Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2002 11:40:57 AM EDT
Any one have any of these?? The local gun shop is offering them NIW for $25 each. Not sure how well they work or not. Anyone experoenced with them??
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
are those the steel mags? I bought 3 of the 20rnd's awhile back. They have been excellent. In fact i prefer them to the usgi i have. Little heavier but mush more sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought 5 of the 30 round mags, didn't know they made 20's. The floor plate is marked "Imperial Defense Services England." I used one at our last IPSC match, the mag worked flawlessly. They look way cool too. As a matter of fact they look exactly like the Colt 30's except that they are steel and they have the green followers. The black finish seems pretty durable. I bought mine form Lauer for $20 each, that is a great price for a "new in sealed plastic" magazine.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to hear if there is any more feedback?  Saw these at a gunshow today labeled British SA80 steel mags.  Indeed they are heavier and thicker than the USGI ones.  Anyone have other comments?  How reliably do they feed?
They were asking $25 NIW also, but for Colt 30 rounders at the same price, I was wondering if they are worth it.

-DE
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought 6. I have not had a chance to test them out yet.

They have a good rep. There is an add in this months SAR for a company selling them for $40 each or 3 for $30 each. So, $25 doesn't seem that bad.

There is a link of a company selling them for $15:

[url]http://www.falparts.com/odds.asp
[/url]

I doubt they will last for long at that price.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought some at that $15 price. He is a reputable dealer so I have no worries.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Be careful , dealer at the Brirmingham , AL show had a boatload of 30rd mags that were total unmarked , in the plastic with a sticker that said "ENGLAND" on them. These were not steel , but aluminium , had a very nice black finish on them and were priced at $20per. He was telling everyone that they were British SA80 mags , but I am very suspect , He also had a no money back policy , exchange only
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered some as well.  Will post a range report when I get them.

-DE
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#8]
To further add to the confusion:

The shop where I work just got in some British mags... 30rd, gray park-type finish, no markings other than the "England" sticker. Blue-gray plastic follower, metal floorplate. They're definitely steel; the weight gives them away.

I've heard of several types of British mags circulating now. Black, blue, or green followers, marked or unmarked metal or removable plastic floorplates, gray or black finish. Imperial Defence and Radway Green are the names most commonly mentioned, but I've also heard Royal Ordnance.

Anybody got the straight scoop on who makes what?

Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought six from Dan's too.  They all looked perfect.  I pulled one apart to change to a USGI green follower only to find that the black follower was an anti-tip just like the new green ones.  This would lead me to think these are late model construction without any date or markings.  Of course, it isn't marked and I along with anyone else has no way of knowing.  Hence, quite legal.

Good construction, good follower, spring works fine.  Good value at $15.  Heavy when compared to the USGIs, but who cares for a range mag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I just received five of the Royal Ordnance ones yesterday from Gun Accessory Supply. [url]www.gungoodies.com[/url]
I have not had a chance to take them to the range yet but they look like good mags.  Just by looks I cannot tell the difference from USGI mags.  I got mine for $18 each.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
OK. Just got my order today for the mags I ordered from Dans. They were the Gray England ones for $15. Gray finish, steel, generic mags on body and flooplate except for a England sticker on them. They have good springs and dark blue/black non-tip followers.
If I already didn't have my wife yelling at me about how much i spend, I'd get a ton more.
They are heavier than the alum, but are nice mags for the price.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just went to Dan's web site (falparts.com)
and the $15 mags aren't listed anymore.
The last time I saw them was Monday dec 2.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]DOH![/b]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Last night I took the 5 new mags I got and inserted them in to the rifle.  One of the mags would not lock into place the other 4 worked fine.  Taking a closer look at the one mag that did not work it looked like the mag catch hole was just a little small so I took a file and did little work on it for about 30 seconds.( When I say a little work I mean very little)  It did not look like I did anything to it but it now worked.

Today I had the chance to get to the range and try them out.  I did one mag with 30 rounds and the rest with 20 rounds.  No 120 rounds is not a conclusive test but I had no malfunctions and all the mags locked the bolt back and dropped free when the mag catch was pushed.  Over all I am happy with them.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top