Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 7:25:44 AM EDT
I've got a Bushmaster 16" that I've been very happy with. However, occasionally it will lock the bolt back even though one round is left in the chamber. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's a 20 round mag or a 30. Both, btw, are mil-spec with (at at least what appears to be) good springs. The 30-rounders even have the much-desired green followers. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:51:23 AM EDT
Ok I just got outta bed so im a little confused./..How can the bolt be rearward without extracting the round in the chamber?...Or conversely, How can the round be chambered without the bolt forward?....Sounds like an extraction problem,But why only on the last round?...Anyways i know this doesnt answer anything just trying to clear my head,I guess i need some coffee....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:17:26 AM EDT
Definetely an extraction problem. The round fired, the bolt goes back without picking up the round and then the bolt locks back because of the mag. Had this happen on a Ruger Mk II, but not an AR. Clean the bolt real well and check the extractor for wear. You may need to replace it if needed. Why only on the last round I have no idea though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:44:31 AM EDT
Oops--speaking of not being awake, I apparently shouldn't type until after 10:00 a.m., or my first two cups of coffee, whichever comes first. I meant to say it locks the bolt back with one round left in the *magazine*, not the chamber. It ejects the previous round fired just fine. But then, it locks the bolt back like the mag is completely empty, when in fact there's a single round left in it. Thanks for replys. Sorry I didn't type it right the first time. I promise I know the difference between the mag and the chamber...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:16:13 PM EDT
The bolt stop moves freely? It needs a drop or two of CLP from time to time. How 'bout the spring under the stop, it should hold the stop open so the bolt can close except when the magazine follower holds the stop up. Try an empty cartridge case in the magazine, and insert on a closed bolt. Cycle the bolt by hand. Watch the bolt stop to see if it move. Be careful not to load the empty case unless you have a cleaning rod handy to knock it out. They sometimes stick quite tightly. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:46:35 AM EDT
Thanks, Chuck. I'll check those things out. I hope I can out what the problem is, as I'm taking a 4-day carbine class with this rifle up at FrontSight in a few monthes. Those classes are supposed to be challenging enough without having any weapons hiccups. Thanks again! -Warren
Top Top