Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2002 8:19:31 PM EDT
I was wanting to see if anyone has ever tried and used some aftermarket 30's?
Which type seem to work and which type to avoid.
I need first hand experience.

Everyone wants to have USGI with the perfect green followers and some industry marked floorplates- but I know that at least some aftermarket types may hold up and work well.

Thank you for responses.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically the only aftermarket mags worth a damn are Thermolds (American), Thermolds (Canadian), and Orilites (Israeli).

Of the three I'd go with the American Thermolds.

Be forwarned that sand/grit and polymers mags don't mix well.

When I took a Carbine course at Blackwater, I started with 20 US Thermolds.  After a day of shooting, dropping mags and reloading, the Thermolds began to stick and malfunction.  Needless to say I finished the rest of the week with borrowed USGI mags.

For basic shooting, Polymer mags are fine, but if my life depended on it, I'd stick with USGI mags.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd watch out for the canadian Thermolds. They didn't get the nickname "Thermelts" for no reason. I've heard they have some problems with temperature.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd watch out for the canadian Thermolds. They didn't get the nickname "Thermelts" for no reason. I've heard they have some problems with temperature.

Only if you are firing full auto with a blank firing adapter....   Otherwise you will never ever see one melt with semi fire, or even FA, unless you routinely cook out your barrels....
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had pretty good luck with the British steel mags.  But . . ..  had to replace the issued followers with the "green" followers.  After that, all seven of the British mags have worked 100%.  Paid $20 each for the mag and $1 each for the follower.  Total cost for a new mag : $21
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top