BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
XM193 will tear up a hog at 100 yards with a 14.5” barrel of any twist.
@ 200 yards?
No bueno
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to think of my 16" ARs with aimpoints as being 300m effective.  16" and 18" with 1-6, 400m.  20" 5-20, 500m.

Mk262, add 100m but RDS remains 300m limited by my ability.

This is based only on bc energy charts and my recreational shooting at 66% silhouette @ 650m with 20", 390m with everything, and sub 300m with everything.
View Quote
I have no problem hitting 12" steel plates at 550 yards (about 503 meters) with my recent 16" build shooting AAC brand 55gr.

Rifle has a 2.5-10x, and that load is around halfway between m193 and .223 fmj velocity wise. It will still do wounding damage.

After 550, is just piddles out. I need to get back out there with some m193 and some heavier loads.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend heavy match loads if you want to reach out.

I've shot my 20" to 800 yards on 3MOA targets. I've shot my 18" to 700 yards on 3 MOA targets.

Match ammunition was required. Bullet drop is fairly easy, but bad wind calls will have you missing in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Since 2010, my night hog operation, Hog Rush,LLC. , in Alabama, has killed 9435 wild hogs. Approx 70% of those were my kills. The rest were novice guest paid hunters.

95% of those were with suppressed 16” AR15 rifles with a 1/9 twist barrel.
99% of those kills were with m193 spec ammo.

Ranges were from 10 feet to 350yards.
Step on confirmed kills. I do not count the ones that get shot and run away.

On numerous occasions, I did bullet extractions and took note of the damage to the animals. I have thousands  of pics.

Never in all those kills did I see any fragmentation where more than 20% of the bullet had broken away.
Never.
Aside from a few of the longer range kills, the bullets were banana shaped with near 100% weight retention.

Last year I fielded one 1/12 twist rifle. Same ammo.

Every time we unleash on hogs, where mostly there are 3 rifles being fired at one time, there is no doubt which hog got shot with the 1/12 twist barrel.

In my experience, a 1/7 twist barrel creates a pin cushion effect. Rounds pass through more often.

I’ve killed them every which way. Between the eyes, up the ass, broadside, gut, nuts, face, etc

5.56 is the go to caliber for a variety of reasons.

My favorite barrels were the yhm diamond fluted, 9 twist chrome lined variants. No longer made.

I have one left that still shoots lights out.
That rifle is on its 4th barrel.
I’m about to retire it and hang it above my bar.

As for “effective range”

It depends on your barrel twist rate.
Most all manufacturers are going 1/7 twist now. Which is stupid.

9twist will stabilize most ammo including 69 grain.

Most ammo shot is 55-62 grain

These new woke decision makers at big factories have no real world field experience to justify a 1/7 twist other than they want to provide a product that shoot all ammo  but shoots nothing great.

Also, the 300BLK is a POS when it comes to killing stuff past 50 yds.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since 2010, my night hog operation, Hog Rush,LLC. , in Alabama, has killed 9435 wild hogs. Approx 70% of those were my kills. The rest were novice guest paid hunters.

95% of those were with suppressed 16" AR15 rifles with a 1/9 twist barrel.

On numerous occasions, I did bullet extractions and took note of the damage to the animals. I have thousands  of pics.

Never in all those kills did I see any fragmentation where more than 20% of the bullet had broken away.
Never.
Aside from a few of the longer range kills, the bullets were banana shaped with near 100% weight retention.

Every time we unleash on hogs, where mostly there are 3 rifles being fired at one time, there is no doubt which hog got shot with the 1/12 twist barrel.

In my experience, a 1/7 twist barrel creates a pin cushion effect. Rounds pass through more often.

I've killed them every which way. Between the eyes, up the ass, broadside, gut, nuts, face, etc

My favorite barrels were the yhm diamond fluted, 9 twist chrome lined variants. No longer made.

I'm about to retire it and hang it above my bar.

As for "effective range"

These new woke decision makers at big factories have no real world field experience to justify a 1/7 twist other than they want to provide a product that shoot all ammo  but shoots nothing great.

View Quote

Do you have a thread with those pics?  I would love to see them for educational purposes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you have a thread with those pics?  I would love to see them for educational purposes.
View Quote

No, I shoot video on my thermals as well. Since 2010.

Everything is loaded up on hard drives. I’ve put vids up on my YouTube channel.

All that other data like temp, barometric pressure, moon phase, etc, is also tucked away on drives.

One day I’ll dig it out.

I went full retard when I started this business. Gravitated to social media and built it up.

But I am back to arfcom now. Trying to get readjusted.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Was that a 16" or 20" 1:12?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

95% of those were with suppressed 16” AR15 rifles with a 1/9 twist barrel.

Never.

I’ve killed them every which way. Between the eyes, up the ass, broadside, gut, nuts, face, etc

I’m about to retire it and hang it above my bar.

As for “effective range”

View Quote

Interesting comments.  

A few comments:
-only hits count......... it doesn't matter if you are using M193, M855 or mk262.
The reason you can boast about 9500 kills is because you hit the pigs and killed them.  Not because you scared them away with misses.  

-how far you can reliably hit is your effective range....... nothing more/nothing less.  

-You can spend years reading threads about what this bullet does, that bullet fragments, how far this bullet will go but it doesn't matter if you dont hit what you are aiming at.
And getting a hit with a crappy M193 is just deadly as a mk262.  

-its great that you can tailor your matching of barrel twist (1/12) with your ammo (M193).  

The Army did the same a LONG time ago........ and wasn't some "woke" reaction.  
They wanted to start using the M855 bullet BUT ALSO the even longer tracer M856.
That meant they needed a faster twist, so they did........... the result was the 1/7.
Then 10yrs ago they wanted to increase the effective range and found the mk262 (77 SMK).........which works well in the 1/7.
And in the approx 50yrs since the Army went to the 1/7 twist, right or wrong other "heavy" 70grain + bullets have gained popularity.  
Which means people lost interest in the 1/12" twist..................  

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Go shoot steel with it.

400 is about as far as you can go and get SOLID hits that appear effective. The steel hardly reacts at 500+.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
-its great that you can tailor your matching of barrel twist (1/12) with your ammo (M193).  

The Army did the same a LONG time ago........ and wasn't some "woke" reaction.  
They wanted to start using the M855 bullet BUT ALSO the even longer tracer M856.
That meant they needed a faster twist, so they did........... the result was the 1/7.
Then 10yrs ago they wanted to increase the effective range and found the mk262 (77 SMK).........which works well in the 1/7.
And in the approx 50yrs since the Army went to the 1/7 twist, right or wrong other "heavy" 70grain + bullets have gained popularity.  
Which means people lost interest in the 1/12" twist..................  

View Quote

The guy asked about m193
I consider a 1/9 twist the best all around twist.

I tried the 77 gr ammo early on. The jackets come off the bullets. Less penetration on dense targets like a hog.
Lots of hit and runs. The loss in velocity is a big factor too.
I’ve had manufacturers send me ammo to try.
For 5.56, I always came back to m193.
You say it’s crappy.
In your 1/7 twist, I’d agree with you. It pin cushions.

In 1/9 or slower, it’s a proven stopper.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was that a 16" or 20" 1:12?
View Quote

20”
I’m about to switch that upper out.
With suppressor it’s just too long.

Going to put go back with a 1/9 twist 16” upper.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top