Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/12/2003 12:53:22 AM EDT
Work with about 80 guys at a factory in arkansas.Talked TO A freind about my AR15,He said he had some gi 20s in his attic since 1983.He brought them to work next day. USGI Colt 20s marked 223.Bought 3 mags in canvas GI pouch for 30 bucks.Mags were in great shape! Another guy dug around in his closet,found 5 USGI preban 30s,two with green followers.Bought all 5 for 50 bucks.Still another friend had 2 more USGI COLT 20s marked 223.Bought both for 10 each.A few more guys have GI mags somewere around thier house,and will sell them to me when they find them.So far Ive got 10 GI preban mags for a houndred bucks.A good cleaning,green followers and 2 coats of permaslic, and they are all like new!Talk to freinds and co workers,you never know who might have old mags setting around the garage or shop!Most ex military guys kept some mags they never use.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:00:00 AM EDT
Whoa! You didn't put green followers in the 20 rounders, did you? The standard aluminum folowers are 100% reliable unless you put the spring in backwards. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:29:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chuck: Whoa! You didn't put green followers in the 20 rounders, did you? The standard aluminum folowers are 100% reliable unless you put the spring in backwards. -- Chuck
View Quote
I just took apart and cleaned a 20 rounder (Colt 5.56mm) with aluminum follower. How do I know if I put the spring on backwards? It seems it could only go one way and onto the eyelet of the follower. The mag seems to be fine. Haven't fired it yet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:48:00 PM EDT
Green followers in the 30s only.Just cleaned the aluminum followers on the 20s.But thanks for the heads up Chuck.Learned a lot from Troys mag facts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:14:22 AM EDT
Easiest way to determine if you installed the spring on the follower correctly is to load the magazine. If you need a hammer to put the 20th round in there the spring is probably on wrong. Or just slide the floor plate off. The little nub at the bottom end of the spring should point forward, and the nub at the top should enter the right side of the follower and exit the left. Don't rotate the top of the spring to make it "more secure." Improper assembly is the primary cause of magazine failures and the origin of [i]only loading 18 rounds per magazine.[/i] The secondary reason is putting 21 or 22 rounds in the mag! If you can cound or use clips (which weren't common in the infantry until 1968) check your springs and load them with 20 rounds. -- Chuck
Top Top