Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:36:36 PM EDT
I bought some 20rdrs that were in great condition w/ aluminum followers, but just needed some refinishing.  Sorry for the pic clarity--done at night in my garage.

I went to Grainger supply and picked up a can of Loctite brand dry film moly spray.

Here I am getting started:
I first disassembled them all and cleaned them w/ laquer thinner (just a little).  Some of them had adhesive residue on them. Thinner seems to work the quickest for adhesive goo and sap--for that matter (on your car).
Next, I took all the bodies up to the kitchen sink and soaked them in hot water and cleaned them w/ a bottle brush inside and out.  After most of the moisture was off of them I put them on a cookie sheet  w/ paper towels and baked them @ ~250* for about 12-15mins.

To get them clean and oil free before spraying I used a dupont product called Final Kleen.  This is what we use at my job to clean and degrease automotive parts before painting.  The paper towel used to clean them is seen in the pic on down.
Hang 'em up:

To spray them I used my heat gun to pre-heat and to expedite the drying process.
After I sprayed the bodies--outside and interior at both ends, I cleaned the followers and gave them a twice over:

Pic of complete body:
Before reassembly, I baked the bodies, springs and followers on a foil covered cookie sheet @500* for 30mins per instructions on can--lots of smoke.
Before:  

After:  
This arrangement shows the finish of 4 different mags:  (left-right)  30rd refinish w/ CRC Moly Spray, 20rdr refinish w/ Loctite Moly Spray, 30rd D&H from EE, 20rd same, 30rd D&H Tapco $10 special

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like fun, I should be able to get those pictures up in the morning for you.  

I haven't had a chance to take the pics yet, but I have not forgotten.  Wear pattern seems to be fine up to the 1750 mark.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
COOL!

Be careful not to scratch them!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
How about some bigger pics?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about some bigger pics?

+1
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
1800+ reload drills through this magazine, which was finished with the Loctite Moly Spray.

Hopefully this helps a little.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to know if the CRC holds up better than Loctight? which one is darker?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
CRC is darker, but on a different spectrum--this Loctite stuff is like a med. light gray.

The CRC is a grayish/od green.

As far as durability of the finish goes--it is my understanding that all moly/mil-spec finishes will loose the finish down to the anodizing on the mag.

I think the teflon coated mags are the ones that are supposed to last quite a bit longer...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
CRC is darker, but on a different spectrum--this Loctite stuff is like a med. light gray.

The CRC is a grayish/od green.

As far as durability of the finish goes--it is my understanding that all moly/mil-spec finishes will loose the finish down to the anodizing on the mag.

I think the teflon coated mags are the ones that are supposed to last quite a bit longer...

+1

The LaBelle (DH Industries) Teflon coated mags will last at least 10 times longer than any Moly coat. Let's remeber...the Moly is the original "Base Material" for the Mil Spec. Mags, and these were designed (with this coating) to be "Disposable" items. They were not designed for continuous loading and unloading.

That being said, I have had good luck with products like Perma- Slik G for mag refinisihing projects.

Tack

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#10]
nize work there....

i'm thinking about doing all my mags in OD Green so i can tell the difference between mine and others while at the range and the potential for getting them all mixed up......
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top