Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 3:27:35 PM EDT
I have a dozen or so 20rd. mags that I want to put new springs in.
20rd springs seem to be harder to come by and more expensive.
The springs are a little weak they don't always lock the bolt back on the last shot were my others work every time.
So the question is, why not use modified or shortened 30rd. springs?
Do they have less of a spring rate?
TIA for info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:04:47 PM EDT
same pricew for a set of 3 weather it is USGI 30 or USGI 20.

c products
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]
Having never personally had to replace a 20 round magazine spring myself, my best guess is that simply cutting down a 30rd spring is the fairly common practice.

Sly

Eta: Using the C-Products link above, I'd say that's your best bet as you state you have a dozen to replace and the listing is for a set of 3 replacement kits which include extra floor plates and green followers. I'd imagine the floor plates and followers from these kits would need to be utlitized on a 30rd magazine. That's assuming that you have the older straight bodied USGI 20s which wouldn't accept the green follower. While the floor plates would fit on a 20, to me they just don't seem "correct" unless there's the slot in the floor plate for the floor plate retainer to be capture the floor plate itself.

Dare I add, that's probably one of the the better prices I can recall seeing for such parts
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:23:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:15:29 PM EDT
Thanks guys.
Have any of you used CP springs and are they any good?
How would they compare with Wolff springs?
They sell the 2 different types for the same price?
It looks to me that the chrome silicon would be the way to go over stainless.
What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:58:08 PM EDT
IIRC, the CS springs are generally considered superior to the SS springs. CS springs take a set the first time you load them and they are "set" for life whereas the SS springs take a set each time the magazine is loaded/unloaded. I believe the SS is the Mil-spec so the CS is considered the superior "aftermarket" replacement.

The above is open to corrections from those who know more about springs than myself.

Sly
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:06:36 PM EDT
Sly,
You must be in the spring industry. My background is 30 years in the spring and stamping industry. You are right on the money with your explanation of SS versus chrome silicon Enough said.

CP
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Triggerbender:
Thanks guys.
Have any of you used CP springs and are they any good?
How would they compare with Wolff springs?
They sell the 2 different types for the same price?
It looks to me that the chrome silicon would be the way to go over stainless.
What do you guys think?

I have been using some Brownells magazines with the chrome silicon alloy springs for just a little over a year and I'm impressed with the chrome silicon springs. Rumor has it... that these are the CP magazines so I assume they are CP chrome silicon alloy springs.

Brownells also sells Brownells/Peace River chrome silicon alloy 20 and 30 round magazine springs for $38.00 a 10 pack. I just recently stated rebuilding some of my older 30 rounders with these springs so far so good.

The Wolf magazine springs are neither USGI SS or chrome silicon alloy springs but rather Music wire springs made from high carbon steel. From my experience the are higher quality (more consistent) than the USGI SS springs. Wolf sells the extra power springs also for around $38.00 for a pack of 10.

I consider Wolf springs to be high quality springs but the current trend toward chrome silicon magazine springs seems to be the right direction toward a better mouse trap.

Top Top