Are you cutting the nose off?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you cutting the nose off?
View Quote
On the GMXs?  No

A guy on the Grendel Forum cuts them down from the rear and re-profiles them with a new boat tail.

He has tried weights from 86gr to 105gr with the GMX, killed deer with it, tweaked the weight here and there.

He just wants speed for closer range hunting distances with a monolith that expands well.

I've done the same thing with the 120r TSX, but GMX has a lower expansion threshold so lends itself well.

We'd like Hornady to do a factory 94gr GMX load for 6.5 Grendel for a premium hunting bullet, but that's more of a nice to have than a need.

Cup and core bullets slay medium game just fine from Grendel, even varmint bullets.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
123gr SST BC is really .462 G1 for Grendel.

129gr SST is .495 G1 in one of the papers I have from Litz.

Expansion threshold for the SSTs is 1800fps.
View Quote
Where did you get the .462 G1 number for the 123gr? I just pulled the data from Hornady's website. Is this a case of the manufacturer padding it's numbers?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where did you get the .462 G1 number for the 123gr? I just pulled the data from Hornady's website. Is this a case of the manufacturer padding it's numbers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
123gr SST BC is really .462 G1 for Grendel.

129gr SST is .495 G1 in one of the papers I have from Litz.

Expansion threshold for the SSTs is 1800fps.
The claimed .510 BC for the AMAX and SST turned out to be inflated.

They are .462 and .468 G1.  If you look at Hornady's published doppler-based BC data for the ELD-Ms, and extrapolate the mach range to fps, you can see where and why the BCs will be lower, especially on the 123gr SST.

Doppler-based BCs

If you place a 123gr SST, AMAX, or ELD-M next to the 123gr SMK or 123gr Scenar, you see a big difference in profile, boat tail, and OAL.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What would be more informative for you?  Calibrated gel tests, or endless videos of hogs being slayed, because I can link the latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrBx7_2ltg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PBcjCopfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvaD6efRNIc

He's been using 90gr TNT a lot lately, with very positive results.  If you look at some of the recovered bullets, they were mushroomed like a soft point.
View Quote
Watched all the videos, thanks!

I was curious about the 90 in a short barrel (reduced velocity) perhaps acting like 110 tap from 308 in a sbr as opposed to a 16-20. Too fast and explosive at that speed, but excellent in a short barrel or slightly reduced velocity. I’m considering it for an all around hog/walkaround/home defense fun. I’m falling in love with my 12 inch Grendel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Another excellent write up, @Eagle_19r.

Off topic, but are there any concerns shooting with the Omega and the 12.5" upper?

I've been thinking of picking up a 12.5" 6.5 and using it with my Omega, but I cant find what the Sico's recommended minimum barrel length requirement is for the Grendel and Omega.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Off topic, but are there any concerns shooting with the Omega and the 12.5" upper?

I've been thinking of picking up a 12.5" 6.5 and using it with my Omega, but I cant find what the Sico's recommended minimum barrel length requirement is for the Grendel and Omega.
View Quote
From what I've seen, it's okay. But I don't have any cite, people here have definitely asked, so they might be able to post some e mails.

Also there's plenty of people running an Omega on 12" Grendel barrels currently.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From what I've seen, it's okay. But I don't have any cite, people here have definitely asked, so they might be able to post some e mails.

Also there's plenty of people running an Omega on 12" Grendel barrels currently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed SiCo and they said it's ok. I don't have the email any longer . I have no concerns using the Omega with it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 6.5mm SSTs expand consistently down to 1800fps when we did calibrated gel testing on them.  We did 10-shot samples, and consulted with Hornady on their results as well.  They do testing on gel out to 400yds to maintain real-world RPM, which has an effect on behavior in the tissue.

http://shootersnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Vol-2-Excerpt-300x326.jpg

The 123gr A-MAX expands down to ~1600fps, but isn't meant to be a controlled expansion bullet.

At Grendel speeds, it works very well as a hunting bullet on broadside shots on deer.  Its performance on hogs has been good, but not as good as the 123gr SST.

Same for the ELD-M, which is basically an A-MAX with the new tip just to streamline production.  Grendel never needed the new tips, but 123gr ELD-M got them anyway.

Some newer projectiles with lower expansion threshold are:

129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range-1300fps
110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos-1500fps

I think the Barnes 127gr LRX is supposed to expand down to 1600fps.  It's quite long, and more ideal when fired from a 6.5-08 class of cartridge, but has been used successfully in 6.5 Grendel to hunt Oryx from a JP complete rifle.

Several hunters with 6.5 Grendel SBRs or pistols are using the 129gr ABLR, with DRT or quick kill results as that bullet is extremely soft, but stays bonded.  It works as advertised, and necropsy has shown immediate and rapid expansion on hogs, with full opening within an inch of penetration, then massive cavitation of the vitals, usually with exits on broadside shots.

I have also been using modified Hornady GMXs cut down to 94gr in 6.5 Grendel.  From an 18", it does 2750-2800fps, expands really well and retains 99% weight.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/65%20Grendel%20Reloading/20170322_092509_zpsls2xkk1g.jpg
View Quote
Would you use 123 ELD-M bullets on deer out to 200 yards out of a 16" barrel?   They shoot much better than SSTs from my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Back up one step. What was your 5 round group sizes from both bullets?
You only need 2 MOA for deer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you so much for this data.  I am disappointed to see the Ballistic Advantage barrels perform so poorly in the accuracy department.  They proudly boast sub-MOA accuracy for every barrel they make, and I have yet to own a single BA barrel capable of demonstrating this.  My LaRue barrels group .5 MOA or better on an almost comically consistent basis.  You certainly have some match ammo amongst your testing choices.

Unfortunately it looks like you are having the same disappointing results.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Just giving this a bump, used some of this info today at the range. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll bump this thread too, as I found the 12.5 Federal Fusion ballistic info incredibly helpful!

That load is my deer hunting load as well as my future HD load out of my 12.5 Grendel SBR.

Btw, I've found Federal Fusion to be very precise out of my Ballistic Advantage barrel. Call it a fluke if you will but I have a 4 shot .431 inch group at 100 yards, with several other groups between .8 and 1.2 inch groups. I'm very pleased.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll bump this thread too, as I found the 12.5 Federal Fusion ballistic info incredibly helpful!

That load is my deer hunting load as well as my future HD load out of my 12.5 Grendel SBR.

Btw, I've found Federal Fusion to be very precise out of my Ballistic Advantage barrel. Call it a fluke if you will but I have a 4 shot .431 inch group at 100 yards, with several other groups between .8 and 1.2 inch groups. I'm very pleased.
View Quote
I'm really interested to see how the Fusion performs on animals from the Grendel. The 62gr .223 load is amazing on deer. I never would have expected that much penetration and damage from that little bullet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you so much for this data.  I am disappointed to see the Ballistic Advantage barrels perform so poorly in the accuracy department.  They proudly boast sub-MOA accuracy for every barrel they make, and I have yet to own a single BA barrel capable of demonstrating this.  My LaRue barrels group .5 MOA or better on an almost comically consistent basis.  You certainly have some match ammo amongst your testing choices.

Unfortunately it looks like you are having the same disappointing results.  Any thoughts?
View Quote
Look towards the bottom of page one.  I'm shooting a B.A. Hanson barrel and it shoots great.  I get results like that from both American Gunner and SST.  I haven't been able to try anything else yet, however a buddy said he ordered some ELDm and Fusion I'm going to get to try too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Look towards the bottom of page one.  I'm shooting a B.A. Hanson barrel and it shoots great.  I get results like that from both American Gunner and SST.  I haven't been able to try anything else yet, however a buddy said he ordered some ELDm and Fusion I'm going to get to try too.
View Quote
I don't understand your comment.  You said your barrel shoots great and then you also said "I get results like that" from two types of ammo.  Results like what?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The relative group sizes really point out the desirability of a longer barrel with this cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't understand your comment.  You said your barrel shoots great and then you also said "I get results like that" from two types of ammo.  Results like what?
View Quote
You were talking about Ballistic Advantage barrels performing like crap.  The pic. I have is of results I get in my ballistic advantage barrel with American Gunner Ammo.  I also get similar results using Hornady SST.  I'll be testing some ELD-M and fusion too as my buddy just located some locally.

Results like sub-moa and not crappy.  I'm just saying Ballistic Advantage barrels aren't all crap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You were talking about Ballistic Advantage barrels performing like crap.  The pic. I have is of results I get in my ballistic advantage barrel with American Gunner Ammo.  I also get similar results using Hornady SST.  I'll be testing some ELD-M and fusion too as my buddy just located some locally.

Results like sub-moa and not crappy.  I'm just saying Ballistic Advantage barrels aren't all crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My two BA’s (14” .223 and 12.5” 6.5G) both shoot awesome. I haven’t shot the 14” much for groups, but prior to hunting season last year it was putting 75gr Gold Dots into just over MOA. My 12.5” Grendel is very consistent with shooting AG into just over MOA, and often well under MOA groups. These are 5 shots, not three.

I’d call MOAish great performance in the real world, and especially at their price point. We aren’t talking handloads and Bartleins, we are talking $200ish barrels and bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for clarifying.  I'm glad your barrel shoots well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Wondering why OP got 2142fps avg with Wolf steel case from the 12.5" when David Fortier's mv avg over Oehler 35P was 2431fps from his 12.5".

2142fps seems like something is wrong, even with Wolf using under-sized projectiles.

For example, I'm getting 2683fps with the 90gr TNT from my 12" suppressed, with 9 shots recorded.

100gr should be in the 2400-2500fps region from a 12.5", nowhere near 2100fps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wondering why OP got 2142fps avg with Wolf steel case from the 12.5" when David Fortier's mv avg over Oehler 35P was 2431fps from his 12.5".

2142fps seems like something is wrong, even with Wolf using under-sized projectiles.

For example, I'm getting 2683fps with the 90gr TNT from my 12" suppressed, with 9 shots recorded.

View Quote
I was disappointed in the result as well. I used a box from a case that was purchased in the fall of 2017 (I think) for the test. All controls were the same as for every other test I've done and velocities for other rounds tested were within their "expected" range. The tests were all conducted on the same day in the same conditions, back to back and with a fresh battery in my chrono. The only thing I can think to point to is the ammo.

I'm hesitant to test another box from my existing cases by itself but I'll order another box up with my next ammo order and do a head to head between one of older boxes and a fresh box to see if I get a different result.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
WPA 100gr FMJ averaged right at 2500fps from my 16" Faxon barrel, chrono'ed with LabRadar.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is crap ammo and a crap shoot as to what you'll get. I have some that shot 4-5moa and maybe the occasional 3.5moa or so. My buddy bought 3k from SG and it shot a pretty consistent 2-2.5moa from his AA barrel.

Not surprised to see velocity all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Any expansion threshold data yet for the Federal Fusion MSR 120gr ?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top