Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 8:57:54 AM EDT
Well I finally got off my ass and bought more mags. I now have 7 USGI 20 rounders and 14 USGI 30 rounders, plus 1 Israeli Orlite, I'm not too fond of.

This give me a good number to load up and haul to the range for a good day of shooting, plus the 20's are great for CMP matches.

Questions is should I get more? 10 more? 100 more? What do you guys think.

The Cheat
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
20 - 30 per rifle is a good rule of thumb.  Your pocketbook will dictate the limit.

Ask cohiba or Troy about how many mags constitutes "enough."  :)
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got 27 20-rounders and 24 30-rounders for my 2-1/2 (two complete, 1 lower waiting on an upper) ARs.  I'm always looking to buy more.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
1-30 rounder just 1 is a good minimum

any more than that and you go through ammo to quick....especialy if you go to the range with mags full...[booze]

how about --as many as you can carry loaded thats the magic number.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Minimum of 3 30 rounders and 2 20 rounders.

Or 3 20 rounders and 2 30 rounders.

All should be top quality.

The 20's are best for stalking or harrassment, etc.... and the 30's are best for extended firefights or multiple assailants/groups of anarchists, etc....

Potentially, I would carry a mix of each, minimum of 2 loaded mags at a time and a couple of boxes of ammo if reloads became necessary. Added to pistol requirements and/or combat knife, etc..... this load permits one to still retain the ability to get the hell out of dodge quickly if necessary(very important if operating alone or against organized forces).

This will handle 100 percent of defensive situations and 99.9 percent of potential offensive situations if SHTF.

Remember the idea is to hit the target the first time, and keep well concealed. Aimlessly shooting all the ammo in the world will do you no good if you draw unnecessary fire towards your position by shooting too much and hitting too little. It will just compromise your position.

Using your brain is more important than all the extra ammo in the world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple of formulas I use.

1) As previously posted:  As many as you can comfortably carry when loaded is a good MINIMUM. (But having a stash in another locale is good)

2) A comfortable figure I would say, is half the firearms value in magazines.  I.e., $800 rifle= $400 in magazines.  

By going rate,  a Bushmaster post ban would need 13- 30 rounders or same of 20s only (That's if you buying NIW for $30 mark)...Or better yet, 8-30s and 5-20s minimum...(You should be able to carry that many...so get more) If you're buying used mags for less than the $30 mark, still purchase half the firearm's value as some may fail.

Whichever of the two formulas result in a higher number of mags, go with that option.  But note, pre-bans would constitute a large stock of mags with the second option.

More is better, zombies are always hard to put down.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]
There is never enough, I generally like 20 to 30 mags per Rifle.
That is 20 to 30 20rd Mags and 30rd Mags to each rifle.[:d]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]
When I get there, I'll let you know.

Tj
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tj
View Quote

Me too. Don't expect to hear from either of us anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 16 30 rounders and 3 20 rounders. A total of 19 mags and I don't even have a complete AR yet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think there is such a thing as too many mags.  I've got over 100 30 round USGI mags.  I collect a few more everytime I find a good price.  (Had a bunch of 20's but sold them to fund a project.)  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only got 9! Well, ten if you count the one with cracked feeding lips that does not work. Guess i will be spending some cash on mags this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you use all your mags by rotating them or have a few practice mags for range use??
I keep all but four of mine sealed safely in  their little baggies.  My range mags are one Thermelt, an Eagle Arms, an Okay, and a worn Colt.  I figure I can rebuild these when completely worn out, and save my others for SHTF.
(By the way, can the springs rust in the sealed bagged mags?)
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Bare minimum - at least 10 per rifle and 5 per pistol. That being said, I go with 3 times that # "just to be safe". If we're talking about AR mags, I go with 6 times that amount :)

To me, it makes sense to use all your mags and rotate them on a regular basis. If you've got a lot of mags, it will take a very long time for any one to wear out. You should never consider staking your life on a mag that has not been thoroughly tested. You can't be sure it will function correctly until you know it has functioned correctly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a lot of mags.  Most are VietNam era 20 round mags, with about 6 30 round ones of the same vintage.  All have been rebuilt, and function well.  I picked up some new Orlite 30's, and like them so far.  Most of my ammo is on strippers, in bandoleers.  This takes up a lot less space, and weighs less.  I can grab a handful of bandoleers quickly on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
With the shoddy state of our gun rights in this country I try to plan for the long haul. If you break or damage only one or two range mags a year, you're looking at a lifetime total of anywhere from 20-80 mags. Obviously, this varies by your age and the frequency and intensity with which you train, but it's always better to have extras.

When I've damaged that 80th mag I still want to have enough new/good ones to handle any task. You also have to remember that AR mags are designed to be disposable. Estimated service life is roughly 1200 rds. Mags may still work after this, but may not insert easily or drop free, etc.

I have 220+ mags with around 120 of those (40 per rifle) set aside as "go to" mags should TSHTF. The others I use as range mags. When I participate in formalized training I load up ammo for the entire class before the class ever starts. This would not be possible with a basic load of mags.

Think of it this way, they aint making anymore. Do you want to have to rely on CMMG having mag bodies in stock when you need them? Will the replacement parts clause of fed gun law still be there?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#17]
The custom is to spend at least 2 months salary on mags per rifle.  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually keep about 20 30round mags loaded and about 5 20's loaded as well as my Beta.  This should handle most situations that may arise.  I also have about a dozen or so new Center 30's stashed for replacement mags if my others wear out.  These feed my 2 ARs adequately.  My AK only has about 15 mags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#19]
20+1 for my AR and 12+1 for my wifes and 16 spares make 50 not counting my 2 range mags and Ill probably get 10 more+ I have extra springs,followers and floor plates.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#20]
84 USGI 30 rounders, 10 Thermolds, 4 Orlites, 26 USGI 20 rounders, 1 Sterling 40 and several for my 7.62. Still have over a dozen on the way with my MG purchase. For Troy's formula I'm still a little short![;)]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16934[/img]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have ten 30 rounders, Six 20 rounders (only 2 are USGI type) the other are an off brand but have given my 100% function. Then I have four 10 rounders that I use the most. I used to mostly use them for practicing and shooting my high power matches. I figured why put the stress on my good mags.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to start a war but I only have one AR and less that 15 mags, mostly USGI 20's and 30's  I have five that are designated for the range b/c they don't drop free.  I think that I have a good amount, I'd rather have the extra money for optics or a new gun.  Why spend hundreds on mags when you really have no use for them?  If S does ever HTF you'll be long dead before you use 150 mags worth of ammo, it won't be a damn Rambo movie.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to start a war but I only have one AR and less that 15 mags, mostly USGI 20's and 30's  I have five that are designated for the range b/c they don't drop free.  I think that I have a good amount, I'd rather have the extra money for optics or a new gun.  Why spend hundreds on mags when you really have no use for them?  If S does ever HTF you'll be long dead before you use 150 mags worth of ammo, it won't be a damn Rambo movie.
View Quote

However, when you have about 15 mags [i]per rifle[/i], and you have a collection of rifles, the number of mags increases rapidly!

What happens if the AWB gets renewed and is worse? Be nice to have a few spares to last your life and to include for whoever you leave the rifle(s) to.

Plus, some folks can afford to recreationally collect, as a hobby. Nothing wrong with that, right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Gus,
   I am a poor teenager about to leave for basic training.  I cannot afford a bunch of mags [:(]  Maybe I'm a little jealous.... Who wants to give this GI a loan so I can buy more toys, [lol]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gus,
   I am a poor teenager about to leave for basic training.  I cannot afford a bunch of mags [:(]  Maybe I'm a little jealous.... Who wants to give this GI a loan so I can buy more toys, [lol]
View Quote

First of all, THANKS, in advance, for your service!
Having been a teenager myself, I can assure you that you'll be able to afford toys in the not very distant future!
But if you find yourself deployed and short of mags (or anything else), just speak up and I'm sure we can get a care package on the way to ya (including mags if need be!)
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 120 GI 30 rounders all stored away in mag carriers.  They all have the green feeders and they are are in excellet shape.  This is my SHTF reserve.

I have a couple of dozen steel and Orlite mags that I just use for the range.  They all work well for playing but I would not trust them for serious business.

I only have two twenty rounders that I mostly use for the range.  I like the 20s because they are very reliable and fit the 20 rd boxes of ammo.

I have 15 new Thermold that I have never used but I am in the process of trading for 20 rounders.

So all in all I have about 150 magazines for six ARs.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I have about 18 20's and a dozen 30's.  I focused more on getting 20's because I use them for competition.  If the SHTF, I'd probably fill up two 7-pocket bandoliers with loaded 20's.  I don't have any other load-bearing gear, so that would have to do.  

I'm not buying any more until I see what happens in 9/04.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 4 USGI mags- 2 good mags (one and a spare) and 2 range mags (one and a spare). I also have a Thermold that I wanted to compare to USGI.

I'm not going to blow hundreds of dollars on mags. I paid way too much for one of my mags anyway.

And Yes like eswanson I will wait and see what happens for 2004.

THOSE HK MAGS LOOK REALLY NICE.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
USGI 20- 34
USGI 30- 59
Orlite-  8
M1a 20-  5
HK91-    12
Cetme-   12
10/22-   2
HK93-    1
FAL-     3
AK223-   13
AK74-    26
AK27-    18
Eagle30- 3
Sten-    30
BM10rd-  1

Total=  227
WAshington MAGazine
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]

MAG WHORES! I have 2, count them- one--two!

I try to get in on good deals on the equipment exchange and not a chance, every swinging d*ck  who lives in front of thier computer is buying 10 or more at a time the moment a deal is posted I swear!!! I don't understand the 20-30 mags PER rifle? W-T-F???!!! I thought I was bad for just wanting 12 30 rounders for ALL my AR's. I dont even have one complete AR yet!!!  No wonder I have 2 mags. Everyone hordes them and then what ever I can get access to is $30 a piece.[>(]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I only have 3 30rnd for my AR.  I want to buy some 20 rnds but can't find a good deal on some good quality mags.  So if any of you want to get rid of them let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I have about twenty-two 30 round mags, two 20s and two tens.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I only have 4, two 30 round, one 10 round and one 5 round. I find that my ammo lasts longer if I force myself to reload a lot instead of popping fresh mags in [:D]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#34]
For the M16, find that for most shooting seven mags are enoug, however, for the "mad hour" type outings best to have enough for a case of ammo (swaping uppers to allow cooling).

Starting point for one friend is 21, which is a double load of 13 (what they used on patrol) plus a pocked spare and an extra in the pack for a total of 15.  Then half dozen more for everyday shooting.

That said, I no longer track mags by unit quanity, but by the box (even worst is how many links / belts does one "need" for the 1919 [;)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got five AR's, 100 30rders and 25 20rders.  I still buy more mags when a value is found.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't really mean to be a A$$, but can someone give me an real world SHTF scenario, were you need at least 150 30rd mags and over 3000rds. There is no way that you can carry that on your body, and if you could you would be so exhausted that you would not be able to fight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't really mean to be a A$$, but can someone give me an real world SHTF scenario, were you need at least 150 30rd mags and over 3000rds. There is no way that you can carry that on your body, and if you could you would be so exhausted that you would not be able to fight.
View Quote

If you are guarding your home after a Hurricane Andrew type SHTF senario then all you would need would be one 20 rounder.  If you are protecting your home during a civil uprising like the riots a couple or three should be all you need.  If there is a complete breakdown of civil authority and a serious situation lasting months or years you will never have enough ammo or magazines.  If nothing else the ammo and mags will be a currency.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#38]
5 USGI 30rnd
1 Or-lite 30rnd
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is a slant on the SHTF situation.  SHTF is when the US Government BANS the selling and transfer of magizines designed for Military-style Assualt Weapons.  Now, that is SHTF.  NO MORE MAGS EVER. [shock]

Now, the only mags that you will ever own are the ones you stockpiled.  This supply will need to last your lifetime.

It is not a question of IF this will happen, only question is WHEN.  The 2nd Amendment has been used as tolit paper by our government and the bleeding-heart citizens. [toilet]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj
View Quote

Me too. Don't expect to hear from either of us anytime soon.
View Quote

No matter howmany boxes of mags I get, you will never hear me say I hav e enough! [;)]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top