Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2003 6:07:05 AM EDT
I have four 32-rd Sten mags with the welded-on mag well fillers from Olympic for my CAR-97. These are the standard 32-rd Sten mags that have been refinished and have had a steel mag filler welded on the rear of the mag by Olympic. They are a bitch to load by hand past 15-to-20 rds, due to the extreme spring force and mag design. Because the mag well block is located at the back of the Sten mag near the top, the usual mag loaders don't work because they can't slip over the top of the mag, due to this obstruction. Does anyone out in AR15 Land have any similar experiences and/or positive ideas?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a mag without the block welded on, you can take your springs one at a time using a dowel (or equivilent) to "work" the spring, 2000 compressions were the first noticable increase in ease of loading during an experiment with some new ones that a friend received last Friday.

Perhaps one of the sections of the spring could be removed?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I got your response, thanks. Unfortunately, the block is welded onto these mags. The upside is that they fit and function well, with no jams. The downside is that you can't use any of the conventional sten mag loaders, since they won't fit over the top of the mag with the block there.

Olympic claimed to have had a workable mag loader for these, but was out of stock. I tried loading 20-rounds in these and keeping them like this for a few weeks to compress the springs somewhat and it worked a little bit. Still hard to load the mag by hand past 20 without crushing the tip of your thumb in the process. Thanks again for your input.
phoenix27
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Oly does have the loaders, they just seem to be out of stock forever. I think they just wait until they get enough orders to make a batch, instead of stocking them.

I got one at the SHOT show, last day of the show asked if they wanted to sell it. (display model)
:)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, Oly was out of stock eight months ago also. I have since sold my rifle, but the best solution I could come up with was a Glock loader. I took a standard loader that come with every Glock, and dremeled out the back of the loader. I cut out to the side edges and right up to the top edge. Then just put it over the top of the magazine and use it as it was intended. Push one round down while putting the next one under the feed lips. It seems flimsy at first, but I have loaded probably a thousand rounds that way, without the loader breaking. If it does, it's a cheap piece.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone on this forum gave me a lead for someone that had them.  I wish I could remember where it was.  It works great.  I was not able to load more than about 15 without it.  You might try posting on the pistol caliber forum.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I found it!

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/pistol_mag_loader.htm
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top