Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
I'm about to put two 150rd cans of .50BMG ammo up for sale on the EE. I've never sold ammo before so, before I sell it I need help on the shipping process. Also, what's the best way to ship a(or two) 150rd ammo can(s) full of ammo? How do I pack it up?

One more thing. How do I find out where it's illegal to ship .50BMG ammo to? Is there a comprehensive list of ban states somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm about to put two 150rd cans of .50BMG ammo up for sale on the EE. I've never sold ammo before so, before I sell it I need help on the shipping process. Also, what's the best way to ship a(or two) 150rd ammo can(s) full of ammo? How do I pack it up?

One more thing. How do I find out where it's illegal to ship .50BMG ammo to? Is there a comprehensive list of ban states somewhere?
View Quote
I've shipped 9mm FMJ and .22lr before, so I never had to worry about state bans on "cop killer" bullets and other such nonsense. Shipping was via UPS at one of their Customer Centers, NOT a UPS Store (the latter will not ship ammo). Box has to be marked ORM-D.

Hopefully someone else can jump in with answers to your other questions.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Have to go to UPS or Fed-ex distribution center. Put the can(s) in cardboard boxes. Label ORM-D, write contents as ammo on print out ticket there. I know CA, DC, Chicago(Cook County)IL, no incendiary to NJ, are some places you can't send 50 BMG. Otherwise just like shipping any small arms ammo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll charge you extra for an "irregular-shaped package" if the ammo cans aren't boxed up, so figure that in to your shipping costs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It is not illegal for you to ship 50 cal ammo anywhere.  It may be illegal for the buyer to receive it, but states cannot write or enforce laws against someone in another state.  What you might run into is the shipping company refusing to ship unless you can provide proof it is going to an FFL, if that is something that state requires.  But if that is the case, that would probably be for any and all ammo, as there is no requirement to disclose specifically that it is 50 caliber ammo.

I don't normally ship ammo Fedex because we don't have a local hub so I normally only refer to the UPS regulations.  Basically speaking, double box ( I consider an ammo can one box), outer box appropriately marked, and adult signature required, and you are legally covered.  The regulations don't specifically state you must request adult signature, but they do state you are not allowed to ship to a person under 18 years of age.  I take it that means you can't address it to someone that is 17 or younger, and that is why they don't force you to ship it adult signature.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Also remember the box can't exceed 66lbs or it turns into hazmat fees. You may have to ship both separately..
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Know the weight of the ready to ship package.  It makes giving shipping quotes so much easier.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
If you know anyone at your local gun store, go in there and ask them to ship, you may be surprised. Otherwise and either way, Walmart has a 12x12 box that is a near perfect fit, just have to cut down the height of it, razor knife.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Granted it has been 10 plus years since I was shipping ammo but what I used to do was either find a box that just barely fit the ammo can or use cardboard and tape and basically make a box for the ammo can.

Weigh it.  If you don't know how to get a weight look at sg ammo or other places selling something similar or find your original receipt if it has a weight on it.

Go to the ups website and using their site you can plug in measurements and weight of your shipment and get estimates to where ever.

I was generally selling ammo in the ee here and had a price for the ammo and would tell people I would use ups site for shipping estimate and that was added to ammo price to get their total price.  That way that person could go to the ups site and see where my numbers were coming from.

I have a main ups hub not too far away and got to know the fella there pretty well and it was never a problem long as had things taped up well.  Sometimes estimate was a little off but I don't recall anytime I felt it was so far off I was bothered.  Basically any difference was due to poor weighing on my part or bad measurement.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Ship it in 2 boxes and tape the box up well on all seams and corners. I sent a bunch of .50 to the left coast and you want it to be in 1 can in a cardboard box. You will be charged extra for wood or metal packaging they claim it damages the conveyors. Also Fed ex was ever so slightly cheaper for ground. If you ship enough to create a UPS account they will discount if you ship weekly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ship it in 2 boxes and tape the box up well on all seams and corners. I sent a bunch of .50 to the left coast and you want it to be in 1 can in a cardboard box. You will be charged extra for wood or metal packaging they claim it damages the conveyors. Also Fed ex was ever so slightly cheaper for ground. If you ship enough to create a UPS account they will discount if you ship weekly.
View Quote
Thanks cat lover.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top