Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2003 2:35:02 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to purchase 24, NIW, Parsons 30 round USGI mags.  They were manufactured in Feb 1986.

They are still in the original, sealed, plastic wrappers but it looks like some of the finish has worn off (it looks like grey dust in the bag).

I need to know what would be a fair price for them.  The guy selling them doesn't really have a good idea of the value & I don't want to take advantage of him (or be taken advantage of).

It is an all-or-nothing deal--all 24 or none.

I am thinking of offering him $400.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If the guy doesn't have an idea of their worth offer $5 each.....

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
(it looks like grey dust in the bag
View Quote

Hmmm, hate to be the skeptic, but I have seen a lot of NIW mags and they did not have enough "dust" in the bottom to be worth mentioning.  Could be they are fine and just had a rough handling life, also if they were re-finished or some other shenanigans going on you would think they would get rid of the evidence before they were sealed.  I guess these are just points to ponder as I can't make a decision unless we had some pix.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
$400 for them is fair. That comes out to a little less than $20 a piece for them.

Market value is about $25 a piece for them....
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Parsons are good USGI mags.  Will have the black followers, but that is cheaply remedied.

Due to the finish being off, chisel the guy down as much as you can.  Offer him $10 each, because you will need to refinish them.  Not really, they will work just fine as is.  But use that as an excuse.  Besides, tell the guy, in 16 months you will buy new ones for about $13 each.

The finish is simply Moly Disulfide Dry Lube, which comes in a spray can.  That is all it is, nothing special.  You can buy this in industrial hardware stores and also the Permasilk brand (see the refinishing FAQ at the top of the magazine category).

Take the mags apart and wash the bodies in water and a little dishwashing detergent.  Scrub out the insides with a bottle brush, I use an old baby bottle brush.  Rinse well with hot water, and set aside to dry.

When dry, lay them out on newspaper OUTSIDE.  The vapors from moly dry lube are very nasty.  Spray one side, getting the front and back edges, too.  Just a light coat.  Wait 30 minutes, flip them, and coat the other side lightly.  I usually just put one coat.  

Reassemble.  You might want to substitute green followers at this time, and I advise it.  Cody @ Magazine Specialties  at [email protected]  Who has a banner ad on AR15.com has green followers and orange, as well as better springs.  But the ones that are in these mags are OK.

The mags will now look like brand new.

Parsons (aka Adventure Line) were good mags.  I have about half a dozen of them myself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top