Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Garand_Shooter
Take a few minutes to read this link below about the life of a magazine contract. You will find they they can run years past their date and the specs do change during the contract. You will also notice the date when the followers changed types.

[url]http://www.starpayn.com/asbca/49307.html[/url]
View Quote

Very interesting reading, thanks! It shows many interesting things, inlcuding why Labelle is no longer in business, it is a wonder they managed to get a contract at all!

Very interesting are the date of switchover in the spec to green followers of 1989 with delivery begining may 10 1990 (at that time this contract should have run its course but Labelles incompetence extended the delivery times.) and the fact that the contract was terminated before complete delivery, and also that Parsons made a large number of the Labelle mags, and Labelle made a number for FN.

But the most interesting thing is that this whole write up is about the very contract that this magazine in the bag was supposedly made under (contract date on bag was 87, as normal that was the year that first delivery was to be made), and this plainly states in many cases the mags were anodized. So now that we find in the official government document that any mags made under this contract were to be anodized, how much more can we debate about teflon?

It mentions that that Labelle had

"flush @ 400 ton," "scrap left and right halves" and "scrapped assemblies"
View Quote

Thats a lot of bad mags, I wonder where it all went?

Some very interesting questions arise from this document. Throughout the life of this contract, Labelle was unable to meet its contract requirments for delivery of magazines, and was consitantly shipping welll below the monthly amount required. They did manage to make some for FNMI despite this, and that was noted. But if they were constantly unable to meet thier production quota, where did they have the production cabability to make all these teflon mags?

The contract was terminated with 43,347 mags remaining, I wonder if the packagiung for these was already produced and was used to later pack up mags like these.

And finally, what ever happened to the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of out of spec mags the government rejected on this contract?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Also of interest the initial contract price for the magazines was $2.66 each.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It mentions that that Labelle had

"flush @ 400 ton," "scrap left and right halves" and "scrapped assemblies"
View Quote

Thats a lot of bad mags, I wonder where it all went?
View Quote

Beer cans.
The aluminum was probably just recycled along with the normal production scrap. Whatever container they were stored in along the production route was probably dumped into a larger conatainer and carried away by a truck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a mag expert. I don't care if they are teflon or not.
FWIW
I put them side by side with my only other NIW mags from Parsons.
The bags are labeled the same except for the manufacturers name and contrat number, the Parsons bag has a date on it under the contract number.
The bags themselves were manufactured by different companies. The parsons bag appears to be slightly shorter. The labelle bag has extra bag on each end, past where the sealer was run. The parsons mag has extra only on one end.
The labelle mag is a smooth light grey. It looks very much like the current bushy 10rndr. There doesn't appear to be any wear spots on the finish.
The parsons mag shows signs of wear and is a darker grey in color. There is the usually assortment of swirl marks and scrapes.
I have no opinion on this matter, I'm just trying to share the information that I have.
HTH
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey John got my mags today. Everybody was right the best GI mags I have ever seen. Was worth the wait.    Thanks John                                                                                                                                                                                  
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#7]
whats the answer to the question at hand?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Got mine today and they are the most beautiful mags I've ever seen. Thanks, John

Glockdog,

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
News flash.  I just got finished comparing the mags I got from Lauer and the black teflon coated mags I got from RGUNS last year and the crease in the back of the feed lip is identical. I guess the mags from RGUNS are actually Labelle with DCM floor plates. Huh.  Anywho, I like'em.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
[):)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 Oh and Mil Spec is Mil Spec what I mean buy this is parts, receivers etc. are going to meet the same specs and in essence appear the same, I hate to spring this on some of you it may be hard to take.  
View Quote

Hard to take? Try hard to understand! What are you trying to say here?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
What's all this atf bull? No one here asked about replacement mag parts, and I'd wager most here know the law full well as to what can be replaced  if needed. Anyway, the ultimate reason as to why I posted the pics and asked the question is because feed lips are usually the first things to crack on an ar type mag. So, if they don't look kosher in the first place it's my opinion that they might be subject to early failure. Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm right, I don't know that's why I asked in the first place.

*shurg*
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I am sorry if I did not specify it in my first post, I am not zeroing out any one person and this is not all from things that were posted on this thread.  I am just saying lighten up to some folks.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]

SNIPPED
Quoted:
TRUE teflon type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT normal anodized found on basic USGI.
The best mag ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very hard gray high sheen hard as nails!!!!!!!!
Normal USGI have a very no frills, easy scratch, anodized milspec coating.
View Quote

I wish I had seen this earlieras I would have voted this as the dumbest post of the week!  

Where do I start?  This guy has no clue... Teflon mags are anodised first of all.  Anodisiation is very hard and slick.  Its a type III milspec hard anodization on both mags so its hardly "no frills" and is the best thing you can put on aluminum and the USGI top coating is moly.  Not to mention the over the top used car salesman crap that follows...

....THE FIND OF THE DECADE!!!!!!!!!  etc.

Sorry if noone else found this to be as humerous as I did. [:)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top