Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 4:18:35 PM EDT
Hello All,

I've heard about Perma Slik G.  I understand how successful it has been used and liked by the AR15.com crowd.  I haven't tried any yet but I have refinished somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 mags in the last year or so.

I use Hoppes Moly Coat. (DFL) It comes in a little 8oz (?) bottle and is easily sprayed on after cleaning the mag.  Right after allowing it to dry, say 30 seconds or so, the mag has an awesome flat gray finish that look like later Colts or the Heavy moly of the Adventure Line 20s.  

BUT this initial film, sort of like a soot, is buffed away to leave a somewhat shiny chromish/gray finish such as that found on early contract Colt (UI) 20 round mags of the 60s.  

Can anyone tell me if they have tried Hoppes Moly also or does anyone have a picture that you could post of a Perma Slik finished mag after all is said and done? I'm wondering about the end result color and hardness of the Perma Slik. Does anyone who has used Perma Slik want to do some comparison research with the Hoppes? (That's IF you have some lying around cause I don't have any Perma Slik)

Why I bring it up is that with the 8 ounce bottle, and using it sparingly, I can refinish 20-25 mags.  A little goes a LOOOOONG way.  This is not a hard finish but it looks like the original finish from the 60s on a Colt 20, it's inexpensive (I pay $8.00 a can) and can be applied or touched up in seconds.  The finish can be removed with CLP, gun-scrubber, or other harsh solvents but water beads right off. (Like the 60s Colts)

My mags have sold well with the Hoppes treatment at my local gunshows, but I would like to know if maybe Perma Slik is BETTER?

Sly

BTW, my email is at my office so I am usually logged off from 5pm - 8am MST.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
why don't you just buy some perma slik and try it yourself?   georgiaprecision has some with a  special price for ar15.com members

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top