Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2017 2:12:40 PM EDT
Just built my first AR10 which is also my first .308 / 7.62 caliber rifle as well.   I am trying to learn as much as I can about the ammo on my own but I'd like to start up this thread to get some feedback from you guys as to what you're using.

For general plinking i'll just buy some bulk ammo so I'm not really worried about that but what about for "precision target shooting" or hunting?  I plan on doing some longer range target shooting with my buddies out in West Texas out to at least 500 yards shooting down a pipeline so some sort of match grade bullet / recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

For now, since I plan to hunt hogs and maybe even pop a deer with it, I sighted it in with 150gr Hornady American Whitetail since it was cheap and readily available.   It actually shot very well (see my last 3 round group below at 100 yards).

What grain bullet are you guys using?  What brand?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
175/168 fed match is kinda the gold standard for 7.62

I would also try hornady match with their AMAX bullet

for 308, reloading pays off real quick if you want the best ammo at best price
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA just sent me an e mail they have Federal Gold Medal Match for 15 something a box,I would get some of that to start with.http://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-308-168gr-sierra-matchking-bthp-gold-medal-ammunition-20rds-gm308m.html?trk_msg=V9BG88EVPFVK547U2H3LUCRUFC&trk_contact=63773IVMHIIHLBST2J0AND1DUO&trk_sid=2GNII4J2RAU0O5F1N9VANK2MU4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2ffederal-308-168gr-sierra-matchking-bthp-gold-medal-ammunition-20rds-gm308m.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+email&utm_content=11%3a00+Email
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hornady 150 g American Whitetail shoot very well in my Sig 716 patrol rifle.  Shot a deer on the run over 100 yards away and it was DRT.  Massive damage from this round.  Will be using these rounds again this deer season.

I've also had success with German military surplus 7.62x51 NATO when punching paper.

Aguila 7.62x51 grouped better than I expected.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top