Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:00:00 PM EDT
I remember reading here a few months back about how dated centerline mags weren't considered "postban" by the ATF. I'm curious because I came across some recently. They were dated with two letters (like 03/00, 03/99) and also had 6P199 stamped above that date on all of them.

Could somebody enlighten me as to if these are legal to posess?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but one thing to keep in mind - the ATF doesn't make "rulings", they give their "opinions".  The only ones to make a ruling is a court of law, who are perfectly free to ignore the opinion of the ATF.  This works both ways - for stuff the ATF says is OK as well as for stuff they say is verboten.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a few thirties that had the same 6PI99 stamp on them and below it what looked to be a date stamp (09/91 or 08/91 depending on the mag). I got rid of them because I did not want to risk 6PI99 to end up being the date of manufacture. The mags did not have any other markings other than the Center Industries floor plates (i.e. no Gov't USE ONLY stampings).

Were these post ban 30's?

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I answered my own question. 6PI99 is called a cage code (I have no idea what that means), and the 09/91 stampings are the date of manufacture. The mags in ShamusMcOI's post would therefore be illegal for civilian possesion as they were made in March of 2000 and 2001. My mags on the other hand (which I dumped at a loss ) were legal for me to own because they were made in August and September of 1991.

Sources:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=109136&w=searchPop

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=115713&w=searchPop

magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2t

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if you asked a 100 LEOs about unmarked but post dated mags, how many would know or care that they were restricted?

I would bet not many. And I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I happened to have aquired some over the years. (which I haven't incidently)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top