Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 12:27:36 AM EDT
What were the prices of hi-cap mags (any kind) before they were banned? If the AW ban sunsets (fingers, toes, and eyes crossed), will the prices go back to what they once were?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always wondered that myself.  Along with some price comparisons on other parts,  even the whole AR15.  I do know that before the ban on magazines,  you could get a 50 round for a Ruger 10/22 for around $20 to $25.  They are anywhere from $80 (if you are lucky) to $120 now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh no, Ramline 50s for the 10/22 were much cheaper than that. I managed a gun store from '88-'90, and I recall that they retailed for $9.95 apiece.

Used USGI AR mags were anywhere from $3.95 to $4.95, all day long. The 20s cost less than the 30s, generally.

Handgun mags were in the $10-$20 range, depending on whether they were aftermarket. Some things were rare and a PITA to find (Steyr GB mags) - those were more costly.

I'll bet someone who posts here has some retail catalogs from days-gone-by, and could be a lot more specific than I have been.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any catalogs from days-gone-by, but I would expect magazine prices to drop dramatically when the ban expires. The "market" price of some magazines can be seen in the prices of some LE mags. A Bushmaster 30rd LE mag sells for under $20, and so do Glock LE hi-caps.

The ban has created a finite and rotating (from me to you to him back to me) supply of magazines, sending prices up. When manufacturers are free to produce again, then supply will increase and prices should fall.

Will manufacturers produce? They damn well better!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top