Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 2:46:35 PM EDT
Hey, I was just wondering if the Pro Mag steel 20 rounders were decent mags or just junk. It seems in the past that I have heard several favorable comments about these mags, but just wanted to ask here to get the straight scoop. They appear nearly identical to USGI 20 rounders, with the exception these are steel and probably use a plastic follower. Do these mags work or could they be made to work? If adding a GI green follower would be enough to make them run smooth I would be willing to try a few......so what's everyone think?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
JUNK Buy USGI ONLY
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
they work ok....  i have a couple one doesn't lock the bolt back when empty.  one day i'll change out the folloer on that one.  for range mags they are fine. mine have the PITA floorplates.  I wouldn't pay more that $10 - $12 for them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have three of the ProMag 20s and a couple of the post ban 10s.  The 10s work fine right out of the box, but the Bushmaster new post ban 10 is much better for the same cash.  The 20s need a little engineering work before they are ready to go to the range.  As is, they don't work well with a full load.

The construction of the mag body on the 20s is very good.  These are not junk bodies like USA and Western.  There is no doubt these bodies will last longer than aluminum bodies.  

The problem is the spring and follower.   The spring attaches to the follower at the back (primer) end of the follower.  This tends to push up on the rear of the follower and rotates the stack of rounds tip down when the mag is near full.  Hence, this leads to jams.  A good follower design should push the stack from the middle.  I think the best follower out there is the USGI green anti tilt followers, but even the old black followers or IDF Orlites work in the same way.

Solution: swap springs and followers and they will work fine and last a long time.  I use the green followers and Wolf springs.  I had to trim the foot and anti-tilt leg to get the capacity to 20.   My ProMag 20s never fail and they are built like tanks, although they are heavy like a tank too!

Problem: they cost around $20 new and then you need to buy a spring and a follower.  Now we are up around $25 for a 20 round mag.  I can buy good USGI mags in perfect condition for that amount.  Hence, you can make a good mag out of them but there is little value here.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top