Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 8:23:09 AM EDT
which mini14 mags are decent?  Which do I stay away from?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from USA mags and WESTERN METAL PRODUCTS...  Some of these won't even fit in the mag wells.

Also run from the no-name "Steel Replacement Mags"...

Unfortuantly good regular capacity Mini-14 mags are hard to come by nowadays.  The ones selling online for $10-20 are probably junk.

Try here for more info [url]http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?showforum=54[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
coues7, PMIs work great!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm with Wison, PMI's work great. When I had a Mini 14 and I didn't know any better, I tried a mag from MATCO which worked very well. I did have to try a few to see if they fit correctly but the ones that did were excellent performers. I still have them even though I sold the Mini for an AR 15.
I got these at a gun show here in So. Fla. I'm sure you can find some at one too.

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess I got lucky with my seven USA mags.  Never had a problem with them.  Sold the rifle and mags to my brother-in-law and he's also not had any problems with any of the USA mags.  Like I said, guess I was just lucky.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
In my Mini I have had problems with 5 of the 7 USA mags I have.  Everything from FTF to slapping the mag in and the whole mag unloads out the top of the receiver.  I have 2 40 rd. Western Metal products mags that have so far work flawlessly (they do suck in an AR though).  

As stated PMI's work great (that is what I mostly have) as do factory Ruger mags (Ruger's are very expensive and in my eyes not worth the cost).

Any more it seems to be a crap shoot as to what mags will and will not work in a Mini.  I have gotten to the "Buy it, see if it works in my gun and if it don't, sell it at the next show" point in my life.  There is a guy that is at the local shows that will buy used mags for a decent price and if I keep the bag I can usually get back what I paid for them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
PMI 30's are almost as good a factory, GET THEM.....John Mason 10's CAN be good but they are kinda cheaply painted and you have to watch what series your Mini is....they don't fit older series but they ARE CHEAP!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I concur with everyone who has said PMIs. I use the PMI stainless 20-rounders and they work great.

I also have John Masen 10-rounders and have never had one malfunction with them. But, it's true they have a baked-on black powder coat (paint). The finish does hold up well against scratches.

If I couldn't get either of the above magazines I would buy the ProMag. But anything else you buy will be junk and not worth the money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
my brother has had good luck with the mags Bushmaster has...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Can rounds be left in Ruger factory 5 and 10 round mags indefinitely?  Will the springs take a set?  If they do, are there any good aftermarket springs for low cap Ruger min-14 mags?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a good thing I bought about 15 factory 30 rounders before Ruger went politically correct and stopped selling them.  Thats all I use and the only ones I've ever had flawless performance out of.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had no problems with my 4 USA mags and have found them to be of a more robust construction than my PMIs.  I've often wondered if a lot of folks just assume that all the unmarked cheap Mini 14 mags out there are USA.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top