BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In a HD scenario I'm sure any quality load will be fine. A 556 at close range is going to be a bad day for any bad guy breaking in or doing harm to your family inside of your home.

I'd actually prefer a 9mm quality heavy hp out of a sbr/carbine type of set up but that's a different discussion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How bad would things have to get to where I would need more than six or seven 30 round magazines of "HD" ammo?  What would that look like?  Zombie Apocalypse?  Meteor strike?  Coronavirus pandemic?

Lastly, if you or I are engaged in a real-life scenario (being fired upon) to the point we NEED six or seven+ magazines of "HD" ammo; you are not likely to survive that kind of onslaught.  Again, please tell me what that would even look like.  I'm all ears.

Not trying to provoke anyone, I am just trying to have a healthy, realistic discussion about ammo choices.
View Quote
Home invasion by a gang that's trying to kill you before you can testify in court against a fellow gang member?

Highly improbable, I know. The most realistic home defense scenario for most people would be more akin to four or five people breaking in because they want to steal your TV.

But that's the first scenario I thought of where it might be nice to have a bunch of mags on hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

AZgunner is absolutely correct in his last statement.

Listen fellas, I respect everyone's opinions on ammo choice especially because it's your money so do with it what you think is appropriate.

However, most of you guys are WAAAAAYYY overthinking this stuff.

The OP specifically mentioned "home-defense", which in my mind means distances of not more than 50 meters at most!!

Let's be realistic.  If someone were to get shot with ANY .223 or 5.56 rifle round at anything less than 50 meters, especially if they were to get hit in the upper torso, that person/bad guy is going to have a very, very, very bad day no matter what bullet they get hit with.  I am not speaking from a theoretical standpoint.  I have twelve years of military service and 20 years of police work under my belt.

Yes, pick a well-developed round such as any Gold Dot, Fusion, or any Mk262 type round.  They would be fantastic choices,  BUT shot placement is far more important than ammo choice.

Getting hit in the upper torso with any 5.56 round at close distance is going to be really, really bad news.

Furthermore, any mention of what an ammo type will do at 500 yds within a home/self-defense discussion is an absolutely mute point, as no one is ever going to shoot at another human being at 500 yds away in a home/self-defense scenario.  Seriously, what would that even look like?

Let's be serious about how many rounds you realistically need for home/self-defense.  Yes, buy as much as you want while you can get it, but how much do you really need??  Hell, I have about 11,000 rounds of .223/5.56 in my basement, but I probably have less than 200 "self-defense" rounds such as Gold Dot and MagTech Mk262 clone.  Again, just because I tend to think realistically.

How bad would things have to get to where I would need more than six or seven 30 round magazines of "HD" ammo?  What would that look like?  Zombie Apocalypse?  Meteor strike?  Coronavirus pandemic?

Lastly, if you or I are engaged in a real-life scenario (being fired upon) to the point we NEED six or seven+ magazines of "HD" ammo; you are not likely to survive that kind of onslaught.  Again, please tell me what that would even look like.  I'm all ears.

Not trying to provoke anyone, I am just trying to have a healthy, realistic discussion about ammo choices.
View Quote
More like 20 meters
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

More like 20 meters
View Quote
Precisely.

Talking about "self-defense"ammo , and then mentioning what any type of ammo will to at 500 meters is rubbish to say the least.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE the AR-15 rifle.  IMO, it is the best weapon ever conceived, but we all need to be realistic about ammo.

Getting shot with ANY type of .223 or 5.56 ammo is going to be absolutely devastating.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has never seen first-hand what a high-velocity .223/5.56 round will do to the human body.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
We talk about HD ammo and SD ammo and what if most effective, when the reality is that at the RANGE we are talking about, almost any quality ammo will get the job done.  Inside of a house range, even FMJ out of an 11.5" 5.56 will work.  In terms of self defense, what is the longest self defense shooting on record?  Is it even 100 yards (just guessing)?

In terms of HD/SD weapons and ammo, I've longed ago stopped caring what the ammo does at 400 yards.    I barely care what it does at 300 yards.

What I care about is 0 to 150 or 200 yards.  Energy? Accuracy? Limited Muzzle flash, blast, and noise?  Does it handle easily?  All of that is far more important than 500 yard ballistics.

If I'm worried about quarter mile shots on bad guys, I'll probably be holding something other than my HD weapon (hopefully), and clearly things have taken a wrong turn on planet earth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...In terms of HD/SD weapons and ammo, I've longed ago stopped caring what the ammo does at 400 yards.    I barely care what it does at 300 yards.

What I care about is 0 to 150 or 200 yards.  Energy? Accuracy? Limited Muzzle flash, blast, and noise?  Does it handle easily?  All of that is far more important than 500 yard ballistics...
View Quote
This is why my primary 10.5" HD rifle is chambered in 300BO and is fed 110 gr Hornady Black supers!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is why my primary 10.5" HD rifle is chambered in 300BO and is fed 110 gr Hornady Black supers!
View Quote

I'm currently rocking 9" 300blk with 110gr Hornady Black V-max as well.  Going to build another one (without a folder), just debating on which BA barrel to go with 10", 10.3" or 10.5"....and waiting for them to be in stock again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, an 8" 300blk suppressed is what sits beside my bed for HD, my 11.5" suppressed 5.56 loaded with MK318 is what I'd take with me first if on the move during some sort of SHTF zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, an 8" 300blk suppressed is what sits beside my bed for HD, my 11.5" suppressed 5.56 loaded with MK318 is what I'd take with me first if on the move during some sort of SHTF zombie apocalypse.
View Quote
Yep..., me too.

My 300BO sits propped up in the corner next to the bed, but for a SHTF scenario/Zombie Apocalypse I'd be taking my 12.5" 5.56 as I would be more likely to find ammo while on the move if I had to bug out to parts unknown.  And for that I'd also be carrying as many full mags as I can as well as water, a life-straw filter, an extra pair of good boots and my stash of fish antibiotics.  But that's a whole 'nother topic of discussion.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A realistic conversation should include the FACT that M193 fails to yaw/fragment a significant percentage of the time.  As do most (probably all) yaw dependent projectiles.

Some of us actually shoot stuff.  Sometimes way out there.  In any HD/SD situation, like the idea of having a projectile that has proven it's effectiveness to me in real life.  And sometimes in real life I'm shooting at a hog/coyote/skunk/chupacabra at more than across the room distances.
View Quote
For HD/SD???
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A realistic conversation should include the FACT that M193 fails to yaw/fragment a significant percentage of the time.  As do most (probably all) yaw dependent projectiles.
View Quote
This is why the three most important considerations concerning ammo choices in a HD/SD situation are:

1.  Shot placement

2.  Shot placement

&

3.  Shot placement

If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, and threatens me or my children..., (and I am forced to shoot them at close distance) in the center of their chest or between their eyes; it's not gonna matter one damned bit whether or not the bullet "yaws'.  But I get your point.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#14]
At indoor distances it probably doesn’t matter. Still, I don’t know why one would choose ball for SD when there are so many better options that are readily available.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
If I was that confident in my shot placement, then I just assume use a 9mm pcc than a 5.56 with a round that icepicks.

I'm not, so I dont.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So I guess you shoot CB caps for self defense?  I mean, nothing but shot placement matters, so why bother with a silly old 22LR.

Seriously, shot placement is a straw man argument.  Yes, if you miss, it doesn't matter what kind of bullet you're shooting.  Thanks for that grand piece of wisdom.

And I've personally had M193 icepick at barrel tap distances, much less across the room, from a 16" tube.  This thread is about an 11.5" tube, which will have even less velocity.

Sure, M193 will give you an 80+% chance of working on the first shot, maybe 90+%.  Modern bonded expanding projectiles will give you upwards of 99% dependability.  I'll take every edge I can get.

It's really not about how bad M193 is, it's about how much better modern options have become.
View Quote
What do you all mean by "icepick" in this context?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Penetrate without expanding, yawing, or fragmenting. Basically a caliber-size hole.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Penetrate without expanding, yawing, or fragmenting. Basically a caliber-size hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So I guess you shoot CB caps for self defense?  I mean, nothing but shot placement matters, so why bother with a silly old 22LR.

Seriously, shot placement is a straw man argument.  Yes, if you miss, it doesn't matter what kind of bullet you're shooting.  Thanks for that grand piece of wisdom.

And I've personally had M193 icepick at barrel tap distances, much less across the room, from a 16" tube.  This thread is about an 11.5" tube, which will have even less velocity.

Sure, M193 will give you an 80+% chance of working on the first shot, maybe 90+%.  Modern bonded expanding projectiles will give you upwards of 99% dependability.  I'll take every edge I can get.

It's really not about how bad M193 is, it's about how much better modern options have become.
View Quote
I completely agree with you.  Yes, there is no reason to pick "ball" ammo when there are great options like Mk262 or any Gold Dot/Fusion rounds.

All of my HD/SD 5.56 mags are loaded with either MagTech Mk262 clone, or 64gr Gold Dots.

The point I was trying to make is that if all you have at your disposal is "ball" ammo (with proper shot placement) it is going to be very, very effective!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I completely agree with you.  Yes, there is no reason to pick "ball" ammo when there are great options like Mk262 or any Gold Dot/Fusion rounds.

All of my HD/SD 5.56 mags are loaded with either MagTech Mk262 clone, or 64gr Gold Dots.

The point I was trying to make is that if all you have at your disposal is "ball" ammo (with proper shot placement) it is going to be very, very effective!
View Quote
Since we're talking about ball ammo..
At HD distances, my FliteControl 12 guage will have a baseball size entrance wound and a softball size exit.
Not suppressed or SB though, so we'd have a "cannon of 1812" indoors.
Edit - Sorry, admin..OT. Don't know how to delete.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

77gr TMK can fail to penetrate adequately from a 20" barrel.
View Quote
I love your tests and I mean no offense by this, but I’d trust the results I’ve seen on live animals over a potentially flawed gel test. The fact that the TMK consistently exits a large white tail’s chest cavity (16+” of penetration) at 2650-2700fps impact velocity tells us that it’s not a round that underpenetrates. Seems kinda silly to rule it out for HD uses out of a long barrel just because of one bad result in a gel test when it performs phenomenally on medium game.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

FYI... Creedmoor Sports sells a 69gr TMK .223 load. Those might stabilize better... HOWEVER.. I have no idea about ballistic performance from a 10.5 -12.5 barrel

Claimed velocity is ( no mention of barrel length ) 2875fps... YMMV.........https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/2587/Creedmoor-Ammunition

16" performance BH 5.56 69gr TMK... no velocity shown... and penetration "might" be deeper from a lower impact velocity, from a shorter barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/_____5_56-69-Gr_-TMK-1306800.jpg
View Quote
I have read that the 69 grainers can lack penetration.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Aaron Cowan and Steve Fisher both use 75gr Gold Dot in their SBRs. That's a good endorsement.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aaron Cowan and Steve Fisher both use 75gr Gold Dot in their SBRs. That's a good endorsement.
View Quote
75gr gold dot is a mean round, but wouldn’t the velocity be a bit lacking in an SBR? I really wish 5.56 gold dots were still a thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Precisely.

Talking about "self-defense"ammo , and then mentioning what any type of ammo will to at 500 meters is rubbish to say the least.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE the AR-15 rifle.  IMO, it is the best weapon ever conceived, but we all need to be realistic about ammo.

Getting shot with ANY type of .223 or 5.56 ammo is going to be absolutely devastating.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has never seen first-hand what a high-velocity .223/5.56 round will do to the human body.
View Quote
I’ve seen some gnarly as fuck pictures of people shot with 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

75gr gold dot is a mean round, but wouldn’t the velocity be a bit lacking in an SBR? I really wish 5.56 gold dots were still a thing.
View Quote
Actually, it did quite well in the below linked ARFCOM video from an 11.5" barrel. 19.5" of penetration, with a velocity of 2370 fps. The recovered round showed good expansion too.

https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like the GD 75’s get most of their acceleration from the first bit of barrel length, and are made to get a decent amount of speed from SBRs. Or, put another way, they gain less than some other rounds from a longer barrel. I’d trust them to perform well at any reasonable HD distance from a SBR. They’re not my go-to, but I’ve used them, would recommend them, and am a fan. If barrier blind performance were a higher priority for me, they’d (or the 55’s, would) probably be my pick over my TMKs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Gold Dots work well in SBRS,in my personal 4 layer denim test out of a 16" barrel shows extreme expansion and decent penetration. I personally prefer 62 gr Tactical Bonded.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#31]
The 75gr Gold Dot was designed specifically for SBR’s.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Seems like the GD 75’s get most of their acceleration from the first bit of barrel length, and are made to get a decent amount of speed from SBRs. Or, put another way, they gain less than some other rounds from a longer barrel. I’d trust them to perform well at any reasonable HD distance from a SBR. They’re not my go-to, but I’ve used them, would recommend them, and am a fan. If barrier blind performance were a higher priority for me, they’d (or the 55’s, would) probably be my pick over my TMKs.
View Quote
I'm sure the gold dots are great. I'm a 77gr TMK fan, myself. I've lurked this forum for a while and I see that you've used the TMKs on deer. How was the damage, in your experience? Out of a 16" AR, I tend to get a 3-4" diameter wound channel, and a 2" or so exit if applicable. Organs are basically liquefied. Very similar to the pics posted by the user Formidilosus on rokslide, if you've seen any of those. A poster on reddit uploaded some pics of the 75gr gold dot on deer, and although the entry and exit wounds were nothing amazing, the heart was absolutely pulverized. Seems like a good alternative to the TMK for barrier uses, even if it's not quite as effective.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The 75gr Gold Dot was designed specifically for SBR’s.
View Quote
True, I just like to think that the extra velocity of a 5.56 load would help with temporary stretch cavity damage. That's a different topic for a different day, though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I use Hornady 75gr TAP SBR for HD in my 10.5 & 11.5 inch guns.

EDIT: Same load in their "Training" round for range and training.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm sure the gold dots are great. I'm a 77gr TMK fan, myself. I've lurked this forum for a while and I see that you've used the TMKs on deer. How was the damage, in your experience? Out of a 16" AR, I tend to get a 3-4" diameter wound channel, and a 2" or so exit if applicable. Organs are basically liquefied. Very similar to the pics posted by the user Formidilosus on rokslide, if you've seen any of those. A poster on reddit uploaded some pics of the 75gr gold dot on deer, and although the entry and exit wounds were nothing amazing, the heart was absolutely pulverized. Seems like a good alternative to the TMK for barrier uses, even if it's not quite as effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve never taken any pics or measured, but I’ve killed plenty with both rounds. Seems like the TMK is a bit shorter of a wound path but more destructive, while the GD is a longer wound path but more mild throughout. Like opposite stretch phases of an accordion if that makes sense. Both usually exit though, so I don’t worry about penetration with either on things the size of a person or medium sized game.

The TMK is the most destructive bullet I’ve killed things with. I think of it as a varmint round that’s been designed to perform optimally on human-sized varmints. I expect the entire chest cavity to be turned to shredded soup, to include lungs and heart systems. I also expect the neck to look like it swallowed a football. On the back end I expect a hole big enough to stick at least a couple fingers in. Once on a broadside I distinctly remember seeing blood GUSH out as she ran a few yards before piling up, it looked like a garden hose timed to her heart beat.

I used to be leery about hunting deer with .223, but some of these bullets on the market nowadays are downright gnarly. A happy accident of this shift is now I can see what my bedside rifle and ammo combo does on live tissue of an approximately human sized organism. Turns out, it does quite a lot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ve never taken any pics or measured, but I’ve killed plenty with both rounds. Seems like the TMK is a bit shorter of a wound path but more destructive, while the GD is a longer wound path but more mild throughout. Like opposite stretch phases of an accordion if that makes sense. Both usually exit though, so I don’t worry about penetration with either on things the size of a person or medium sized game.

The TMK is the most destructive bullet I’ve killed things with. I think of it as a varmint round that’s been designed to perform optimally on human-sized varmints.

I used to be leery about hunting deer with .223, but some of these bullets on the market nowadays are downright gnarly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TMK is the most destructive bullet I’ve killed things with. I think of it as a varmint round that’s been designed to perform optimally on human-sized varmints.

I used to be leery about hunting deer with .223, but some of these bullets on the market nowadays are downright gnarly.
I like the TMK myself, wish the prices were a little lower for loaded and raw components
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like the TMK myself, wish the prices were a little lower for loaded and raw components
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely wish they were cheaper. They’re such an awesome bullet. Extremely lethal, very precise, and extremely efficient over distance. If they weren’t also so expensive they’d be all I’d ever shoot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Something to consider in a self-defense shooting, especially in the civilian context, is that the person you are shooting will be very near you. If you've ever shot a deer, you know that sometimes even a .308 with a great bullet punching both lungs and the heart won't drop the deer for 25-75 yards. Nothing you can fire from the shoulder is going to drop someone before they can stick a knife in you, unless:

1) They choose to stop.
2) You hit the CNS.

Terminal ballistics is always a good thing to keep in mind, but rapid, effective hits are the only real solution.

This is not nearly as sexy, as it involves hard work and training and personal improvement and cannot be "bought" like a box of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Definitely wish they were cheaper. They’re such an awesome bullet. Extremely lethal, very precise, and extremely efficient over distance. If they weren’t also so expensive they’d be all I’d ever shoot.
View Quote
I have yet to find a weapon that likes them. The best group I've gotten from them was a little over 2moa, from guns that have shot 1-1.1moa with other ammo. (10 shots, 100 yards).
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have yet to find a weapon that likes them. The best group I've gotten from them was a little over 2moa, from guns that have shot 1-1.1moa with other ammo. (10 shots, 100 yards).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve always had the opposite experience. It never shoots quite as good as SMK in terms of absolute precision for me, it’s usually .1-2 or so MOA looser. It makes up for it at range with its higher BC though. Still, all my rifles I’ve shot them through likes them.

My KAC 14.5 shoots them to 1-1.25 MOA, my 16” Stealth shoots them at around MOA, my Rainier Ultramatch about the same, and my BCM 12.5” shoots it about 1.5 MOA. Even my Tavor shot it <2 MOA (it’s SO hard to shoot a Tavor for groups). I’ve never shot it through my other setups for groups but I’d expect them to perform similarly.

Also, I’ve tried the Creedmoor Sports loadings. Some people  swear by them. I definitely had good results, especially at the price, but they were always about .25 MOA or so looser than the BH loading.

I think all this, more than anything, goes to show that everyone’s equipment will have different preferences and that when it comes to precision YMMV is the order of the day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Something to consider in a self-defense shooting, especially in the civilian context, is that the person you are shooting will be very near you. If you've ever shot a deer, you know that sometimes even a .308 with a great bullet punching both lungs and the heart won't drop the deer for 25-75 yards. Nothing you can fire from the shoulder is going to drop someone before they can stick a knife in you, unless:

1) They choose to stop.
2) You hit the CNS.

Terminal ballistics is always a good thing to keep in mind, but rapid, effective hits are the only real solution.

This is not nearly as sexy, as it involves hard work and training and personal improvement and cannot be "bought" like a box of ammo.
View Quote
Do u even arfcom brah?
I need defense bullets that will dominate ballistic gel at 400 yards!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang, that’s some bad luck. My criterion chrome lined gets right around moa with the black hills 5.56 version. Normal SMKs are a little more accurate, but I’d gladly take 1 moa with excellent, reliable terminal performance over .75 moa with worse terminal performance. Not sure why your guns seem to hate the TMK.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Actually, it did quite well in the below linked ARFCOM video from an 11.5" barrel. 19.5" of penetration, with a velocity of 2370 fps. The recovered round showed good expansion too.

https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4
View Quote
Speer 75gr Gold Dot Ammunition
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1) They choose to stop.
2) You hit the CNS.

View Quote
It's estimated only about half of all incapacitations are psychological. CNS damage comprises a small minority of gunshot wound deaths and are mostly luck in the context of self defense situations.

On the flip side, it's been demonstrated that animals much larger than humans can be rapidly felled with multiple relatively low powered shots to the lungs, and the detrimental effects of low blood pressure take effect immediately without an extended period of consciousness provided by "oxygen remaining in the brain." In fact, nearly everyone has personally experienced this for themselves when they've become unexpectedly dizzy after standing up.

If one were serious about trying to disable the CNS in lieu of inflicting greater bodily damage, then it might be preferable to use FMJ instead of shorter-necked bullets that don't create a substantial temporary cavity by the time they reach the spine - or switch to a PCC that would afford lower recoil so as to target the brain more easily. It can be generally agreed, though, that neither option is optimal in practice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Reading through this thread, and curious where the Hornady Black 5.56 75gr Interlock HD SBR load fits into the other factory loadings being mentioned. I have several mags of that and is what sits in my go to gun.

Trying to figure out some of Hornady's TAP loadings, and frustrating how the actual bullets being used are hidden behind branding.

I'd also like some the FBI 62GR 5.56 TBBC loads but not many places sell it. Wonder what is behind the general lack of quality 5.56 rounds with effective loadings. You can buy all the cheap FMJ you want but 5.56 loads with good bullets are hard to get or you run into LE restricted BS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Reading through this thread, and curious where the Hornady Black 5.56 75gr Interlock HD SBR load fits into the other factory loadings being mentioned. I have several mags of that and is what sits in my go to gun.

Trying to figure out some of Hornady's TAP loadings, and frustrating how the actual bullets being used are hidden behind branding.

I'd also like some the FBI 62GR 5.56 TBBC loads but not many places sell it. Wonder what is behind the general lack of quality 5.56 rounds with effective loadings. You can buy all the cheap FMJ you want but 5.56 loads with good bullets are hard to get or you run into LE restricted BS.
View Quote
One had to get the FBI XM556SBCT3 or MK318 Clone T556TNB1 or USSS ZQ3352SS some time ago, all seems to be OOS now
I think the Hornady 81296 will be GTG, I think the bullet may be the same as the TAP SBR, the specs and appearance seem to be, the propellant description also is similar.
FWIW: Hornady 81296 article
ETA: Hornady 81296 bullet has dual cannelures, I think T2 TAP only has one
ETA: Here is some hard data Warning- Logorrhea
ETA: The 81296 bullet looks like it may be the same as the TAP SBR bullet which has 2 cannelures. 75 gr TAP SBR
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Is TAP T2 still considered a solid choice for an 11.5" if I do not want to penetrate walls? What else would you recommend base on that requirement?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#48]
TAP T2 should be good to go as long as Hornady didn't change it significantly in the past ~15 years. They have a gel test online that only shows 10.5" of penetration but this is not totally surprising, manufacturer gel tests can be funky sometimes. (Hornady has a couple other tests that seem suspect too.) Dr. Roberts obtained an average of 13.8" penetration with a 16" barrel in 2006 and noted the performance was extremely consistent.

I suspect TAP T2 may actually initiate fragmentation by expansion rather than yaw, at least at close range out of a 16". I am not sure if it would still do this reliably out of an 11.5" but I would still expect it to fragment in some way or another.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is TAP T2 still considered a solid choice for an 11.5" if I do not want to penetrate walls? What else would you recommend base on that requirement?
View Quote

Read This
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’ve seen some gnarly as fuck pictures of people shot with 5.56.
View Quote

Same. LOTS of bruising at the impact site. Messy. Did the job.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top