Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2003 8:56:19 PM EDT
I was in the process of buying some black teflon 30 rounders and I have the option of buying some 20's also. The 20 rounders are curved rather then the normal "slanted" bottom mags. So what I am wondering is are there any inherent problems with the design of the curved 20rd mags because I have had a really hard time tracking any USGI curved mags down? Also, who manufactures these things anyway as no manufacturer is listed for the curved 20rd mags I am looking at. Thanks for the info in advanced.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:49:28 PM EDT
The only USGI 20 rounders are the straight bodied, slant bottomed ones. The curved ones are not USGI. Most people (me included) feel that the straight mags are more reliable than the curved 30's. Also, make sure that the 30's that you are getting are genuine USGIs, not "black teflon mil-spec" mags. Check the Equipment Exchange of this forum. The people selling there usually have better prices. Ammoman.com also has good mags. Ghost
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:39:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ghost-Shooter: The only USGI 20 rounders are the straight bodied, slant bottomed ones. The curved ones are not USGI. Most people (me included) feel that the straight mags are more reliable than the curved 30's. Also, make sure that the 30's that you are getting are genuine USGIs, not "black teflon mil-spec" mags.
View Quote
Good info there. If it isn't USGI (or USA Thermolds, IMO) Skip it! 20 rd USGI: Most reliable mag made, even moreso than the USGI 30 because the straight construction. Disadvantage: Feedlips more prone to warping vs the 30s (minor concern though). Any Non-USGI should be looked at with grave suspicion. the only popular "Nons" that have any sembelence of combat reliability are US made Thermolds & British Steel mags. Curved 20s are plain stupid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2003 4:50:44 AM EDT by wgjhsafT]
I bought one of the curved 20s because it was cheap. It really has worked quite well, I've never had any problems with it, but it has a hole near the top on both sides, possibly part of the cheap machining process? Anyway I don't think that it would ever be as reliable as a USGI 20 rounder. Its good for plinking and target practice, but I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:11:35 AM EDT
I've bought Curved 20 rd mags from R Guns,no problems noted. They are curved I believe to accomodate the Anti-tilt Follower. These don't have any other holes to speak of like USA "junk" Mags. Yes they are not USGI,but of the same construction except for finish. If you want new and don't care about finish,buy some! Or buy some used GI mags that were rejected for mechanical function and risk buying junk. These curved 20 rd mags are still made by LaBelle I believe and made available to LEO's. So take advantage now or risk the gamble next September (AWB Sunset). Wish I had bought more Bushy $6.95 30 rounders back in '91!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:50:35 AM EDT
These curved 20 rd mags are still made by LaBelle
View Quote
Any confirmation of this? If Labelle is making them I'm sure they are good quality peices. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:21:15 PM EDT
Also, make sure that the 30's that you are getting are genuine USGIs, not "black teflon mil-spec" mags.
View Quote
If it isn't USGI (or USA Thermolds, IMO) Skip it!
View Quote
I think that's more of a personal preference issue than anything else. I've got plenty of USGI 20s and 30s and plenty of black teflon steel Brit 30s. Over the years I've worn out several USGI mags, but so far I can't seem to wear out a steel mag, excluding POS USA mags of course.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:31:47 PM EDT
The curved 20rd Mags I have are made by Labelle. If you have the Teflon coated Mags they were made for DPMS. I have had zero problems with them and will continue to use them, excellent Mags. I think the 20rd curved Mag mentioned in the earlier post with the two holes in the bottom of the Mag is made by USA Mags which are junk in my opinion only.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:20:33 PM EDT
Looks like it is time to order up! Do you guys thing it is wierd that I have already ordered 6 magazines for my AR and I only have the stripped lower[LOL]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:32:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mrrogers1: Looks like it is time to order up! Do you guys thing it is wierd that I have already ordered 6 magazines for my AR and I only have the stripped lower[LOL]
View Quote
Nahh! You have to start somewhere.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:30:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mrrogers1: Looks like it is time to order up! Do you guys thing it is wierd that I have already ordered 6 magazines for my AR and I only have the stripped lower[LOL]
View Quote
If it makes you feel any better I've got a bunch of FAL mags, except that I don't own a FAL. A few years ago I got a great deal on them and figured I'd stock up...just in case [:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:12:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2003 10:13:36 AM EDT by Mrrogers1]
well I don't feel so outta place now[headbang]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:00:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
View Quote
If it makes you feel any better I've got a bunch of FAL mags, except that I don't own a FAL. A few years ago I got a great deal on them and figured I'd stock up...just in case [:D]
View Quote
I'm not alone. Several Ar15 mags ( 9 20 & 8 30rnd) and I don't even have my lower [u]yet[/u] (I do have the furniture & 2 barreled uppers thought). I even have 10 Sten mags (Tapco deal) for a future 9mm conversion upper.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:28:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RiffRandall:
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
View Quote
View Quote
I'm not alone. Several Ar15 mags ( 9 20 & 8 30rnd) and I don't even have my lower [u]yet[/u] (I do have the furniture & 2 barreled uppers thought). I even have 10 Sten mags (Tapco deal) for a future 9mm conversion upper.....
View Quote
Ahhhh, this makes me feel a LOT better [:)] Now that you have openly admitted that I can admit something else without feeling like a total freak: In addition to the FAL mags I also have a case of surplus 7.62... ...but I've never owned [b]anything[/b] chambered in 7.62x51. My SKS is 7.62x[b]39[/b]. To summarize, I bought a case of ammo to fill the mags for a rifle that I don't own [%|] I'm thankful that I'm not the only one. I've felt like a wacko for years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:52:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:51:03 PM EDT
Oly Arms bought quite few of the DPMS curved 20 rounds while I was there. They were sent out with the guns from the factory. OAI replaced the DPMS floorplates with ones marked for Oly Arms. Never had trouble with any I have and they're my range mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:55:50 AM EDT
Troy, (or someone else with experience) can you render an opinion on these curved 20's? Are they as good as the straight ones? Do they jam more? Would they be on your 1st tier or 2nd tier in terms of reliability? If you had a choice between a new curved teflon 20 vs a used USGI 20 in "good condition" for the same price, which would you buy?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:40:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:27:36 AM EDT
If anything a properly curved 20 rounder will be more reliable than a straight 20 rounder, all other factors being equal. The cartridge case is tapered and requires a curved mag. Given that the mag well will not accomodate fully curved magazines you'll have to settle for the "Straight End and Intermediate Arctuate Portions" design introduced in '69.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:34:01 AM EDT
Just want to say thanks to Troy for sharing all your knowledge patiently with newbies. I appreciate your no BS and no attitude approach. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:03:15 PM EDT
Top Top