Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2017 6:17:01 PM EDT
Being an ammo hoarder has caused me to purchase a few dozen boxes of sale Herters over time when placing Cabelas orders. It doesn't get burnt up very fast as I find it likes to hang up more than any other cheap ammo. I get adequate accuracy when it does load. I always assume it is that dry steel case causing it but am only a hoarder, not an ammo engineer. I thought of dumping a few boxes in a pail and giving it a light spraying of WD-40 to lube the case but not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Any Herters lovers here with any tips? I gotta think it hangs in a lot of guns with that unlacquared case. I want to call it chalky, but there isn't actually any residue but sure feels chalky to the touch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
WD40 or any oil will usually render the primer inert over time.

Ive heard people take steel wool to each round, wipe off corrosion of surplus rounds.

No problems with my 30 carbine steel ammo from Herters and Cabelas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WD40 or any oil will usually render the primer inert over time.
View Quote
No, it won't. This myth has been disproved numerous times, on ARFcom and other places.

OP- shake the rounds in a bag with a bit of powdered graphite. Way less messy than WD40.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, my supply of powdered graphite is gone (ok, never existed. Who has a can of powdered graphite laying around??? ??)

If I decide to spray it with wd40, it will be just the rounds I plan to shoot that day. Maybe dump a couple boxes in a gallon ziplock and only enough wd40 or ballistol to lightly coat them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Lubing rounds can create overpressure. The lube cannot compress.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh brother...  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dang, my supply of powdered graphite is gone (ok, never existed. Who has a can of powdered graphite laying around??? ??)

If I decide to spray it with wd40, it will be just the rounds I plan to shoot that day. Maybe dump a couple boxes in a gallon ziplock and only enough wd40 or ballistol to lightly coat them?
View Quote
It ain't hard to find.

Hell, rub a #2 pencil over the rounds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In case it makes a difference to anyone, Herrera = Tula. Same headstamps and everything, exact same ammo just in a different box.
View Quote
Thanks you

This thread with the WOMs is unbelievable

OP herters is some of the worst steel cased ammo. dumping wd-40 on it wont help.

It underpowered, and has exaction problems. Try a lighter buffer to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks you

This thread with the WOMs is unbelievable

OP herters is some of the worst steel cased ammo. dumping wd-40 on it wont help.

It underpowered, and has exaction problems. Try a lighter buffer to get rid of it.
View Quote
Tula is all over the place. 223 is underpowered, 45ACP and 308 is too hot....
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lubing rounds can increase pressure, but it has nothing to do with the lube not compressing. When the powder charge goes off, the case expands to grip the chamber walls. If the case is lubed it can't grip the walls correctly, increasing pressure back against the bolt face.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Tula .223 is the ammo I shoot the most as its what Walmart carries for steel case ammo. That said it is crap, it won't run at all in my ruger. Stuck cases every other round. It does feed into the chamber though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Tula sucks in .223 won't cycle my STG556 reliably.

Never had any problems with it in 9mm (Glocks)or 762x39 though.

As a matter of fact my M92 (AK pistol w/ 10.5" bbl)  gets its best velocity with Walmart Tulammo so I bought 500 Rds just for it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have random ignition failures with Tula in 223.
I checked a few with a chamber gauge and discovered they're out of spec short.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Not much to add about herters, but FWIW a shop around here has "hotshot", which I believe is century arms  (probably tula) ammo. Average price for steel case.

My brother bought some with his savage and it shoots about 2-2.5moa all day long. Better than MEN M80, Fed 180gr SP, and Fed M80 in his barrel. The recoil or POI was not very far off from the M80, so it seems to have good velocity. Didn't run dirty or make it hard to cycle the bolt.

I guess it's worth a shot if you want blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought 500 rounds or so a few years ago. Runs fine in my Stag rifles.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top