Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 8:01:45 AM EDT
OK I cant pass up a deal... I bought from this guy on gunbroker.com. Generic 30 rd mags. I mean generic. NOT a single manufacturer stamp anywhere. Black follower and all.  I know they sound like junk but I took them to the range and they worked??? May not last long who knows.
He probably has more over in South Carolina his
gunbroker user is PreBanMagSales. he is now listing 40 round mags.. Anybody have any experiences???

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6210417
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
They look like USA mags to me, suggest ya check out the "MAG FAQ" at the top of the Magazine forum.

I wouldn't want 'em even if they work'd, I like USGI, (their combat proven), IMO.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you are right from reading the FAQ. These mags have the round drain holes as well as no floor plate marking

The FAQ:

USA magazines are often misleadingly advertised as "USGI" mags, especially the aluminum-bodied mags. These are quite possibly the worst AR mags on the market, and should be avoided. No brand markings.

Will the do damage to my firearm?

Thanks
Dave
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Naw, I doubt they'll hurt your rifle, however you could end getting hurt if one fails at the wrong time, which is why I suggested the reading material.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Mike.. I've always wanted an AR and finally came up with a deal on a Flat Top Varmint RRA. Just getting into it :-) When you say I may get hurt. As in not being able to fire the AR or will this mag self distruct in a while? I only do plinking and may get in some groundhog hunting.  

Dave
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Bodkin,

Not to speak for mr_wilson, but I think he means "hurt" as in the rifle jams at the worst moment during a "social situation" and the charging bull groundhog gets his tusks in you and rips you up...

Oh, sorry, I've been reading too much Peter Capstick recently ("Death In The Tall Grass")

[:D]

Gabe
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a pair of steel USA M16 magazines I picked up someplace and they work fine.  Every one of their pistol magazines I've tried, however, has been complete crap.

Hang onto those magazines and use them on the range.  Do [b]not[/b] take perfect magazines to the range all the time.  If you never get a stoppage you'll choke when you do have one and this can cost you points in a match .....  or worse.

A game that's fun to play is to have a buddy load an expended case in the middle of one of your magazines.  Really, the drill will pay dividends if you ever need do clear a stoppage when it counts.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a few USA's from cheaper than dirt. They won't even click into the mag well. junk! even the triple-k's i have are better.
Now im USGI or nuttin.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Chuck,

That's a great point you make about malfunction clearing drills - tap, rack, eject the mag if necessary, bang!

I agree - use the USA's as range mags.

Gabe
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for everyones input. I will use the USA mags at the range. I also bought some Orlite and refurbished USGI 30 round magazines. So I should be set. I plan on documenting my experiences from the start of buying my Varmint RRA to range firing in the future.  

Best Regards

Dave Bodkin
Cumming,GA
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi All,
I was told by the seller they are Western magazines. The magazine FAQ doesn't say anything about this brand. So I assume that they should be lumped into the after market category and used as range mags.

Thanks
Dave
Cumming, GA
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top