BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I will say this has been one of the more cordial 5.56 Vs. 300blk threads I've seen.

Typically these threads turn into a pissing match that leaves the OP feelin like .
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not a hunter and have no first hand experience. It doesn't appear anyone else in this thread, other than Eagle_19er, does either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sample size of one is not conclusive, especially since there are countless reports of that particular 62gr fusion doing very well at greater ranges then that.

I'm not a hunter and have no first hand experience. It doesn't appear anyone else in this thread, other than Eagle_19er, does either.

I’ve shot plenty of game with most every round in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the work you've done and I hope you don't get the wrong impression from this, but I don't think it's fair to judge the performance of a caliber on one bad experience with a specific bullet. 62gr fusion is an outstanding bullet, and while I haven't shot a deer with that exact bullet, I have heard excellent accounts of its performance on various performance. A 200 yard rodeo seems like quite an anomaly assuming that you did your part. Maybe the bullet failed to expand? What was the distance/barrel length used? I'm just curious since I've heard nothing but good things about .223 fusion/gd on deer.

The one bullet I have used on numerous deer and hog is the 77gr TMK, and I have never had any animal run more than 25 yards (most DRT) when shot by one out of a 16" barrel. I'm not sure how the 110gr tac-tx does as far as the actual wound channel is concerned, but the TMK usually begins expanding instantly and creates a 3-4" wound channel while absolutely pulverizing any organs in or near its path. The damage is honestly indistinguishable or even greater than what I've seen from something like a .308 nosler ballistic tip. Obviously you're aware of its stellar performance given that it's one of your 5.56 defensive loads of choice, but what do you think it gives up compared to the 300BLK 110gr tac-tx?

I'm just not seeing how 300BLK is any better with the given conditions in the OP. Especially 9/10 times. What am I missing? While the TMK is top tier and IMO the best bullet in this caliber, gd/fusion and other expanding bullets aren't far behind.
View Quote

@cod0396 (and others)

I'll continue this thread's trajectory and keep out of the purse swinging. Truthfully, I like both chamberings, 5.56 and .300BLK. I own several guns in each and like shooting them both.

Yes, my sample size is small on the 62 Fusion bullet. I literally took it hunting once and on that one day, a nice doe came by and I potted her. I was considerably surprised that she ran that far, but I've seen stranger things as well. --I once took a nice 6pt buck with a .308 SP, probably a cheap Remington Core-Lokt or Federal 150gr. Oblique angle shot took him through one lung and literally turned his heart to mush. He ran over 100yds. --So, is a sample size of one an exhaustive study? In no way shape or form! It is at most anecdotal. Tons of external factors go into any shot taken on a game animal. (It doesn't even necessarily translate to a human target, but is the most experience most of us will ever have with real world performance on any given bullet.)

I HAVE taken .300BLK on several occasions and have taken a total of 6 deer with it, exclusively with the Barnes 110 TAC-TX bullet. None of which have ever run over about 40yds. So, my experience tells me that .300BLK is more efficient than 5.56 with the right ammo.

Now, a review of the thread up until the point I made my statement didn't include much on the 77TMK, which I think is the overall best bullet for a soft target with a .223/5.56 gun. In my head, I was thinking 110 TAC-TX vs "TAP T2, MK262, heavy OTM" and I discounted OP's "or expanding round of choice". ...Then the conversation shifted more to 77TMK vs 110 TAC-TX.

This thread may actually cause me to take a 5.56 SBR hunting for whitetails again, just to see how the 77TMK does for me .

I've tried the last few years with a 6.5 Grendel SBR using 120gr Fusions but inexplicably, I haven't had a deer come by that I was willing to shoot in over 60 hours of sitting a stand with that gun. (Then I had to switch to my BLK pistol this fall for the MN shotgun/handgun zone and shot a #175 8pt at 6:45 in the morning the first day I sat there!)

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will say this has been one of the more cordial 5.56 Vs. 300blk threads I've seen.

Typically these threads turn into a pissing match that leaves the OP feelin like .
View Quote

Yeah it was never my intention to come off as trying to start a pissing match, just to have a conversation. So sorry if I may have come off as such.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, we’re all adults here who are discussing the minutia of two very similar calibers. Theres no need to be anything but cordial with each other.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, double post.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait someone killed an elk with 5.56? Damn that’s impressive and I am a fan of 5.56 big time but I don’t know if I’d try it on elk. Better tools for that job, .308 at minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait someone killed an elk with 5.56? Damn that’s impressive and I am a fan of 5.56 big time but I don’t know if I’d try it on elk. Better tools for that job, .308 at minimum.

There's a moose and a bear in there as well.

It's also noteworthy that there isn't anyone in there who's used 77 gr TMK and actually had anything bad to say about it - there are even a couple who were skeptical of the round and changed their minds after trying it. The naysayers were, I believe, exclusively people who hadn't.

Quoted:

Velocity may not be everything, but consider that even slow handgun rounds make a sizeable TSC in organic gelatin. We all know that isn't the case in human or animal tissue. Now I'm not saying that a 110gr varmageddon  travelling at 1950fps won't do any TSC related damage in actual tissue, but a 5.56 50gr TSX out of a 10.5" is well above that threshold while a 110gr varmageddon out of an 8" is very much  borderline. That isn't something that a gel test can accurately portray.

It isn't necessarily that handguns actually produce a smaller TSC in tissue than in gel, it's more that by and large this isn't enough to overcome the elasticity of some very vital tissues. In inflexible organs like the spleen or liver, pistol bullets can cause serious stretch damage, however these structures aren't generally as important for immediate incapacitation.

I don't place much stock in universal temporary cavity thresholds since, at the end of the day, TSC formation is largely down to an equation and altering any of the variables will give you a different result. Dr. Roberts does note that well-constructed .357 JHPs tend to start producing noticeable TSC trauma in flexible tissues around 1600 FPS, with damage becoming severe around 1900 FPS; the latter number is in fairness pretty close to the velocity of the Varmageddon loading, but the bullet is also producing a greater amount of more extensive fragmentation than most .357 bullets would, and "severe" means different things to different people at any rate. For my part I'd certainly expect the wound cavity produced by the Varmageddon to exceed that of 50 gr TSX, though I'm not inclined to believe it really outmatches 77 gr TMK.

My personal hunch based on the trends I've seen are that mass and diameter generally appear to benefit bonded/monolithic bullets, however the higher velocity of 5.56 seems to lend to more explosive fraggers provided you can get them to penetrate enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If we are talking apples to apples, it would be 77gr TMK vs one of the 110gr "V" rounds (Vmax, Varminator, or Vrmageddon).
It would also be what ever flavor of expanding 5.56 one wants (50gr TTSX, or one of the Federal Fusion/Gold Dot sizes) vs 110gr Tac-tx (although some like 125gr SST as well).

At 100 yards, any soft target getting hit by any of them is going to have a horrible day.  

As far as velocity goes in terms of "rifle damage", the only number that matters is the minimum fragmentation threshold for the rounds being fired.  

Six of one, half dozen of the other.    Which is better probably depends on how you plan to use the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's also noteworthy that there isn't anyone in there who's used 77 gr TMK and actually had anything bad to say about it - there are even a couple who were skeptical of the round and changed their minds after trying it. The naysayers were, I believe, exclusively people who hadn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's even more eye opening about that thread, imo, is the actual pictures of the wounds created by the TMK. All this discussion about tsc, explosive fragmentation, expansion, neck size, etc. is fun, but nothing says "effective" like a fist sized or even larger hole through a deer's chest cavity. What baffles me though is how someone can purposely enter that thread, look through all that evidence, then say something like ".223 is too weak for deer".

Quoted:
It isn't necessarily that handguns actually produce a smaller TSC in tissue than in gel, it's more that by and large this isn't enough to overcome the elasticity of some very vital tissues. In inflexible organs like the spleen or liver, pistol bullets can cause serious stretch damage, however these structures aren't generally as important for immediate incapacitation.

I don't place much stock in universal temporary cavity thresholds since, at the end of the day, TSC formation is largely down to an equation and altering any of the variables will give you a different result. Dr. Roberts does note that well-constructed .357 JHPs tend to start producing noticeable TSC trauma in flexible tissues around 1600 FPS, with damage becoming severe around 1900 FPS; the latter number is in fairness pretty close to the velocity of the Varmageddon loading, but the bullet is also producing a greater amount of more extensive fragmentation than most .357 bullets would, and "severe" means different things to different people at any rate. For my part I'd certainly expect the wound cavity produced by the Varmageddon to exceed that of 50 gr TSX, though I'm not inclined to believe it really outmatches 77 gr TMK.

My personal hunch based on the trends I've seen are that mass and diameter generally appear to benefit bonded/monolithic bullets, however the higher velocity of 5.56 seems to lend to more explosive fraggers provided you can get them to penetrate enough.

Fair point; I should have said "effective" TSC rather than large TSC. Yeah the actual diameter of the stretch cavity created by a handgun round is probably the same as it is in gel, but that TSC is essentially useless as far as actual tissue damage is concerned. The actual wound channel will just be the size of the expanded bullet.

I agree that the 110gr varmageddon will likely do more damage than a 50gr TSX. I think that has to do more with the fact that one is an expanding monolithic bullet while the other is a rapidly fragmenting varmint round rather than the caliber difference. Similarly, I am almost certain that a 77gr TMK will do more tissue damage than a 110gr TAC-TX in almost all situations. Obviously the TAC-TX has momentum and weight retention on its side, but I kind of doubt that it will more or less liquefy a whitetail's chest cavity like the TMK does.

I agree completely with your last sentence. 5.56 really lends itself to the rapidly expanding/fragmenting bullet types given the synergy between velocity, tsc, and fragmentation. I can get behind bullets like fusion/gold dot since they do rapidly expand and sometimes fragment despite being bonded, but I do think that the really tough bonded bullets and monolithics give up a lot in terms of pure terminal performance. The same thing sort of applies to .300BLK, but the sheer momentum and diameter of an expanding 110gr chunk of lead at 2000+ fps allows it do plenty of damage without fragmentation.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If we are talking apples to apples, it would be 77gr TMK vs one of the 110gr "V" rounds (Vmax, Varminator, or Vrmageddon).
It would also be what ever flavor of expanding 5.56 one wants (50gr TTSX, or one of the Federal Fusion/Gold Dot sizes) vs 110gr Tac-tx (although some like 125gr SST as well).

At 100 yards, any soft target getting hit by any of them is going to have a horrible day.  

As far as velocity goes in terms of "rifle damage", the only number that matters is the minimum fragmentation threshold for the rounds being fired.  

Six of one, half dozen of the other.    Which is better probably depends on how you plan to use the weapon.
View Quote

This is mostly aligned with my thinking. We need to be comparing like rounds to like rounds, such as those compared above. The thing is, they work about the same when viewed as such, and the caliber that fires them isn’t a big deal. It’s mostly 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

I’d prefer 5.56 ballistically due to the higher velocity and ability to frag harder and/or perform further, but 300BLK if I needed the rifle to be super short. In most cases neither is going to much matter, but I guess it’s up to everyone to decide if they’re on the fringe of either of those cases.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]
It really is splitting hairs.

Personally my ARs 10.5" and less are chambered in 300blk. 11.5" and up are all 5.56. They are all intended for different scenarios in my mind.

My bedside is an 8.3" 300 suppressed with 110gr Vmax. On short trips I take my 10.5" 300 unsupressed with either 115gr Controlled Chaos (love that round) or 110gr Tac-Tx.

During a shtf where I have to leave the homestead, I'm grabbing either my suppressed 11.5" 5.56 or 14.5" 5.56 bcm M4gery both with Mk318.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to get off topic but anyone have any experience taking anything with the 50gr TSX? The gel tests look impressive at least.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not to get off topic but anyone have any experience taking anything with the 50gr TSX? The gel tests look impressive at least.
View Quote

I don't, but this has to be a price error.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@cod0396 (and others)

I'll continue this thread's trajectory and keep out of the purse swinging. Truthfully, I like both chamberings, 5.56 and .300BLK. I own several guns in each and like shooting them both.

Yes, my sample size is small on the 62 Fusion bullet. I literally took it hunting once and on that one day, a nice doe came by and I potted her. I was considerably surprised that she ran that far, but I've seen stranger things as well. --I once took a nice 6pt buck with a .308 SP, probably a cheap Remington Core-Lokt or Federal 150gr. Oblique angle shot took him through one lung and literally turned his heart to mush. He ran over 100yds. --So, is a sample size of one an exhaustive study? In no way shape or form! It is at most anecdotal. Tons of external factors go into any shot taken on a game animal. (It doesn't even necessarily translate to a human target, but is the most experience most of us will ever have with real world performance on any given bullet.)

I HAVE taken .300BLK on several occasions and have taken a total of 6 deer with it, exclusively with the Barnes 110 TAC-TX bullet. None of which have ever run over about 40yds. So, my experience tells me that .300BLK is more efficient than 5.56 with the right ammo.

Now, a review of the thread up until the point I made my statement didn't include much on the 77TMK, which I think is the overall best bullet for a soft target with a .223/5.56 gun. In my head, I was thinking 110 TAC-TX vs "TAP T2, MK262, heavy OTM" and I discounted OP's "or expanding round of choice". ...Then the conversation shifted more to 77TMK vs 110 TAC-TX.

This thread may actually cause me to take a 5.56 SBR hunting for whitetails again, just to see how the 77TMK does for me .

I've tried the last few years with a 6.5 Grendel SBR using 120gr Fusions but inexplicably, I haven't had a deer come by that I was willing to shoot in over 60 hours of sitting a stand with that gun. (Then I had to switch to my BLK pistol this fall for the MN shotgun/handgun zone and shot a #175 8pt at 6:45 in the morning the first day I sat there!)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the work you've done and I hope you don't get the wrong impression from this, but I don't think it's fair to judge the performance of a caliber on one bad experience with a specific bullet. 62gr fusion is an outstanding bullet, and while I haven't shot a deer with that exact bullet, I have heard excellent accounts of its performance on various performance. A 200 yard rodeo seems like quite an anomaly assuming that you did your part. Maybe the bullet failed to expand? What was the distance/barrel length used? I'm just curious since I've heard nothing but good things about .223 fusion/gd on deer.

The one bullet I have used on numerous deer and hog is the 77gr TMK, and I have never had any animal run more than 25 yards (most DRT) when shot by one out of a 16" barrel. I'm not sure how the 110gr tac-tx does as far as the actual wound channel is concerned, but the TMK usually begins expanding instantly and creates a 3-4" wound channel while absolutely pulverizing any organs in or near its path. The damage is honestly indistinguishable or even greater than what I've seen from something like a .308 nosler ballistic tip. Obviously you're aware of its stellar performance given that it's one of your 5.56 defensive loads of choice, but what do you think it gives up compared to the 300BLK 110gr tac-tx?

I'm just not seeing how 300BLK is any better with the given conditions in the OP. Especially 9/10 times. What am I missing? While the TMK is top tier and IMO the best bullet in this caliber, gd/fusion and other expanding bullets aren't far behind.

@cod0396 (and others)

One of the nice things about hog hunting is you can rack up some numbers quickly.

In my case, I've shot a bunch with 62gr Gold Dots/Fusions, 110 VMAX with the 300blk, 120gr Gold Dots and ELDs and 123gr SSTs with the 6.5G. I'm also up to 6 deer I think with the 62gr Gold Dots.

They all work pretty well, really. I only dress the deer, and can definitely say the Gold Dots are devastating in the vitals, even from an SBR. I've had a few bang-flops and I'd say the farthest a deer has run is under 100 yards.

My personal experience for ranking in order of what I least want to be shot by would be 1) 120gr Gold Dot or ELD from the Grendel, 2) 62gr Gold Dot 3) 110gr VMAX.

Guess what? Still have 110gr VMAX in my bedside gun. 8" bbl and a full size suppressor, it's quieter and hits harder than a 10.5" 556. My point is that I think they all work and the margins are pretty slim between top and bottom picks.

Obviously I'm missing the gold-standard 300blk 110gr TacTX, and I also haven't shot game with the 77gr OTMs or TMKs although I have some of both loaded and they're on my list to try on hogs.

In either case, having shot at minimum dozens of hogs with each of my listed rounds I can tell you they all will lay the hurt on a human in sufficient quantity to help them go and meet Jesus. It's still fun to discuss though, and I do have my own personal favorites.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't, but this has to be a price error.

View Quote

That has to be an error.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top