User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 7 of them and they are my primary mags on my flack and in the weapon.  I also have old GI mags with Magpul follwers and Wolff springs to upgrade them.  Does any one have the instructions for taking the H&Ks apart?  I know they are "sealed" but still after two tours in OEF and pending a Iraq tour, I would like to take them fully apart and clea them.  What we have been doing is just flushing themout with water in the sink and lettingthem air dry.  So far, no failures from either set.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
They're easy to take apart (easier than USGI):

Put a bullet tip or punch in the oblong hole in the floorplate.

Push the floorplate to the rear (compressing the black rubber plug).

Swing the front of the floorplate down, and unhook it from the rear.

Reverse the above to reassemble.

Note there's no tabs to get in the way of cleaning like USGI.

I think they're considerably better & worth the $$$.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was at a local gun shop and saw one of the HK mags made for M16's, AR15's, etc.

Lots of $$$, it was priced at $65.00...but I gotta say, it looked like a better mag.

What are your opinions about them, those of you who have used them.

Also, where can a guy find the best deal on them???

Thanks!

I can't believe they are worth $65.  I've got quite a few very old USGI contract (various makers -- Adventure Line, Parsons, Center Industries, Simmonds, Okay, etc)  aluminum body mags that run flawlessly...  20 rounders with the original aluminum follower and 30 rounders with the black follower.  Some of them I've had for around 15 years, and they were well used when I bought them.  Most of them are the original springs and followers.  I've got a few newer 30 rounders with the green follower and no problems with them so far either, and you can buy all you want of them these days for under $15.  Even if HK's mags are a little better, how do you improve on totally reliable for years and years?

I'm also surprised that the people who complain about HBAR barrels being too heavy are not complaining loudly about the extra weight of these mags...  A full mag bag of these and you've probably added more weight than going between a gov't profile 16" barrel and a 20" HBAR...    Unless the HK mags aren't as heavy as the British or off-brand steel mags I've seen...  

I also don't know what the person who said that GI mags are junk has been smoking.  I seriously hope it was supposed to be sarcasm...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was at a local gun shop and saw one of the HK mags made for M16's, AR15's, etc.

Lots of $$$, it was priced at $65.00...but I gotta say, it looked like a better mag.

Thanks!

I can't believe they are worth $65.  I've got quite a few very old USGI contract (various makers -- Adventure Line, Parsons, Center Industries, Simmonds, Okay, etc)  aluminum body mags that run flawlessly...  20 rounders with the original aluminum follower and 30 rounders with the black follower.  Some of them I've had for around 15 years, and they were well used when I bought them.  Most of them are the original springs and followers.  I've got a few newer 30 rounders with the green follower and no problems with them so far either, and you can buy all you want of them these days for under $15.  Even if HK's mags are a little better, how do you improve on totally reliable for years and years?

I'm also surprised that the people who complain about HBAR barrels being too heavy are not complaining loudly about the extra weight of these mags...  A full mag bag of these and you've probably added more weight than going between a gov't profile 16" barrel and a 20" HBAR...    Unless the HK mags aren't as heavy as the British or off-brand steel mags I've seen...  

I also don't know what the person who said that GI mags are junk has been smoking.  I seriously hope it was supposed to be sarcasm...

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Whew!   You had me wondering there for a minute...  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW - I have two AR's.  One Bushy and one STAG over RRA.  They both run great with all the mags I have (USGI 30, COLT 30, a couple of Orlite 30 and a handful of 60's vintage GI 20's, two HK 30 Gen 2).

On the other hand I have a buddy who has an AR he built himself.  It has never been 100%.  He has FTF's fairly regularly with any mag he uses.  He has been working with it all summer to try to get it to run all the time.  I have no idea what he has done to it to try to remedy the problems.

Recently I had my RRA/STAG with me at the range and he had his problem child.  Long story short.  His USGI, my USGI, whatever.... problems.  He loads either one of my HK mags... it runs....  mag after mag.  Goes back to USGI - FTF's... back to HK mags... it runs.  

In my two I can't see any real difference.  They are both well broken in and run well all the time... but his ABSOLUTELY likes the HK mags.  Now I know there is something wrong with his gun, but it runs great with the HK's.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
a (poor) photo of the base plate view of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 HK mags. The 2 is on the right and shows the rubber core spine (bottom) that is apprently used to dampen any trauma to the mag - whether dropped, or otherwise.

I had heard "I dropped my mag and all my bullets fell out" comments from some, and apparently so did HK, so they came with a new improved version

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the complaints about base plates came from firing M203s HEDP rounds, the recoil shock would knock the plate right off and you would loose the rounds.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top