Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
All I load anymore for 223 is Hornady 75gr BTHP. So.. That. Have a bunch of TSX and Mk318 on hand but everything is zero'd to the 75gr.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You dont have to tell me twice. M193 is literally the best for HD/SD.
View Quote
I've never said it was best. I said it was adequate for the job. I also said there were better options.

I said if I've been shooting it, and that's what I have in the mag that's in the gun, I just leave it. I also do other types the same.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Mags loaded with a variety of the rounds you’d expect to be mentioned in this sort of thread.

I suppose the “odd man out” would be the mags loaded with BH 50gr TSX. The rest are all of the 62gr variety...

-Federal Fusion (mostly the MSR version)
-Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded
-Speer GD
-Federal Trophy Bonded

All of the above will perform close enough that there’s no real sense in splitting hairs. I stick with 62gr offerings for a few reasons. One, it keeps the ballistics relatively close beyond short range distances. Two, it’s a good middle of the road weight that just about any carbine in a SHTF scenario will be able handle. Three, it’s fairly easy to find at least one of the above on sale at any given point in time. As mentioned earlier, because the ballistics are all relatively close, I don’t have to be picky. Just buy whatever is the best deal.

I’ve been thinking about adding another into the rotation; which would be unique compared to the others. The 79gr DRT. I know, it’s gimmicky. But, of the gimmicky rounds, it’s the most intriguing for me.

For starters, there are some good examples of it being used in the field against four-legged critters. It also does well with intermediate barriers; while seemingly losing very little in terminal performance. In the testing I’ve seen, it adequately penetrates and fragments very consistently. Another plus is that, because of the design/composition, the 79gr projectile will work in a 1:9 twist. Finally, the alleged fragmentation threshold is incredibly low; when compared to other defensive rounds. DRT lists it at 1400-1500fps. If even remotely close, that’s a big deal for the shorter barreled ARs.

That last part is what’s really drawn my interest. The odds are already slim that I’d ever need to deploy an AR in a defensive situation. Even slimmer that it’d be at distances beyond CQB. Still, it’d be nice to know that it should continue to perform at ranges where the others I’ve listed would fizzle out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
62 gr. Federal Fusion MSR in the carbine. Several more 30s of the same and the rest M193 in the chest rig.

I do not envision using this weapon beyond 50-100 yards, so feel my ammunition choice is perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
question to those using XM193: If XM193 is so good, then why are no major militaries using it for deployment?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I couldn't decide between heavy OTM or barrier blind, so I alternate the rounds in my mag with 64gr GD and 75gr OTM's. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Seriously?
Right?  I don't feel like a bunch of different loads in the same mag is the best idea.  I've seen 62gr 5.56 hit 3" higher than 55gr .223 at 100yds out of the same rifle.  3 shot groups in each, American Eagle 5.56 green tip and Wolf Gold .223.  I could see having full mags of alternate loads, but I want all the rounds in one mag the same.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
11.5” barrel hornady 75gr interlocks
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
question to those using XM193: If XM193 is so good, then why are no major militaries using it for deployment?
View Quote
Because militaries like barrier penetration. I’ve also seen militaries use Norinco m193 spec’d ammo.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
62gr bonded softpoint (FBIT3) & 11.5" Colt upper
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC, the US .mil dropped it for the M855, (the original one), and it sucked. M193 was also deemed to be "Too lethal". Not sure who gets to decide that, or why they did, but our doctrine of warfare that wounding one will effectively take 3-5 out of the fight has long been proven less than accurate. For some reason we still rely on the practice-or did.
M855 does meet some lofty specs, like penetrating a steel helmet that no one used at the time and still don't, at 800 yard/meters. Sorry can't remember which off the top of my head. Good luck hitting that helmet or the body under it at that distance, as well. It's better today for accuracy but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, the US .mil dropped it for the M855, (the original one), and it sucked. M193 was also deemed to be "Too lethal". Not sure who gets to decide that, or why they did, but our doctrine of warfare that wounding one will effectively take 3-5 out of the fight has long been proven less than accurate. For some reason we still rely on the practice-or did.
M855 does meet some lofty specs, like penetrating a steel helmet that no one used at the time and still don't, at 800 yard/meters. Sorry can't remember which off the top of my head. Good luck hitting that helmet or the body under it at that distance, as well. It's better today for accuracy but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My question was rhetorical. My answer: because there is better out there.  Ice pick wounds and 2-4 MOA goups. I've read way too many stories from hospitals and such of ice pick wounds from 55gr fmj.

I want a proven load that has a bullet that creates both a short cavity neck and a huge wound cavity consistently.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. Also concerns of punching thru Soviet body armor at 400m distance+. Based on the Soviet armor acquired at the time it was in development.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My question was rhetorical. My answer: because there is better out there.  Ice pick wounds and 2-4 MOA goups. I've read way too many stories from hospitals and such of ice pick wounds from 55gr fmj.

I want a proven load that has a bullet that creates both a short cavity neck and a huge wound cavity consistently.
View Quote
At self defense distances 2-4 moa isn't very big, and you're not going to be standing still punching completely cooperative paper. you're not shooting for groups.

SD for most is inside 25 yards, maybe 50. 1moa at 50 yards is a half an inch, and at 25 it's a quarter of an inch. So at 4moa , 25 yards would be a 1" group, and 50 yards would be 2".

The requirements for the gun / ammo combo of a military rifle from WWI until today, is 4moa. 4moa is 20 inches at 500 yards, which is the width of a human torso. With 4moa, you can get hits on a torso with a rack grade rifle.

As far as ice pick wounds, that is not typical for  M193 at SD distances, but is typical for M855 or steel core / steel cased Russian made stuff.

M193 has a short neck, of about 2"-3",  at anything over 2700fps, and fragments violently. Under 2700fps you start getting 4" + necks, but from a carbine at 50 yards and in you're 2900fps +. If you're shooting from a 10"-12.5" barrel, choose something else, but we're talking carbines here, not SBRs.

Other than velocity M193 and all small caliber rifle bullets can experience problems with angle of attack, but usually at longer ranges than self defense.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
None of this is correct. M193 was not dropped because it was “too lethal”.  And the US “doctrine” has never been that wounding is better than killing. The fact that a wounded man is helpied by a couple other men is true but the idea that M193 was designed to wound is an old wives tale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M193 was also deemed to be "Too lethal". Not sure who gets to decide that, or why they did, but our doctrine of warfare that wounding one will effectively take 3-5 out of the fight has long been proven less than accurate. For some reason we still rely on the practice-or did.
None of this is correct. M193 was not dropped because it was “too lethal”.  And the US “doctrine” has never been that wounding is better than killing. The fact that a wounded man is helpied by a couple other men is true but the idea that M193 was designed to wound is an old wives tale.
I was going to address that but thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
IMI 77gr Razorcore in my Colt 6920
75gr Gold Dot in my 14.5” BCM
64gr Gold Dot in my 16” BCM
XM193 in all my other rifles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

snip....
View Quote
Last time I will argue it.

Then why isn't XM193 or M193 used by any major militaries? Why doesn't the FBI use M193?

Yes it will kill, but no DRT. Yes it is cheap. For plinking and some 3 gun, yes.

I mentioned groups because we all use our bulk ammo for other shooting, like 3 gun. I do. That is why I prefer Wolf Gold for bulk. It is 1.2-1.75 MOA all day.

I will spend my money on something better for HD that makes bad guys DRT. I don't want an icepick wound letting a bad guy stay in the fight any longer than he should.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
75gr GD's in a 10.5

Below is some support for this choice of ammo for short range home defense use.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/75gr_Gold_Dot/16-683974/?

https://youtu.be/2lkI36eUoy4 video by Andrew w/TCB

I also have some Federal XM556SBCT3 on the way which is 62gr reportedly identical to FBI XM556FBIT3.
When the above ammo arrives it will be loaded in the 10.5 and the Gold Dots will be used in a 14.5

https://youtu.be/Z3OjZpjTvLQ video by Andrew w/TCB

A break in while you are home could result in the death of you or a loved one. I only do this to stop the aggressors deadly intentions
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then why isn't XM193 or M193 used by any major militaries? Why doesn't the FBI use M193?

Yes it will kill, but no DRT. Yes it is cheap. For plinking and some 3 gun, yes.

I mentioned groups because we all use our bulk ammo for other shooting, like 3 gun. I do. That is why I prefer Wolf Gold for bulk. It is 1.2-1.75 MOA all day.

I will spend my money on something better for HD that makes bad guys DRT. I don't want an icepick wound letting a bad guy stay in the fight any longer than he should.

JMHO.
View Quote
For the last time, XM193 doesn’t ice pick especially at close ranges. And you know what causes a bad guy to be DRT? Proper shot placement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
M193
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
75gr Gold Dot. Ive dropped hollow points after this year's deer season experiences with latest gen GMX.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For the last time, XM193 doesn’t ice pick especially at close ranges. And you know what causes a bad guy to be DRT? Proper shot placement.
View Quote
Except when it does. Fackler documented a case of if. Punctuate wound like a .22. Soldier was back at it soon after.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
IMI 77gr Razorcore in my Colt 6920
75gr Gold Dot in my 14.5” BCM
64gr Gold Dot in my 16” BCM
XM193 in all my other rifles.
View Quote
Why so many different loads for SD? I find it much easier to use one or two loads for defense in all my 556 ARs. Your three are all within 1.5" barrel length of eachother so ballistics should be pretty close between the three with any one of those loads, I assume they're all 1:7 twist? I have FBIT3 for everything from my main SD round to deer hunting with a few mags of Mk318 Mod 1 loaded up if theres a chance I might need a little more penetration, although I'd probably swap the Mod 1 for M855A1 if it was as easy/cheap to get locally.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Dupe
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

JMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip....

JMHO.
I'll advise you to go to the ammo oracle, Brass Fetcher, or a myriad of others that say the opposite of what you argue.

AR-15 AR15 ammo test: M193 XM193F 5.56 NATO in ballistic gelatin

Go to 3:20 minutes in.

5.56mm NATO XM193: Drywall & Ballistic Gel Test

One more little plus. The vast majority of body armor you may encounter in any SD shootings will be penetrated by M193, and not M855, and not most of the heavier rounds. Why? Velocity. The M193 exceeds the velocity threshold of most armor within self defense distances, whereas the others do not. There are solid coppers that will penetrate at bit slower speed. Some of the Barnes would do it, but a lot of the solids were pulled from the market, and the ATF raided Barnes and other companies and seized their stock.

Patriot Armor The Truth About M193
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Except when it does. Fackler documented a case of if. Punctuate wound like a .22. Soldier was back at it soon after.
View Quote
Yes, that was a failure due to the angle of attack, which I've noted, but the AoA is not much of a concern at SD distances due to the retained speed of the bullet, where the violence of impact will cause fragmentation after tumbling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, that was a failure due to the angle of attack, which I've noted, but the AoA is not much of a concern at SD distances due to the retained speed of the bullet, where the violence of impact will cause fragmentation after tumbling.
View Quote
I believe he was shot pretty close, but need to go reread.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
No option for heavy soft points.

Speer 75gr Gold Dots. I have one rifle with those, because they shoot great. The other rifle has 62 gr Fusion.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]
At "in home" distances I'm grabbing whatever mag is currently close and loaded. Aren't many rounds that aren't going to zip right through a crack head at 15 ft. 2 rounds center mass at close range from an ar is severely lethal no matter the round used. Lord help them if the bullet enters the side of the ribcage moving though the body sideways. Hope I never get put in that situation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Since the correct answer for my situation of "00 Buck Shot" is not in the options list...  

... I have loaded Federal Tactical 75 JHPBT and feel that would work well at home defense (close) distances.

At those very Close distances, I also think plain jane M193 (fragmentation) would work effectively too.

And don't forget that the great Oracle of "truth", '60 minutes' did their special report about how about "Why the AR-15 is the choice of mass murders".   It was because "Rounds from an AR-15" liquify and devastate people..."
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#32]
73gr hornady critical defense, m855a1, and 55gr bthp hornady frontier. I have the most of the frontier stuff. M855a1 is NOT what I would use inside a house because that tungsten tip will keep going through. My buddy went deer hunting with it and took a deer in Ohio with a neck shot, he had TWO exit wounds. One from the copper slug and one from the tungsten penetrator. The hornady 55gr bthp does well in gel tests but only gets 10 inches of penetration. But it destroys the gel and fragments like crazy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#33]
55 grain bonded Gold Dot
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
110g v-max in my bedside 8" HD rifle.

Standard 7 mag load out of mk318 in my 14.5" shtf rifle, with > 1,200rnds of 64/75g Gold Dots in ammo cans ready to take with me if I have to leave. Nearly 10k rounds of M193 in the stash.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
M193 is a very "Yaw" dependent bullet, as in it is not very predictable / consistent in its fragmentation and is heavily dependent on impact angle.

In layman's terms... if it impacts at a slight angle it is far more lethal, if it happens to impact at a shallower angle it does tend to "icepick".

That issue, is enough to produce the inconsistent fragmentation associated with it.

You can see , in the image, how bullet impacts may not frag, like desired, in thinner media.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/FleetYaw2-749067.jpg

This is why so many other bullet designs have been developed... and deployed.

For instance, the current M855A1 is far less "yaw" dependent.... making its performance far more consistent.

A lot of 5.56 ammo is yaw dependent ( Even Mk262 ) ... and some is far less yaw dependent,  Sierra TMK bullets were designed to be less yaw dependent. The Poly tip initiates expansion in a far more reliable way.... and the same can be said with other modern bullets... GD, TBBC, even simple SP's...

BUT, since bullet development is an ongoing thing... those same designs can be dependent on velocities as well...

To me... M193 will work, especially if it hits bone, and is at the correct yaw angle... but a lot of modern designs have taken the yaw angle aspect and minimized it.
Took decades, but it does work.

I am not sure if any .224 sized bullet will work in every shooting scenario, but the M193 can be a "Jack of All Trades" to a reasonable point. The M855A1 is a much better "JoAT".. respectable AP properties, and less yaw dependent.

So consider your "needs" and buy accordingly.
View Quote
You're thinking of M855, not M193.  The pictures you've posted are from M855 gel shots as well.

M193 is not nearly as yaw dependent as M855, which is one of the advantages of it.

As for "ice pick wounds" in the rare case that happens, even an "ice pick" wound through your vitals (lung, heart, neck, brain, spine) is going to put you down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@Bigger_Hammer

00 Buck shot does just flat out do the job.
No offense intended at all... I assume you mean 77gr , and is there a Tactical Version marketed by Federal ? Just asking because I'd love to see a higher velocity loading from Federal... and  FWIW, the Fed. GMM 77gr load was pretty slow from my chrono testing.

Or if you meant the Hornady 75gr T2 TAP... then that stuff is great, and fast.

Again no offense intended.
View Quote
@bafoosh06  You are Right - My brain is slipping.  the Ammo IS Hornady TAP 75grain HPBT.

Just about all my Defense Ammo is Federal HST for Buckshot & Pistol (9mm & 40).

I bought 4 x 20 round boxes.  Loaded 60 (2 x 30 mags - one in the gun and one on a stock mounted magazine holder and shot fullone box (20) to confirm zero with irons & optic & check function.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#39]
You mean "right".  M855 is more yaw dependent than M193, which is what I state.  That is a fact.  It is also a fact that the gel test images he posted are with M855 bullets.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Not much skinnier of a torso exists than on the malnourished Vietcong.  M193 had no problems downing them.  Again, M855 is not M193.

If you have a 20" barrel, I'd argue that M193 is even superior to most of the newer bullet designs.  Carbines and shorter barrels are another story.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Ive always understood that it is the yaw that causes the fragmentation in 193. Without yaw, it ice picks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Alternates ammo in the magazine guy showed up, awesome.

Magtech MK262 clone user here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok, let me rephrase.  M193 is less dependant on the angle of yaw than m855, which is what the above referenced m855 gel test was showing (much longer / shorter neck due to angle of yaw).
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#49]
This isn’t GD - Eric802
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#50]
2008 Study by Gary K. Roberts, LCDR, USNR

also

“In 1980, I treated a soldier shot accidentally with an M16 M193 bullet from a distance of about ten feet. The bullet entered his left thigh and traveled obliquely upward. It exited after passing through about 11 inches of muscle. The man walked in to my clinic with no limp whatsoever: the entrance and exit holes were about 4 mm across, and punctate. X-ray films showed intact bones, no bullet fragments, and no evidence of significant tissue disruption caused by the bullet’s temporary cavity. The bullet path passed well lateral to the femoral vessels. He was back on duty in a few days. Devastating? Hardly. The wound profile of the M193 bullet (page 29 of the Emergency War Surgery—NATO Handbook, GPO, Washington, D.C., 1988) shows that most often the bullet travels about five inches through flesh before beginning significant yaw. But about 15% of the time, it travels much farther than that before yawing—in which case it causes even milder wounds, if it missed bones, guts, lung, and major blood vessels. In my experience and research, at least as many M16 users in Vietnam concluded that it produced unacceptably minimal, rather than “massive”, wounds. After viewing the wound profile, recall that the Vietnamese were small people, and generally very slim. Many M16 bullets passed through their torsos traveling mostly point forward, and caused minimal damage. Most shots piercing an extremity, even in the heavier-built Americans, unless they hit bone, caused no more damage than a 22 caliber rimfire bullet.”

Fackler, ML: “Literature Review”. Wound Ballistics Review; 5(2):40, Fall 2001
View Quote
link to Wound Ballistics Review PDF
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top