Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
I sent my NY pre-ban 30 rounders to John Norell for teflon/moly refninish.  Excellent job done by the way.  Anyway, not that it really matters but all the mag bodies look alike without the floor plates on.  I have 1 colt, 1 center industries, 2 okay and 1 sanchez.  I pulled the springs and followers and sent him the floor plates and bodies.  The mag bodies all appear to be identical to this untrained eye.  I guess i just put em back together and not worry about it?

dave.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Body welds seemed to be different between my Center/Parsons and Okay. I'm not sure if it's consistent for the whole brand line.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#2]
How much did they whack you a mag to refinish?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
$5

d.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Not much way to tell the difference between the mags without the floorplates.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't ....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The only way I know of, which may or may not help someone less loony than myself, is by the size, location, quantity and shape of the spot welds on the spine of the magazine.

Keep in mind the following is all from recollection as I'm at the office and have no magazines in front of me at the moment... I reserve the right to make corrections!

Colt & Circle Kay will have 6 nicely rounded to perhaps slightly oval spot welds.  These spot welds will be evenly spaced.  The Colt Circle Kays will match since circle Kay made/makes Colt. (If 3 of the mag bodies seem to match, those will be your Colt Circle Kays)

Some of the Centers I've had had 6 spot welds which may nearly match the Colt & Circle Kay's but this  may vary in spacing, shape or quantity.  A few of the Centers I've had seemed to have the original six round spot welds with 2 or 3 additional welds which appeared more like a dash. ( -)  Also IIRC, the Center magazines may have an uneven line where the aluminum overlaps on the front and/or rear joints.

The Sanchez mags are a bit harder for me as I've only had a few and let them go fairly quickly, I can't really recall what their welds looked like. (Perhaps the spot welds will be larger?) ***Warning, disgusting joke in 3, 2, 1...  Mostly all of the Sanchez's I've seen were "dirty".

If you can match the 3 mag bodies w/ the closest appearing spot welds that'll take care of which is  Colt and Circle Kays.  If more seem to match, I'll bend your ear here to see if we can get em matched up properly...

Last thing, IIRC Advenureline's tooling was later used by Parsons and later/now(?) by Center.  I'm not sure how thick the Norell coating is but AL, Parsons and Center mags always seemed to have Horizontal scratches, more accurately known as "tool marks".  If one of your bodies has these marks- my bet is that it's the Center.

Lastly, do any of the magazine bodies have numbers stamped on the sides or inside the magazine @ the top?

Let me know what you see.  If you can post pics of the spot welds, I might be able to help you out further.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top