when patrolling on foot but when mounted (12 mags on IBA does add up).   Do have one mag that has normally carried in the gun at all times for the last 7 months which does have the finish wearing off (same as my M9).

CD
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've been using the HK mags in country since Dec 03 when I got my first one with the chromed follower.  First 30 rounds out of that mag no problem.  After that it took a fall from a top bunk onto a marble floor and consistently now have 3-4 FTF per loading, don't use that one anymore.  Have had new ones FTF MK 262 Mod 1 fresh out of the wrapper along with some Rangers at the Army Championships last year (same token had one FTF with a USGI and same ammo).  Since last year I haven't had one single malfunction with the current batch of several hundred my unit has that wasn't mag related.  Did have some guns malfunctions but that was determined to be loose gas keys causing the malfunctions.  Just packed mine away for redeployment to see if I had any GEN II.  As stated they are heavier and longer so may not fit all mag pouches.  I don't carry them when patrolling on foot but when mounted (12 mags on IBA does add up).   Do have one mag that has normally carried in the gun at all times for the last 7 months which does have the finish wearing off (same as my M9).

CD

this is the type of feedback that matters

sounds like the new Gen II model has addressed the issues that dogged them early on (~2003).

Curious how the maritime ver. is holding up? Not that they are only used near/around saltwater, but you'd think they were better able to withstand all climate and abuse issues better than the other version wherever they may be in use.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#35]
As far as the finish they hold up well in mag pouches.  As stated above the one in the mag well is showing wear spots from continuious use as all steel would.  One thing that I did find helpful is during mounted patrols keep a 20 round mag in the gun for when the gun is between your legs that long 30rd mag doesn't bang your knees.  Keep 30s on the IBA and other ammo cans.  Hopefully will get to do some diving in saltwater this year, I've been away from the sea too long.  

CD
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Our Marine Patrol/Patrol/ TAC are issued HK mags "not maritime coated" somebody in purchasing bought these.  Marine Patrol has rust probs on there pistol sig mags but no prob with the HK mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Since I haven't seen anyone post the NSN and cost I thought I would so any .mils out there can get some on order.

NSN: 1005-01-520-5992 , cost per the current Fedlog is $32.09 each. These are the Gen II mags that have the rubber bumper on the rear spine. The bumper preloads the baseplate to prevent the tabs from disengaging with the mag body in the event the magazine is dropped.  

This is what caused the base plate lock, attached to the spring, to bounce out of engagement with the baseplate which resulted in the baseplate comming off and ejecting the spring, follower and rounds from the Gen I mags without the bumper.

The Gen II mags can also be identified by an AF code stamped in the mag catch area as opposed to the AE stamped into Gen I mags.

We have had no problems with the current mags and I'm glad they are finally becoming available in quantity, though they do take longer to get than standard GI mags. They are highly coveted by the troops who have them.

Wpns Man

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Order now, while you can.....quantities are limited

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Since I haven't seen anyone post the NSN and cost I thought I would so any .mils out there can get some on order.

NSN: 1005-01-520-5992 , cost per the current Fedlog is $32.09 each. These are the Gen II mags that have the rubber bumper on the rear spine. The bumper preloads the baseplate to prevent the tabs from disengaging with the mag body in the event the magazine is dropped.  

This is what caused the base plate lock, attached to the spring, to bounce out of engagement with the baseplate which resulted in the baseplate comming off and ejecting the spring, follower and rounds from the Gen I mags without the bumper.

The Gen II mags can also be identified by an AF code stamped in the mag catch area as opposed to the AE stamped into Gen I mags.

We have had no problems with the current mags and I'm glad they are finally becoming available in quantity, though they do take longer to get than standard GI mags. They are highly coveted by the troops who have them.

Wpns Man

Are you in Iraq right now? dealing with troops using these mags?

Just looking for more experience with these and opinions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got a bunch of marintime finish mags in, very nice compared to the standrd finish we have been using. Even passed a couple off to a fellow Arfcommer who was here at the FOB.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#41]
ae date code is gen 1?    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I just got a couple of the Gen II's from a buddy. They are holding up well. No problems as of yet
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#43]
redrumnine,

Yes I am currently in Iraq, notice under my screen name the IRQ (Iraq) conversely the AFG under Garand_Shooter's name translates into Afganistan FWIW.

Yes I am dealing with troops(including myself) using these mags. We run GunTruck missions providing security for convoys and I've been slowly trying to upgrade to these magazines as they shake out of the supply system. I wouldn't go to the trouble if I didn't think they were worth it.

blueinterceptor,

Of the Gen I magazines I've seen (without the rubber bumper) they have had the code of AE. There is someone in the EE who is selling non Govt/Export/LEO marked HK mags that are Gen I and they also appear to be AE marked at the mag catch.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a couple of these mags and have run them in an IDPA styled rifle league.  The best thing about them is that they positively lock in with a full 30rds on a closed bolt.  Besides that, they're way too heavy and the steel distorts too easily when dropped.  When doing mag changes, they invariably flip over in mid air and land directly on their delicately designed feed lips.  

If you look at the rear supporting section of the feed lips on a standard USGI 30rd mag, it's fully supported.  The HK mags support area is similar to older the style 20rd USGI mags and this area is more opened up.  (Probably to allow for more area around the bolt lug that picks up the round and enhances reliability.)  These lips have distorted quite a bit already and I doubt they'll feed properly if I keep dropping them.  Most of the time these mags have been dropped with a few rounds in them and when I go pick them up when I'm done,  rounds have popped out and the rounds in the mag are not properly aligned.  Not good.  If you did a clearing drill and later needed those precious rounds in that mag, it might not feed properly.

Ultimately, someone should take the longer more aggressively curved mag design feature(apposed to the standard dog leg) of the HK mag and make it out of aluminum, keep the standard floorplate design, use a quality spring and add a magpul follower.  Now that would be a nice mag.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
redrumnine,

Yes I am currently in Iraq, notice under my screen name the IRQ (Iraq) conversely the AFG under Garand_Shooter's name translates into Afganistan FWIW.

Yes I am dealing with troops(including myself) using these mags. We run GunTruck missions providing security for convoys and I've been slowly trying to upgrade to these magazines as they shake out of the supply system. I wouldn't go to the trouble if I didn't think they were worth it.

blueinterceptor,

Of the Gen I magazines I've seen (without the rubber bumper) they have had the code of AE. There is someone in the EE who is selling non Govt/Export/LEO marked HK mags that are Gen I and they also appear to be AE marked at the mag catch.

Wpns Man

Thanks for the reply WpnsMan, and thanks for the service your providing to those guys over where you are.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I have used these HK mags since they came into service with the British army and found them to be a vast improvement over the USGI and Radway Green mags we were using with the SA80 (which is appalling!) I am now using them with M4's in Iraq and found them to work well with it even though it wasn't designed to be used with it.
After spending a year running tactics courses up the wet mountians of the UK I found some did rust, even on the chromed follower, this was on mags that had been dropped accidentaly and left out in the open for weeks, they still fired though.
Never experienced any problems with dropping the mags, even full of Iraqi dust (like Talcum powder with teeth) they still fired. They can take much more abuse than the USGI so I now buy them when ever I can.
Its the mag on the weapon when I go out on the streets as I can't afford to have that first mag screw up, might be my only chance, wouldn't be so happy with a USGI on.
We use them doubled up with a set of mag clamps, they don't bend or break when you dive on the floor or bash the weapon on the vehicle etc in your haste.
I even have one welded onto a romanian 75 rd AK drum to convert it to 5.56 for my M4 as a USGI one wouldn't have taken the weight of it all.
They are heavy and expensive and need to be oiled and cleaned frequently, but its a personal choice as to what you need you mags for, if you want 100% relaibility go for the HK.
Still I wouldn't knock the USGI as it is a very good mag and if your using them repeatedly as we do, just put in MAGPUL followers and some magpul rubber finger loops on the base to protect them from drops and bangs and keep an eye on the feed lips. We bin them as soon as they are suspect and swap over the Gucci kit to the new mag.
Don't bother with any RG Mags as they are made of really soft metal and deform very easily.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#47]
There are some things in this world that even people with an IQ of 80 can appreciate.  One such thing is an AR-15 mag from H&K compared to a USGI.  I've done comparison tests with over 20 friends and family.  Now granted this has jack shit to do with anything scientific *BUT* 100% without fail vote for the H&K Gen2 Maritime mag every time.

Why?  Because it's hands down night & day the best damn magazine you can ever own.  Period.  The term "night & day" doesn't even provide enough contrast for the two.

As much as I respect this mag I still didn't buy a stash.  Why?  I keep it real.  Armchair Commando DELTA doesn't need a stockpile of these H&K babies.  I'm not in a war and there is no RIOT going on.  For plinking which 99% of Arfcommers do the USGI mags fits the bill.  They are very expensive but worth every penny.  You do with your money what you will.

My wife thinks differently, she thinks I should have purchased 6 H&K mags instead of the 6 I just picked up from 44***.com

H&K $39.99 x 6 = $240.00
USGI $11.00 x 6 = $66.00

$174 diff.  which is 15 more USGI mags.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I knew I should have gone InBeforeTheJustGetMagpulFollowersInUSGIMagThey'reJustAsGood two weeks ago!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
There are some things in this world that even people with an IQ of 80 can appreciate.  One such thing is an AR-15 mag from H&K compared to a USGI.  I've done comparison tests with over 20 friends and family.  Now granted this has jack shit to do with anything scientific *BUT* 100% without fail vote for the H&K Gen2 Maritime mag every time.

Why?  Because it's hands down night & day the best damn magazine you can ever own.  Period.  The term "night & day" doesn't even provide enough contrast for the two.

As much as I respect this mag I still didn't buy a stash.  Why?  I keep it real.  Armchair Commando DELTA doesn't need a stockpile of these H&K babies.  I'm not in a war and there is no RIOT going on.  For plinking which 99% of Arfcommers do the USGI mags fits the bill.  They are very expensive but worth every penny.  You do with your money what you will.

My wife thinks differently, she thinks I should have purchased 6 H&K mags instead of the 6 I just picked up from 44***.com

H&K $39.99 x 6 = $240.00
USGI $11.00 x 6 = $66.00

$174 diff.  which is 15 more USGI mags.

See, I'll be taking 7 mags to Iraq, where more does not equal better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have 10 of the Gen II mags (black followers, rubber bumper on floorplate, etc..) and 7 of them have an AE date code and 3 have an AD date code (see pic below). The code doesn't appear to have anything to do with what generation the mags are.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top