Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:37:56 PM EDT
Anybody every tried nickel or chrome plating their mags. My beretta has those stainless mags and they look really nice. In another topic I asked if the RRA mags were plated and I was informed that they are mil-spec. I thought it would look cool to nickel or chrome plate the mags. They might look pretty cool if polished out of a rough finish but not necessarily miror finished. They might even reduce friction and keep the finish longer. Any ideas/thoughts welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:50:42 PM EDT
Doesn't make any sense to me unless you want BLING BLING. Think about it what purpose would it serve to have a offensive and or defensive,or even a hunting weapon reflect light.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:54:28 PM EDT
Colt made some chrome or nickel plated mags for the sp-1 at one time. I've never seen any but I bet they look cool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:30:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:54:12 PM EDT
Well, if you have a Coltguard rifle, what's the point in refinishing the mags? But, I do have a Coltguard rifle. In fact, it's the third one I've owned! Kept buying/selling until I got a real clean one since the EN finish scuffs so easily. Put a set of walnut furniture on it and it looks real nice in a strange sort of way. But though I've had a few of the Coltguard ARs, I've yet to see any mags finished the same way. I've heard of them, but then I've heard of Bigfoot, too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:52:45 AM EDT
The reason why I want to nickel/chrome plate the mag is because I have a SS Bull barrel and a stainless bipod, and the adjustable buttplate has stainless fittings. If I could finisht the mag in chrome or nickel without polishing it to a mirror finish (I think that looks bad on a gun) then I think it would have just enough contrast between flat black and shiny metal. Just my opinion. This is a Varmint rifle with a 24" barrel so it won't be seeing combat use or anything that reflecting light would come into play but I would keep atleast one matte black mag as a reserve. Just my thoughts, sounds like some like the idea and others hate it so I might try chroming one. With a good quality chrome, it shouldn't scuff for a while; why else do they chrome barrels- for increased wear time. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:32:11 PM EDT
Instead of chroming the mag, have you considered polishing the aluminum mag body. Polished aluminum looks like chrome. The hard part would be how to remove the yellow-color anodizing. Polishing the mag seems more durable and more easily done than chroming.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:27:05 AM EDT
Instead of plating, strip off the old finish, polish, then clear anodize.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 1:36:22 PM EDT by NickFury]
I picked up a batch of the English steel USGI mags from ammoman not long ago, and I have been thinking of stripping a few of those and sending them to Robar for their excellent NP3 finish - matte silver appearance & more corrosion-resistant than stainless steel! I have a couple of Beretta 92s with that finish & have been very impressed with their look & durability & the self-lubricating nature of the finish. It's not cheap, but it might be worth it for a brace of "stand up to (almost) anything" magazines.
Top Top