Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2017 5:47:47 PM EDT
The older lots of SB193 I owned had a 55gr FMJ. All research led it to be a 55gr Sierra Match King FMJ. Being subsonic, it has the weird ability to penetrate soft kelvar and thinner IIIA PE plates. Some had noticed in newer FN catalogs that they tout the weight as being 62gr. This newer lot I have seems to agree with the heavier bullet weight (allowing for variance), and it seems to help with cycling the action of the FSN (probably due to velocity bump) with/without a can, and still retains the ability to keep it's shape while piling through soft kevlar. 

5.7x28mm, 60gr FMJ, Subsonic, SB193, FN Hertsal
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazing how effective these subsonic loads are.

Any idea of what the projectile is? SS109 would make the most sense, as thats a projectile developed by FN, but I thought they were too long to stabilize?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It's shorter than SS109.. It's entire core is lead, so I'm not sure what the projectile is. Jacket is bi metal (attracts magnet)
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That is weird - and even more impressive that lead core FMJ subsonic is IIIA defeating.

Also, really makes me suspect that wax or plastic filled SS198's would be much more effective. By filling the hollow nose, it should add enough rigidity to keep the nose from smushing flat. Then they should zip right through given their velocity. Perhaps an interesting test?

Do you know, will SS109 work for subsonics?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is weird - and even more impressive that lead core FMJ subsonic is IIIA defeating.

Also, really makes me suspect that wax or plastic filled SS198's would be much more effective. By filling the hollow nose, it should add enough rigidity to keep the nose from smushing flat. Then they should zip right through given their velocity. Perhaps an interesting test?

Do you know, will SS109 work for subsonics?
View Quote
That's something people have been trying to figure out on SS198. If it weren't for the OTM, it wouldn't mushroom over as easily.

I have not tried SS109 for subsonic, but I have M855A1, and they're too long to stabilize in 1:9. I would suspect SS109 would be too from some research I've done
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very interesting... any chance you could section a bullet ?

I am curious how thick the jacket is and wonder how "hard" the lead core is.
View Quote
The lead core was pretty darn soft.. I sectioned it with a dremel, not the best job in the world. Maybe wolfgang would section one for me..

IMG_5642 by Matt H, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, very slight line across bottom towards base.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top