Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/11/2003 4:44:20 PM EDT
i will have a new PCR-16 olympic. on tuesday... also looking forward to a new ultramatch when i can get the cash... i have (1) THERMOLD 20 ROUNDER AND LOVE IT... NICE AND SHORT FOR BENCH REST SHOOTING... how about some opinions of these mags? has anybody had problems or am i just lucky? thanks... i also have the 30 rounders and like them too..... but before i go looking for more 20 rounders i would like to hear some thoughts of them from you guys who have more experince... thanks...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:54:24 PM EDT
I have and have used the thermlds. 1. They feed reliably, I think that's going to be the general concensus... 2. The thermolds made here in the good ol' US of A, are superior in material to those made in Canada, oh Canada. 3. The drawbacks of the Thermolds are: a) In colder weather the material becomes very brittle, and if/when dropped on herd material, concrete/rock etc. they will tend to crack. b) In full auto fire, w/ the tremendous amount of heat generated in the chamber area of ARs the Thermolds tend to heat, then melt then warp, earning them the affectionate name "Ther-melts", losing close tolerances at and or about the feedlip area. Not ideal at all, w/ an already sensitive weapon system like the AR family of weapons. Having said all of that I use plenty of Thermolds. Would I want to trust my life to them? No, but if I had to I wouldn't be overly concerned. 1st choice would still be GI, w/ Them's a 2nd. And I'd pack Thermolds deep into the woods for a hunt/plink trip, w/o fearing they wouldn't run well for me. Cold enough to crack to crack a Thermold, cold enough for me to get my @$$ indoors by a fire[;)] If cold weather/action/tactical shooting situations in cold weather, and full auto fire aren't a concern for you I think you'd find a good deal in any American made Thermold. Good luck either way and enjoy...Troy'd I miss anything.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:06:48 PM EDT
Uh-oh [size=6]MAGAZINES not clips--MAGAZINES!!!!!!!![/size=6][;)] Clips are strips of metal that hold rounds to feed magazines quickly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:11:36 PM EDT
cool beans... just won a few at auction... now i have 4 of em... all made in WILSON NC... yes i heard of the canadian mage being more prone to heat warpage... did'nt hear all too much of the ones made in the USA... i think they will be great for target shooting.. i much prefer the short polymer or whatever it is made from thean the metal GI... for target shooting anyway...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:50:51 PM EDT
I've got 2 D&D Ind. Wilson N.C. thermolds and they run FLAWLESSLY.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:13:49 PM EDT
I like the 20 round milspec mags for plinking and target shooting. Tried to find some 20 round thermolds but could never find them for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:50:47 AM EDT
I have 3 of the Wilson NC mags and they run great. I have used them at informal HP shoots and just recently retired them to range use because I found some Colt 20 rnd'rs to use(only to keep in the more formal MIL-SPEC form). I would buy all I could find personaly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:09:28 AM EDT
I live in Wilson NC! The facility still makes mags, but for export only. It's a little place.
Top Top