Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2003 3:15:41 AM EDT
I have several 20 round magazines that are in bad shape, and since they all need a face lift, I am considering having them Teflon coated.
Has anybody here at AR15.com ventured there before?
I have contacted an industrial supplier who does this kind of work (their main business is coating frying pans, so they do have some experience in this respect...) and are willing to give it a try. However, several questions arise:
- Coatings. Since there are different coatings available, different also in colour ranging from light grey to matte black, which Teflon type would be the most appropriate? I personally prefer the light grey, similar in colour to the old LaBelle magazines, but what type of finish is appropriate for the job at hand?
- Temperature. During the process it is necessary to heat the aluminum body up to 700 F so that the Teflon can adhere properly. Could this heat damage the body in any way? I know that the body is anodized aluminum, but does it also undergo some sort of heat treatment during manufacture?
- Thickness. How thick should the Teflon coating be? Obviously as thin as practical, but again, does anyone have any numbers in this respect?

Considering that these are all preban magazines, I am thinking of sacrificing just one for the cause, see the results, and then take the plunge if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can supply.

P.S. I have already purchased two cans of Permaslick and I am ready to proceed, just in case the Teflon job isn’t feasible...

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The teflon job should certainly be feasible.  The first 2 '"Q"s should be answered by the finishing co.  If they can't, don't let them touch your mag's.  They will know what temp. extreme is required if any, and whether or not the thickness of the Al of those mag's will be able to withstand those temps.
The color, that's going to be up to you, and the co. depending on availability/option of colors.
Thickness, I'm not sure.  But, do a search on re-finishing, finishing.  RoBar, Lauer, etc. all refinish for the Firearms industry they'll have better answers.  Good luck, let us know how it comes out.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top