Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 1:22:10 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if keeping mags loaded contributes to pre-mature stress on the springs by keeping them compressed. I have 30rd mags loaded with 20 rds to keep less pressure than if it were fully loaded. And on a different subject but related issue.......... does keeping the gun stored with the bolt held open pre-maturley wear the buffer spring?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:30:41 PM EDT
Welcome to the site! [beer] You may want to read the magfaq that is tacked at the top of this forum to answer all your mag questions.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 11:49:14 PM EDT by ConfederatemummyAR15]
If you plan on using your guns for self defense like I do, whats the point of empty mags? I own over 12 guns, and I have a total of over 70 mags for all of them, and I keep everyone of them loaded to full capacity. (except the ar mags, I load them to 29, they just feed better) The price of having to replace springs every 5-10 years is a lot more appealing than dying young. I know a guy that kept a 30rd AK mag loaded fully for somthing like 9 yrs and it feeds like it's brandnew.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:24:06 PM EDT
[coffee] Thanks for your responses......... how about the buffer spring being compressed??
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:35:24 PM EDT
Buffer springs are cheap, and easy to replace. Wear on a spring comes from compression cycles, not from being compressed. Personally, I keep the bolt closed, it can't accidently slam forward like that. The question I have, can the aluminum feed lips be stressed by long term storage of a loaded mag? Springs are a lot easier to replace than mag-bodies.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:04:05 PM EDT
Load the 30's up to capacity and when you go to the range to shoot, use that mag first. When you get home and get done cleaning and such, load a different mag up. By rotating your mags none of them will have a chance to have spring set. Also, I believe it is repeated loading and unloading that will mess up a spring.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:34:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By klutz347: Also, I believe it is repeated loading and unloading that will mess up a spring.
View Quote
You are correct klutz347. There are some new fangled chrome silicon springs floating around. Computer Guy sells them on the EE and you will sometimes see his ad banner at the top of the forum pages. The chrome silicon springs are parkerized and are reputed to last 1000 times longer than the standard GI mag springs. The nice part is they are just about the same price as regular mag springs. I've got 25 mags I'm refurbishing with orange followers and chrome silicon springs so I'll start field testing them soon but I imagine it's going to take me a long, long, long time to wear one out. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:30:26 PM EDT
You can always buy new spings...
Top Top