Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2003 12:08:16 PM EDT
I picked up a couple of 30-rd SA80 mags via mail order from FAC that were advertised as being compatible with the AR-15.  I took one up the the Virginia shoot last weekend to try out and it wouldn't lock into the mag well, like it can't go up in far enough.

In analyzing the problem I flipped the upper open, inserted it, and it engaged the lock OK.  I then tried to close the upper receiver onto the lower, but couldn't close it all the way.

It appears that it is a tad too tall from the hole on the side of the mag to the top of it.  Eyeballing it, it seems I may be able to do some trimming/shaping and get them to work.

Is this unusual, or has anybody else had similar problems with these mags?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a small file and simply file the top of the mag catch hole in the mag a bit higher.  I had to do this on a couple if the English mags I purchased.  They work perfectly now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the 7 SA80 mags I've recently bought, 1 exhibited the same problem you describe. It appeared the feed lips wouldn't engage the bolt carrier correctly as the mag seated fine when the bolt was locked back. I've heard as stated by Russ4777, that with some filing of hte lips, it will correct the issue. Unfortunately for me, I tried to remedy the situation with a pair of needle nose pliers  before I read about the filing solution. Well, it seats fine now, but I deformed the lips enough that it doesnt feed rounds reliably at all. No big deal to me, the local gun shop has a good stash of them that no one else seems to be buying, so I've got a fairly steady supply close to me. J
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm always a little surprised, and suspicious, when someone posts that they started using the English mags WITHOUT having to modify them by filing the top of the retention cut, because EVERY one I've seen, with the phosphate finish, needed this mod to fit in a properly built and dimensioned AR.

Also, every one I've seen or heard talked about, needed the bottom on the middle leg of the original follower cut back about 1/8-3/16 inch to hold 30 rounds and still load into an AR with the bolt closed.

That being said, I still think they're a good value for the bucks, if you're willing to spend the 15-30 minutes it takes to modify them[:D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
DON'T TOUCH THE FEED LIPS!

As stated, a very small amount of filing in the top of the mag catch hole totally cures the problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm always a little surprised, and suspicious, when someone posts that they started using the English mags WITHOUT having to modify them by filing the top of the retention cut, because EVERY one I've seen, with the phosphate finish, needed this mod to fit in a properly built and dimensioned AR.

Also, every one I've seen or heard talked about, needed the bottom on the middle leg of the original follower cut back about 1/8-3/16 inch to hold 30 rounds and still load into an AR with the bolt closed.

That being said, I still think they're a good value for the bucks, if you're willing to spend the 15-30 minutes it takes to modify them[:D]
View Quote

Well you can be suspicious of me then. I bought 5 from ammonman and here is what i found..

Took the ruler to them and cycled them each about 20-30 times up and down. Then took a lula and loaded them to 30 rnds. Let them sit at home for about 3 weeks loaded.

Went to the range, smacked a mag quite firmly into the rifle, fully seated on an open bolt. fired all 30 rnds and repeated with the 4 remaining mags. Then hand loaded all the mags and kept on going without missing a beat.

Not a single problem feeding, seating or loading/unloading.

ymmv.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Color me suspicious.

The first set of brit mags I purchased required some opening of the mag catch hole, but I didn't "season" the mags at all.

The last batch I got were worked with a ruler, loaded to 30 (via stripper clips), then set aside for a couple of weeks.  Afterwards, every one of them seated against a closed bolt without a hitch.

I think it's worth pointing out that most of us are used to G.I. mags that have been used (if not plumb wore out), while these British mags are [i]brand-new[/i].
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DON'T TOUCH THE FEED LIPS!

As stated, a very small amount of filing in the top of the mag catch hole totally cures the problem.
View Quote

... Yup, works fine
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanx, guys.  I guess like British cars, British mags need some tweaking.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
As "ammoman" stated above, I recently bought 10 from him and [b]not a one[/b] of them needed a mod to work in my Colt, Bushmaster and RRA lowers.

Removed the follower to replace w/ a greenie, and low and behold, the black follower that came out is "identical" to the green one I replaced it with, so IMHO, ya don't even have to replace the follower. I have function tested 5 of them in 2 different AR lowers with zero problems.

Buy from "ammoman" as he is DA' MAN....., and the price ain't bad either.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess I am suspicious too, as I got 6 from Dans ammo and only two out of the six needed to be gently filed where the mag catch is, and all of them fit and feed 30rds without mods. All are gray with deep blue/black followers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems that there are more than one lot of these mags in the country.  Given the number of guys who have posted about having to open up the slot, and cut back the follower legs, it's clear that at least some of us have have gotten out of spec pieces.

BTW, the four I have are the only ones I'll get, and I only got them to have original looking mags for display. Anyone who follows my posts knows that I'm basically a Thermold kind of guy, and I have enough of those to hold me for a long while[:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the gloss black ones. No problems in my
Rock River Lower with a Model 1 Sales Upper.
Work fine in my AR
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a half dozen of the black parkerized SA-80's and they all work perfectly without any mods.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd purchased some of these mags from local gun shop, they fit and function perfectly.
I use these as range mags & save my good US GI mags for hard times.
I like the GI mags better, their lighter, so I can carry more of them, if needed to. [:)]

TG
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
15  going on 25 and all I do is replace the follower for a green one. No filing at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 20 of the Brit mags and so far I have had to file magazine catch holes on three of them. A couple of them I can only load 29 rounds in them.They seem like they are built plenty strong, and they fit, and function with out a problem as of yet. I am no expert, but I really like these SA80 mags.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a bunch of the SA80 mags and had to file a few of them to get them to lock into place with the bolt closed and the mag filled to 30 rounds.

Other than that I think they are pretty darn good magazines.  This weekend I did a lot of shooting and plinking with my AR and I only took the SA80 mags so I could test them out.  Every single one functioned great.  The black ones seem to do better than the gray ones (the ones I had to modify were the gray ones), but all worked in the gun and I didn't have any malfunctions because of them.  After being used a couple of times the gray ones that were finicky about going in fully loaded with the bolt closed did so without issue.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
The five that I have give me no problems, and no they have not been modified in any way.

Monty
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]
They work, they're new, they're cheap. Consider them a blessing!

Now if we can only find that stash of 20 rounders the brits are hiding! [;)]

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top