Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/16/2003 4:04:29 PM EDT
I recently purchased two twenty round mags from a co-worker who got them from his dad. The father was in 'Nam and had these mags for a while. When I took them to the range I found I could only load 5 rounds in one of the mags. When I first got the mags I took them apart and cleaned them but paid no attention to a small strip of metal "banding" that went around the spring on one of them. After I removed it I could get 20 rnds in the mag. Both are Colt mags and I was wondering if this is a factory item or if it was an aftermarket item. The 5 rnd mag did not say it was a 5 rnd'er on the floorplate. This strip of metal is a U-shape and the ends are bent on the corners. Has anyone ever run across anything like this?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:35:48 PM EDT
A square U shape with the corners on each open end bent in?? If so this is/was a Colt 5 round block that they put in 20 round mags. Back in 1976 when I got my first AR , I ran into these in the mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2003 8:26:10 PM EDT by Treelo]
I was given a Colt 20 round mag and it had one of these blocks in it. I still have the block, but have no use for it. What to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:44:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Treelo: I was given a Colt 20 round mag and it had one of these blocks in it. I still have the block, but have no use for it. What to do with it?
View Quote
I will buy it, how much do you want for this part? (obviously for a reasonable amount!) Fire me an email so that we can discuss, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:32:35 AM EDT
Thanks for the help. I think I'll hold on to it may want to hunt with it someday and I'm a pack rat, I don't throw anything away or sell much gun related stuff. Maybe that explains all the clutter around the house.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:31:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:43:26 PM EDT
I've got one of the blocks that came from a Colt 20 rounder if anyone wants it. Shoot me an IM. -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:37:05 PM EDT
I have two of these as well. But would removing the block constitute the manufacturing of post-ban high-cap? or because they were made before the ban, Legal?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:09:31 AM EDT
Top Top