Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 1:37:00 PM EDT
I was at a "Fun Show" today when I spied two boxes of Adventure Line magazine boxes for sale.

Military surplus, from ~1970 New Old Stock & packed in original mil spec stamped  box .
(7) magazines to a box.
Dealer wanted $165 per box.

Anyone care to comment on price?

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken (I could be) the adventure line magazines had feeding problems, as purported by another arfcom member.  Apparently adventure line fixed this on their recent production mags (30's).  I'm not sure about the 20's though.  The unreliableness might not extend to the 20's, maybe someone else knows better than I.  Good luck.

Also, that is WAY too much $ for 7 magazines.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid quite a bit less then that for Colt mags still packaged [7] up from 1970. Still sealed 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I paid quite a bit less then that for Colt mags still packaged [7] up from 1970. Still sealed 20 rounders.

Where?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if you want/need NIW 20's, but if you go here (I'm not affiliated with him at all, just took a peek over in the EE)  you can get colt 20s for a lot less.

Also found this, he has what appears to be NIB 20's.  Don't get his adventureline, but he has another brand.  Colt mags aren't any better than any other mag, and they probably weren't made by colt anyhow, only bought by colt and had the floorplate stamped colt.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
At the very high end you could pick up like new Adventure Line mags for $15.
So at 7 mags there's $105.
That means you'd be paying $60 for the cardboard box.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know if you want/need NIW 20's, but if you go here (I'm not affiliated with him at all, just took a peek over in the EE)  you can get colt 20s for a lot less.

Also found this, he has what appears to be NIB 20's.  Don't get his adventureline, but he has another brand.  Colt mags aren't any better than any other mag, and they probably weren't made by colt anyhow, only bought by colt and had the floorplate stamped colt.  

What is wrong with Adventure Line magazines? Or is there something wrong with those he's selling?  Or something I missed?

I did a search of the arfcom archive, and this is a composite of the opinions I found on Adventure Line:

I bought 5 of them, they are in better shape than the old Colt mags I have. I paid $15 each.
I gave them a workout last weekend and they work fine.
A ok deal for a good mag.
--------------------------------------------------------

According to the FAQ, Adventureline mags supposedly have a tougher finish that the other 20 rounders of the time. Among the 20's I own, they are in generally better shape finish-wise than the other USGI makers. I usually stick strictly with Adventureline when buying 20s now.

The Colt 20s I've had; the finish is what I'd call a "soft" finish and is easily removed with solvents such as BC "Gun Scrubber" The adventureLine mags have a harder finish which stands up to nasty solvents.
I like the prancing pony, but adventureline mags are top shelf IMHO. (At $16/ea you paid a $1 premium over new, chalk it up to "collector "value and use the hell out of em!)
I have over 40 new Adventurline magazines from a surplus purchase and they are great. I have tested all of them, they all work and put them away.

Troy's Magazione FAQ has nothing bad to say about Adventure Line.

PM me if you need to.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is wrong with Adventure Line magazines? Or is there something wrong with those he's selling?  Or something I missed?
I was reading around here, and I came across a thread that someone had said that the old adventureline mags were giving him grief because (I think) they had an odd interior size....BUT, like I said, I am faliable and I could be incorrect as I do not have any myself.   Not a problem with the particular mags he has that I know about.  I don't know him, just thought he had a better deal than that fun show guy (and he is an arfcommer).

I did a search of the arfcom archive, and this is a composite of the opinions I found on Adventure Line:

I bought 5 of them, they are in better shape than the old Colt mags I have. I paid $15 each.
I gave them a workout last weekend and they work fine.
A ok deal for a good mag.

Probably more reliable than my memory.  I wasn't trying to knock adventurelines, I just recalled reading about a problem with mags.  I'm probably incorrect.

According to the FAQ, Adventureline mags supposedly have a tougher finish that the other 20 rounders of the time. Among the 20's I own, they are in generally better shape finish-wise than the other USGI makers. I usually stick strictly with Adventureline when buying 20s now.
Well, you know arfcommers, once they have a good experience with one product, they swear by that one product, even though every product eventually has a muckup.  But, see above.  I'm probably wrong, had a "oops" moment.

The Colt 20s I've had; the finish is what I'd call a "soft" finish and is easily removed with solvents such as BC "Gun Scrubber" The adventureLine mags have a harder finish which stands up to nasty solvents.

Can't comment, because I don't know, sorry.

I like the prancing pony, but adventureline mags are top shelf IMHO. (At $16/ea you paid a $1 premium over new, chalk it up to "collector "value and use the hell out of em!)
I have over 40 new Adventurline magazines from a surplus purchase and they are great. I have tested all of them, they all work and put them away.

Troy's Magazione FAQ has nothing bad to say about Adventure Line.

PM me if you need to.

All in all, I was probably incorrect.  I do have "old person moments" every once and a while.  Compaired to the mags at that cun show, those are a much better deal IMO.  Sorry for causing any confusion.  I will attempt to research my I had it in my head this way, and I will report back if I figure it out (don't expect anything, because I can be an idiot sometimes).
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Heck, at the last  funshow I went to, a dealer was trying to sell a new in wrap USA 30rd mag for $35.  I'll stick to the EE and Internet for my mag needs now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Heck, at the last  funshow I went to, a dealer was trying to sell a new in wrap USA 30rd mag for $35.  I'll stick to the EE and Internet for my mag needs now.

Yea, I saw some of the same, not quite that bad though.  I guess some people don't know that the value of a mag has dropped since the ban, or that USA mags sucked to begin with.  I saw people trying to get $25 for a preban used & abused USGI mag, and I was laughing inside because you can get NIW D&H teflons for about $10-12.

Guess it pays to know how much to pay.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got about 60 or so 20 round mags( I hate 30's), probably half are adventure line and maybe a couple of those aren't 100% reliable. I think they work just fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Adventure line works well.  Don't hesitate to buy some, but not at that price unless you plan to collect them like comic books.  A friend gave me a 7 cout box of new Adventure Line mags. The box was dated 1971.  I ended up giving them away to a few newbs at work.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#12]
The Adventureline mags 30s from the 80s I have, have a better fit and welds than new D&H and okay. The finish is also better than the moly seen on Okays. They don't make em like they used to.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top