Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:14:23 AM EDT
I was at a local gun shop and saw one of the HK mags made for M16's, AR15's, etc.

Lots of $$$, it was priced at $65.00...but I gotta say, it looked like a better mag.

What are your opinions about them, those of you who have used them.

Also, where can a guy find the best deal on them???

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
This subject has been beat to death but in short the HK mags are worth the extra cash, just not THAT MUCH extra. $65 per mag is a prison raping, and your local dealer should be hung from the tallest tree in the state. Most dealers charge between $43-$50 per mag, but you can find them cheaper with a lot of research.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I am using VN surplus mags I bought in the 70s. They function perfectly after 30 years and tens of thousands of rounds. I may have updated them over the years with a spring or follower here or there, but some are still stock. A better mousetrap has not been invented in this regard. Of course you can still spend more, but it is hard to beat 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]

The HK mag is an improvement, but mainly through the lubricity of its follower.  If you want a steel mag, get the British parkerized magazines, coat them with Norrells, and drop in oneof the MagPul followers, and you will be good to go.  It gets you a bombproof magazine for $15 or so.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If you've got the extra cash, by all means buy it, but that's about $20 more than you should pay for them or more.  Personally, I've found that the D&H mags with the Magpull followers are just as nice and only cost somewhere around $12 each @ 44mag.com.  Only thing you'll miss is that nice and purdy finish.  Experience I've had, you can polish a turd all you want, but when you're all done polishing it's still a turd.  I don't need the fancy finish.

Focker out!!h.gif
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used one and frankly....not worth the money..

Take that money and buy good'ol USGI mags...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!!!

I have never used the Magpul followers or bought mags with them...so I didn't really know anything about them.

Sounds like something I should try, and 44mag.com has some great prices!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My personal pain threshold for magazines, specifically AR mags, tops out at $25. Anymore than that and I don't see the cost/benefit being favorable. JMO.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Those HK mags are better than the USGI mags. Stronger mag bodies, completely enclosed to keep out dirt/sand, and has a better follower than the stock mag.

But at $50+ a piece, you can get USGI mags for under $15, drop in a better follower and it will be almost as good under the same conditions.

Here in New York, I dont need a dent proof mag(i have abused USGI mags big time and have yet to dent one).  As for keeping out dirt and sand, well I dont put my mags through the dirt and sand on a regular basis. But Soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq have. I havent heard any complaints about the USGI mags here (maybe they have but I havent heard it). About the followers, drop in a new magpul follower if you dont like the greenies.

Bottom Line: For about $15 a mag you can have something that will probably work just as good as the $50 HK mag under normal conditions. Under extreme conditions the USGI mag will work almost as good.  The USGI mags have worked the best for over 30 years, they are awesome. IMO I dont think the extra $35 a mag is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you've got the extra cash, by all means buy it, but that's about $20 more than you should pay for them or more.  Personally, I've found that the D&H mags with the Magpull followers are just as nice and only cost somewhere around $12 each @ 44mag.com.  Only thing you'll miss is that nice and purdy finish.  Experience I've had, you can polish a turd all you want, but when you're all done polishing it's still a turd.  I don't need the fancy finish.

Focker out!!

Do those mags have any markings on them at all ?IE: Leo/Mil or any date code on the bodies ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The HK mag is an improvement, but mainly through the lubricity of its follower.  If you want a steel mag, get the British parkerized magazines, coat them with Norrells, and drop in oneof the MagPul followers, and you will be good to go.  It gets you a bombproof magazine for $15 or so.

Stickman (or any one else), what is Norrells?  Some kind of paint?  Please enlighten...  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1102535087.jpg

Who still sells the British mags?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on a rifle and then gripe about the cost of a mag when the mags are responsible for most of the malfunctions.  

If you have the money, get the HK mags.  They are much better, much more durable and most of all, CONSISTANT.  

I have had good luck with USGI but I also got a bunch of NIB OKays that were total garbage and wouldn't feed from the right lip at all...  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck trying to find the old British Sterling mags. I havent seen em in over 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on a rifle and then gripe about the cost of a mag when the mags are responsible for most of the malfunctions.  

If you have the money, get the HK mags.  They are much better, much more durable and most of all, CONSISTANT.  

I have had good luck with USGI but I also got a bunch of NIB OKays that were total garbage and wouldn't feed from the right lip at all...  

Yep, USGI is SHIT.  I heard that people in Iraq can't even get 2 rounds to cycle they are so bad.  You are much better off spending shit loads of $$ on HK mags.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck trying to find the old British Sterling mags. I havent seen em in over 10 years.

What?  They were all over the place about a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What?  They were all over the place about a year ago.

+1

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

midway down the page  Adco
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Shop around

Like Va_Dinger suggested, they are going for $40-50 and can be had for <$40

I am one of the biggest proponents of the HK mags,..... but for $65, it ought to come with a rubber on it!

Check Here. They are about $45 and sometimes less depending on inventory
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

midway down the page  Adco

I knew someone would post ADCO.  Those are Imperial Defense Blued Steel mags, not the parkerized.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have ran rounds through both USGI and HK mags at the same time...

I did not see anything in the HK mag that justifies the moronic price tag. I'm glad to have gotten what I paid for it when I got rid of it. I was able to buy 4 new USGI's with the money.

Slow fire, mag dumps, tactical reloads, dropped loaded mags, ect.

The USGI mags worked flawlessly as did the HK mags. Still...I do not think that the HK mags are worth anymore than USGI mags..

I have 4 USGI thirty rounders that are range mags that have had over 10,000 rounds each through them and other than a green follower, they are still going.

IMO
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am using VN surplus mags I bought in the 70s. They function perfectly after 30 years and tens of thousands of rounds. I may have updated them over the years with a spring or follower here or there, but some are still stock. A better mousetrap has not been invented in this regard. Of course you can still spend more, but it is hard to beat 100% reliability.

Amen to that! I personally feel the AR mags don't get much better than the USGI 20's of the Vietnam era.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#22]
No, not the newer British SA80 mags (not the HK SA80A2). Im talking the old Sterling AR/M16/AR-18 mags.

I remember seeing the SA80 mags somewhere recently. But I dont know much about em, are they any good?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen to that! I personally feel the AR mags don't get much better than the USGI 20's of the Vietnam era.

I cant get 20 round mags to feed in my AR, unless I use Federal or military surplus M855. Rounds tend to pop out of the top of the mags. And this happens with just 5 or 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I did a couple of mag dumps through my M16 w/ an HK mag for a dealer friend of mine.  It worked perfectly.

But so do all of my USGI mags, many of which I paid $6-10 for.

It was a very well-built mag, but I personally don't see the need to spend the extra money on them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Save your money on them and get the magpul followers.  Your gonna save a shitload of cash

POST 223!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the Magpul followers. IF you have a problem mag or you just WANT to go with the Magpuls. They will proably fix a mag that doesn't run right. I personally don't see that the green followers are that much of an improvement over the old style. The Magpuls should be standard in all USGI  mags. Now if somebody would just make something similar for the Taiwan M14 mags...........
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I find it odd that so many talk ill of the HK mag. The price is certainly horrible from most dealers, but function is another matter. Hell, virtually ever expert I listen too strongly suggests HK mags as a reliability enhancement for any AR. Hell, some of you seem to have never even seen a HK mag in person considering you cannot even describe the differences between a USGI correctly. The bottom line is this; the USGI/Magpul follower combo is a great set-up no question about it. The HK mag is just slightly “Better”.

Your mileage might vary, but I tend to listen to the guys that use them for real and rave about them.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 4 of the H&K 556 magazines. I carry my AR on duty and I have never had a problem with them. I paid only $32 per mag, and even at my underpaid LEO job, that is moeny well spent.

They can be fully loaded with 30 rounds, no need to understack and guess how many rounds you were able cram in, like USGI mags.

I like them because they are 'bulletproof' right out of the bag and they are new, not 10-20 year old surplus items. Plus, the finish on the HK mags matches my RRA finish!

I have about 10 USGI mags that are outiftted with new chrome silicon springs and green followers. These mags also function perfectly, but I do not carry them on duty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a chance to see one of the H&K mags recently and it seemed very solid.  That being said, for my uses, I can't see the extra $$ being spent on one.  If I were a full up Mall Ninja, that might be different.

BTW, SARCO used to advertise an M-14 magazine repair kit.
www.sarcoinc.com/m14.html
I don't remember what was in it, or what the quality is (Taiwan vs USGI) but if you're ordering parts from them, it might be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
A better mousetrap has not been invented in this regard.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. A better mousetrap has been made, but there was little wrong with the old mousetrap.

I currently own 2 HK maritime magazines, 8 MagPul upgraded (Tan follower) magazines with Ranger plates and 4 USGI mags with green follower and weird wide springs.

I keep the HK mags filled for SHTF situations. I keep the MagPul upgraded magazines in my Molle vest. I keep the USGI mags around the house for the kids to play with because they won't take the tan followers... (Maybe the new Gen2 followers will work.)

IMO, the HK mags are the best anti-tilt mags available. The spring in the HK mag is a beautiful piece of engineering. The follower goes down smooth and consistently as if it were hydraulic and on ball bearings.

The anti-tilt on the MagPul mags is great. I wish I had these when I was a grunt. For the cost, these are a great investment. Mag, follower and ranger plate = $22 ea from www.magpul.com

If I had the money, I'd only have HK mags. But if I had the money, I'd be driving a Range Rover.

It's your choice. 1970's GMC Pickup truck, Hummer or Range Rover. Anyone will do the job.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I find it odd that so many talk ill of the HK mag.  

Ironically, it includes many of the exact same people who will spend:

$350 on a high tech rail
or $1,200 on a new fangled upper
$400 for a weapon-light
nearly $300 on BUIS set (BACK-UP!),
$250 on a stock, several hundred on groovy new barrels,
$1,000 or more on optics!

and when it comes to such an absolute mission critical component as an upgraded magazine......they go nuts and scream $6 USGI

Pretty funny actually.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#32]
No, not worth it. US SOF forces have used them & found more than one problem with them.
Why spend the money for something which may not live up to expectations of good 'ol quality manufactured USGI 20's or 30's?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I find it odd that so many talk ill of the HK mag. The price is certainly horrible from most dealers, but function is another matter. Hell, virtually ever expert I listen too strongly suggests HK mags as a reliability enhancement for any AR. Hell, some of you seem to have never even seen a HK mag in person considering you cannot even describe the differences between a USGI correctly. The bottom line is this; the USGI/Magpul follower combo is a great set-up no question about it. The HK mag is just slightly “Better”.

Your mileage might vary, but I tend to listen to the guys that use them for real and rave about them.  

Well I did have one and tried it. It worked, but so did my USGI mags.

I have tens of thousands of rounds through USGI mags..I have 4 range mags that are missing finish, floorplate beat to shit and scratches out the ass. They all load and feed 30 rounds and never failed me yet. All I have done was replace the follower and springs.

The HK mag was well built and also 100% reliable. If I was a go fast type, I'd get them. But I'm not and I also have to be wise spending my money. The HK mags are to pricey for me, right now.

IF the price falls to the same as USGI mags, which they most likely will not, then i might get some.

Are they well made? Yes. Do they function? Yes Are they worth the money? IMO, No. They are overpriced.

With that said, I'm happy with my USGI mags and I see no need to spend the extra on HK mags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Ironically, it includes many of the exact same people who will spend:

$350 on a high tech rail
or $1,200 on a new fangled upper
$400 for a weapon-light
nearly $300 on BUIS set (BACK-UP!),
$250 on a stock, several hundred on groovy new barrels,
$1,000 or more on optics!

and when it comes to such an absolute mission critical component as an upgraded magazine......they go nuts and scream $6 USGI

Pretty funny actually.  

#1 - USGI mags work great

#2 -  how much heavier is the  HK mag?  

#3 - how corrosion resistant is the HG mag?

#4 - GF followers run 100% for me.  I don't see the advantage of a magpul follower, and now they onto Gen 2
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#35]

IMO, the HK mags are the best anti-tilt mags available. The spring in the HK mag is a beautiful piece of engineering. The follower goes down smooth and consistently as if it were hydraulic and on ball bearings.

Hardwarz

A good way to describe the mags. They are very very smooth.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No, not worth it. US SOF forces have used them & found more than one problem with them.

Not the GenII mags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, they're marked as follows:

On the plates they say:

Defense  Solutions Group, Inc
Fort Worth Texas
Cage 1L0J5

Very nice mags
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
USGI Teflon Coated mag +Magpul follower gets you pretty much the same thing for a whole hell of alot less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
how can you tell the difference between a gen 1 and 2,  hk mag?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A better mousetrap has not been invented in this regard.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. A better mousetrap has been made, but there was little wrong with the old mousetrap.

I understand your point but;

In 30 years when the HK mags have been dragged all over the world, used in real world harsh climates and life or death situations day in and day out, seen billions of rounds, we will know if it is better or not. Till then, it is just newer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'll take 90% for 1/3rd the cost everytime. Now maybe if I spent my days dodging bullets I might think that extra 10% is worth the VERY LARGE extra cost, but untill then I have 4 mags that I know work set aside for "Holy shit things have gone terrible wrong" duty, and I feel very confident about that decision.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I personally watched a few platoons of Rangers at the 2004 Army Rifle and Pistol Championships have HK magazine failures in M16s and M4s, most of which were failures to feed.  Their platoon sergeants ordered them to go back and get all the GI mags they could find to ensure they wouldn't have stoppages the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
how can you tell the difference between a gen 1 and 2,  hk mag?

The easiest way is the Gen 1 mags have the text on the mag body highlighted in white lettering

Like these:

And the Generation II have the same text, but they are all black. They are structurally different in that the 2's (IIRC) have an improved floor-plate and rubber core spine. Probably to prevent the dreaded "I dropped my mag, and all the bullets fell out" symptom.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#44]
You also have to keep in mind that the HK mags don't fit some issue web gear.  

They almost feel as heavy as a loaded aluminum magazine while empty, so my uncalibrated hold one of each up at the same time assessment is that the HK mags is about 1/2 as much more loaded than the Aluminum magazine.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#45]
thank you for the information
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought one HK magazine within the last month. I paid fifty something for it. I used it last weekend in a carbine class.
I like it. It has a very solid feel to hit. It loads smoothly. And it locks up effortlessly in the gun: it seats into the gun with much less effort than any other magazine I own. It just clicks in.
I fully intend to buy more of them.

I don't really care how many USGI or British magazines you can buy for the same money: I have 60-70 other AR15 magazines, mostly USGI but I have pretty much everything else that I know about also. The USGI magazines work flawlessly. I never had a problem of any kind with the ones I have. But that isn't going to stop me from buying these HK mags.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I use the D&Hs.  They're 100% reliable.  I don't see how the HKs can be worth 3 times as much.  If the HKs were about 25-30, then I'd say go for it.  I also don't care for how the HK ones look.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Are there any pics around of what these look like in pieces? I want to see what these uber spings look like.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Who can tell me if HK M16 mags are worth it??

Hi my name is TheMocoMan and I'm a High-Reliability magazine owner.  I paid $49 even for [1] and it's worth it.  Will I buy another one, not sure yet.  I have to compare the H&K mag with some frankenstein mags I plan to create.

Frankenstein Mag:
Gen2 Orange Follower
Wolff Spring
L-Plate
BLACK Teflon USGI 30rd
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top