Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 9:13:43 PM EDT
What exactly is the difference between USGI 30 round pre ban and USGI 30 round post ban mags?

I'm a so go easy on me. I'm just looking for education not or .
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a good idea to read Troy's mag FAQ I believe it's tacked in the top of the mag forum. I'll come back with a link in a few minutes.
The basic difference is POST ban mags were made after the Assault Weapons Ban of Sept 1994 which limited all new mags to ten rds or less. So, any high cap mags (over 10 rounds) made after that date had to be marked that they are for Military or Law Enforcement only.

-John

To interpret your question literally there are no differences in the mags they are exactly the same in function, quality & appearance except for the differences explained above.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://magfaq.tripod.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
So I'm assuming I cannot own/possess any post ban 30 rounders.

Is this correct thinking?

Also, If I'm getting some Sanchez pre bans that do not have green followers should I replace the black followers ASAP, or just wait till the springs on the mags need replacing and put in green followers then.  I ask cuz I've read a few of these posts and I understand there to be some feed probloms with pre ban 30's with the black followers. They corrected the problem with the green "anti-tilt" followers. The mags I'm getting are Sanchez mags manufacture date of 9/88. Thanks guy's!

Nevermind, I know what you're gonna say.....if you have problems with the mags with the black followers, replace them with the green followers. If you have no feed problems with the black followers forgetaboutit.

I'm so ANAL. [:x*]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I change the followers to green in all of the mags I buy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd change all the black followers to green - "504PIR" in Equipment Exchange has them for 75 cents each + shipping.

Post-ban mags have the "Restricted Use/Military/Law Enforcement" etc. markings and the date of manufacture in mm/yy format, i.e. "04/01".  Any date later than "09/94" is post-ban.

Per the Mag FAQ, post-ban Center mags may or may not have the "Restricted Use" stamp on them, but the date is still marked.

Unless you are military or LE, you may not possess any post-ban mags.

HTH,
Gabe

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top