Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2003 10:26:06 AM EDT
An opportunity presented itself to snap a few pictures of the new HK magazines being marketed for the SA80/A2 and M16/M4 and I though I would share them with the other members here who have expressed an interest.

First thing you notice when handling these are “this thing is built like a brick sh*t house!” I doubt that running a jeep over one of these would even dent it.

Note: These ARE Leo Restricted.

Read the HK marketing hype  here: HK SA80A2 Web Page

Photos compare the HK to a black teflon DPMS LaBelle. HK on the left.

Left side view.

Right side view showing 'Restricted" markings. also notice HK mag is longer that GI mag.

Back side view. Notice welding is one continuous seam rather than the spot welds of the GI mag.

Front side view. Again notice the lack of spot welds and "HK style" floorplate release.

View of followers. Crome follower vs. black GI follower.

HK mag disassembled.

And finally, HK floorplate.

Link Posted: 1/25/2003 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2003 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know who is currently selling these magazines?
Link Posted: 1/25/2003 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Help yourself Troy.

Deanh, sorry but I don't know where to purchase them. You might try an HK LE Distributor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2003 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, if the AW Ban sunsets, I'm going to replace all my AR mags with this these.

I wonder if the HK chrome followers would work in regular GI issue mags? I really like the chrome followers. I have them in my MP-5 mags and their defintely better than plastic followers or at least I think they are [:)]
Link Posted: 1/25/2003 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy not only that, but unless one bends out at the risk of breaking the USGI mags retaining tabs, it is impossible to get the follower to fit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Couldn't HK have a program where you send them your old mag and they send you one of those new ones, and they dispose of the old one so as not to create a new hicap? I think they'd make a pretty penny, given that I'd gladly trade in these old mags, plus $20-$30 to get one of those beauties.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Even if they did you'll be looking at aroung $ 55.00 unless you buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you know who is currently selling these magazines?
View Quote

Start here:

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/dealers/dealer_frameset.html

Get your departmental letterhead out, have it signed, and order away!

:)
Alex
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this too long for web gear, mag pouches, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
what if i were to smash a current mag with a sledge and kept it with me for proof it is destroyed, would i be able to buy one of those mags?

hey i gotta have one lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Armalite has a deal for AR10 mags where you send in a m14 30rd mag + $80 they crush the m14 mag and send you a new AR10 30rd mag.

There wouldn't be much of a market for new ar15 mags like that. You can get preban 30's for $10 so it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW, the welds on the SA80 mags in the picture look weaker than the standard spot welds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like the looks of that follower. Look's to be a true anti-tilt type?, similar to an AK mag and with chrome finish to boot. Thanks for posting the pics.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really like the looks of that follower. Look's to be a true anti-tilt type?, similar to an AK mag and with chrome finish to boot.
View Quote

Someone else here described the follower action on the HK mag as "feels like a piston". I think he hit the nail on the head. The follower moves up and down so smoothly, it feels like it is "on bearings".

The only way you are going to get the follower to tilt is to either damage the follower or body via bending or denting. That isn't going to be easy either as they are both heavy steel stampings.

If you can't tell yet, I like 'em :)

BTW, the welds on the SA80 mags in the picture look weaker than the standard spot welds.
View Quote

JustL00king,

Appearances can be deceiving. Do you really believe that a full length steel fusion weld is weaker that six aluminum spot welds?

Seriously, if you could handle one of these, you would immediately understand what I mean.

HK makes the best AR15/M16 magazine today, period.

Tick.. tick.. 459 days and counting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder why they went with steel bodies instead of aluminum? Obviously steel is little stronger, but it's heavier and not as corrosion resistant. Cheaper to manufacture maybe? They are definately fine looking mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Troy,

I believe that the design and construction of the HK SA80A2 magazine is a product of their past experiences with other product lines.

If you compare the SA80A2 magazine to a HK MP-5 magazine you will see that the design and construction methods are almost identical (with dimensional differences of course).

I haven't heard a whole lot of complaints about MP-5 magazines which makes me think that HK was just applying their historical R&D and engineering knowledge into a new design.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#20]
well it probably holds up a bit more, and looks like a very very good magazine (ive also heard reports of super smooth followers).

im a person that likes durable things even if it means its a little heavier (always feels more solid dont you think) so i cant wait for the AW ban to expire, ill pick up a couple of these things right away
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's actually one of those things where "We believe military rifle magazines should be steel.  We don't want to talk about it.  We fear change."  Remember, this is the country that first adopted the SA80, then spent enough money to replace them TWICE trying to get them fixed.  The Brits aren't exactly weapons experts...

-Troy
View Quote

I'd be a bit leery of using a Brit built red dot/nightvision type scope...Lucas electrics & all.  Does the SA80 mark it's territory by leaking oil all over like Triumph motorcycles do?

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the cool pics

Those Germans sure seem to know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it worth the extra 30 bucks for an HK magazine as compared to the USGI mags?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much is your life worth? For me, yes, it's worth it. I got bored one day and drove over one of my steel G3 mags repeatedly. It still works flawlessly. I doubt I'd do that with an aluminum G3 mag and sure as hell wouldn't do it with a GI AR mag (steel or aluminum) then rely on it to work when needed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Good pics.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#26]
This is just a guess but maybe they make the SA80 mags out of steel because the SA80 is a bullpup design. I had a bullpup stock for my mini 14 years ago and it seemed to me that I was bumping the mags around a little more than with my ar15 because the mag is nearer to the buttstock. Buttstock areas always seem to get bumped around more than other parts of the rifle.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How much is your life worth? For me, yes, it's worth it. I got bored one day and drove over one of my steel G3 mags repeatedly. It still works flawlessly. I doubt I'd do that with an aluminum G3 mag and sure as hell wouldn't do it with a GI AR mag (steel or aluminum) then rely on it to work when needed.
View Quote

no offense but if your life depends on the mag lets hope nobody is driving over it while your trying to get it in the weapon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, but the Brits have ALWAYS specified steel mags.  Of course I agree with you about HK applying their knowledge in this area, but all of the older, non-HK SA80 mags are steel too, even though they are constructed identically to USGI aluminum mags.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy, not wanting to contradict you, but this not the case. The SA80 mags in use before the upgrade were aluminum, most of them made by Radway Green. They had plastic baseplates with push buttom type and they had a tendency to pop open if hit at the right ( or wrong) spot . All the steel " English Mags" are a mistery since most people I know were never issue one of them with the SA80 but the regular RG aluminum one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, I'm glad I found this thread.

I happened to have 2 friends who purchased these mags at a recent gunshow. The dealer had about 9 in stock and we will be going to the next show to see if we can get a few more from him.

We tried it today with some Federal 556 55 grain rounds and some Winchester 223 rounds(walmart). And the mag worked great. It is a bit longer than normal AR. But it is built tons better(These are new). They are steel, with Aluminum followers. They will not tilt even if you push on just the end like a regular AR mag.

They do state that they are for law enforcement only. And not very many sources for this online with out department papers.

Do you guys want any pics of particular angles?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]

You mentioned in your other thread that the mags you purchased were HK 40rd.

I have never seen anything like those before. Mind posting a couple picks? Do they look like the mags in the beginning of this thread?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Not to be a killjoy, but why?  My USGI 20s and 30s have always worked 100% for me.  They ain't broke, so I ain't fixing them.

Not to mention that until HK starts giving a shit about the civilian shooting population, they can suck my left nut [:D]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top