Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:31:57 PM EDT
When I bought my lower, I also picked up a NIW English steel magazine. I have had 0 problems with this mag. It seats easily, feeds reliably, and drops free when I hit the button. Yesterday, I bought two new steel magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt and both of them don't drop free. They're black, one of them says Colt and AR-15 on the bottom, the other just says AR-15. They were roughly $15 each. I also tried an Israeli plastic mag, and it had to be trimmed in order to fit in the gun, and doesn't drop free either. So, is my mag well too small, or am I just not lucky when it comes to buying magazines?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:20:35 AM EDT
I too purchased some mags from Cheaper Than Dirt for my new DPMS. I purchased 2 20's and a 30. One 20 said nothing, one sadi AR-15. The 30 said Colt AR-15. None of the mags will drop free. They are really snug. I will be testing them out this weekend for functionality. CTD guarantees them for functionality for 30 days past purchase. If they fire fine, I don't mind if they are snug, but my next mags will be brand name. Lesson learned for me, stick with brand name USGI type mags......
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:10:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 9:12:00 AM EDT by W-W]
Buy a couple of USGI mags on the EE...You'll see why they are worth the additional cost. I did the same as you and bought a cheapie or 2. A true waste on money. look here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=160341&w=activePop
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:49:26 AM EDT
FWIW, I have a new RRA lower, and 4 mags (3 USGI, 1 Orlite). All insert & lock up easily, but the Orlite and 1 USGI won't drop free. The Orlite also won't lock the bolt open. --Otter
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:54:17 AM EDT
That reminds me. Orlite is the brand of the Israeli plastic mag that I got. For some reason, when I saw the "Colt" brand name, my mind though, "USGI." Yeah, I know, it said AR-15 too...I guess I just figured that they were the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:17:37 PM EDT
I have several of those 'tight' steel "Colt", "Colt AR-15" or no-name after-market mags. They are not USGI mags. They are not true Colts. I don't know if Colt ever made steel mags. I think they only made aluminum ones(someone correct me if I'm wrong). Those mags are a piece of sh*t. I cannot emphasize this enough. You must read Troy's FAQ (http://magfaq.tripod.com/). At least one mag you bought is probably a USA magazines which, as Troy writes, "are often misleadingly advertised as "USGI" mags, especially the aluminum-bodied mags. These are quite possibly the worst AR mags on the market, and should be avoided. No brand markings." The English steel mags are excellent quality (IMO) and should feed/function/drop freely (I have about 20 of these). I had difficulty putting in a green follower in only one of them, and a little sandpaper on the follower took care of that. I'm sure your mag well is just fine. What you need to do is find some more of those English steel mags and also do as W-W says and buy a couple of USGI mags on the Equipment Exchange and try them out. You'll be pleasantly surprised. USGI are awesome. Plus, I like the fact that they are a little lighter because they're made of aluminum. I would rather pay $20-25 for a mag that works than $15 for a mag, and deal with a lot of frustration. Does it sound like I'm speaking from experience? It's good to learn from your mistakes, but even better to learn from the mistakes of others.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:11:22 PM EDT
Now if you had only read the Magfaq before you bought your mags.[;)]
Top Top