Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/23/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
OK. I know this isn't AR related. But youguys are always SO helpful to my little projects.

OK, I bought some magazines. They are Lanchester (or is it Lancaster - I don'ty know) 50 rounders. For those who are unfamiliar, they resemble long UZI magazines. Steel, with what looks like chrome followers.

OK, these are brand new. Except, when they were packed, they were covered in grease.

Now I am getting lots of this off, but I need toget the insides clean too so the follower slides smoothly.

ANyone ever clean caked dried grease from inside a sten mag before? And HOW?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2003 4:20:12 PM EDT by KY-Bob]
Dissasemble the mags. Get an el-cheapo aluminum turkey pan. Place everything in a way that it will drain. Put in a 175 degree oven for about 20 minutes. It will run out like butter. Then wash them in a very hot soapy dish detergent solution. Rinse and dry well, lube them up. You will be good to go. Bob Where di you get them and how much if I may ask? I have a M11 that takes sten mags and could use some of the larger capacity mags.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:23:40 PM EDT
Thanks Bob. I bought them on an auction site. It was Auction Arms. They seem to be getting a bit scarce. I also bought them for a Mac with sten conversion. Now, all I need is to get the Mac. As it is still in the first transfer to my state, prolly not this year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:47:04 PM EDT
You are going to LOVE it! [:D] Congrats on the new purchase. Bob
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:23:44 PM EDT
Well, this hasn't been e asy. 55 year old grease does not want to go away. I tried the over trick AFTER I had scrubbed the heck out of them with soapy water, carburator cleaner, and overn cleaner. All of that w as required to get the followers out of the mag bodies. One I thought would never come out. Once I got that far I ovened em. Didn't seem to do much. But, after, they started to come clean with the soapy water. Steel wool and elbow grease and they are now offically degreased and clean. Question is - now what? I mean, how should I preserve them against tust and oil/lube them to work. I don't want something that will attract more crap and crud.
Top Top