Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2017 6:13:04 PM EDT
Barrel specs:
Daniel defense 10.3" 1:7 twist CHF barrel, surefire 4 prong muzzle device.
Round used:
Wolf .223 gold 55gr

So I was zeroing in my mk18 today and have a ballistics question. During shooting at 25yd for zero, I was getting a good grouping and about every 3rd or 4th round I would notice it would be a flyer and upon looking at the paper you can tell it tumbled and had a perfect hole of the round sideways, not a perfect circle. Just looking for reasons why I'm getting the tumble and what ways can fix that.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! So what I'm gaining from this is its normal for that amount of tumble/yaw
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Push it out to 100yds and see what happens
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks! So what I'm gaining from this is its normal for that amount of tumble/yaw
View Quote
NO..............if you are saying the bullet is sideways at that distance......... NO that is not normal.
I'll respectfully disagree with McCantu as well.............. if the bullet is sideways............. that is not just normal yaw...............

PS........... Unless my computer is chopping up your pictures............ McCantu...... he is shooting "M193" not M855.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah not normal at all. Wolf gold is good ammo and it should shoot well in your barrel.. Make sure your barrel and brake is tight, I do t think thats the issue but I would check to be sure. Make sure your brake is not having rounds contact it. Try switching ammo as it is possible your barrel just does not like that ammo. Next time out try some XM193 and XM855 and see how that shoots and report back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Going to pick up some federal xm193 today and shooting tomorrow. Will report back. Verified last night barrel and brake are still torqued to spec
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not what op is describing

Quoted:
and had a perfect hole of the round sideways

you have something wrong
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not what op is describing

you have something wrong
View Quote
Thanks for the great advice...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have copper fouling, IDK. Use a copper bore brush to scrape out hard grime, not a nylon bore brush.

I have a 18 inch DD ProV11 and it hates Hornady 55gr soft points (3 or 4 MOA). The Hornady 55gr FMJ is fine (1.5 MOA). 80.5gr Bergers shoot great (3/4 MOA).
So it could be the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Going to pick up some federal xm193 today and shooting tomorrow. Will report back. Verified last night barrel and brake are still torqued to spec
View Quote
Any damage to the crown?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
How many rounds through the barrel?

There are too many variables for us to diagnose it over the web, but a shot out or defective barrel is at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's better advice than Mcantu provided.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any damage to the crown?
View Quote
Going to assess it tonight, and also clean the piss out of it as well. Going to pull the brake, and fire without it to see if it changes. Also have some 77gr ppv hpbt that I'll test out tonight. Worst case I'm thinking the crown. And approx 500 rounds through it
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Going to assess it tonight, and also clean the piss out of it as well. Going to pull the brake, and fire without it to see if it changes. Also have some 77gr ppv hpbt that I'll test out tonight. Worst case I'm thinking the crown. And approx 500 rounds through it
View Quote
Do all that............ though you'd think if the bullet was striking the brake, it'd #$%^ all the shots.  
Carefully look at bore, muzzle and all that attach to the muzzle.

Any chance of chrono'ing the ammo............... see if there is a huge ES................  ?  ?  

Carefully measure the ammo you have left?  Somehow an odd bullet (under size) got in???
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do all that............ though you'd think if the bullet was striking the brake, it'd #$%^ all the shots.  
Carefully look at bore, muzzle and all that attach to the muzzle.

Any chance of chrono'ing the ammo............... see if there is a huge ES................  ?  ?  

Carefully measure the ammo you have left?  Somehow an odd bullet (under size) got in???  
View Quote
Yeah the brake doesn't look struck, which is leading me to think crown. Going to pull it off in the morning

I don't have a chrono, I wish I did

And was also thinking of undersized ammo. So going to shoot 75gr tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
So the crown, barrel rifling, and brake are all still 100% okay. Headed to shoot now, going to use 2 other different ammo, and with and without muzzle device
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
you're the one that thinks its normal after 1 picture
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Update
Cleaned the barrel this morning, and removed the brake. Shot at 25m on cardboard to start with 77gr hpbt ppv ammo and had no tumbling rounds with or without the brake on. Moved back to 100m and had zero issues. Put the wolf back in, and again had no issues out of 60 rounds.
So I'm either thinking the barrel was heavily copper fouled, which is hard to think considering only about 300 rounds have been through it. Or like you guys mentioned, the Bullet size was on the small side and wasn't catching the rifling. I'll try and get some measurements here in a bit
Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Update
Cleaned the barrel this morning, had no tumbling rounds with or without the brake on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a hard time believing it was fouled bad enough to make rounds keyhole after only 300 rounds.

Anyway, good luck, hope you have it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe just a new barrel breaking in or burrs in rifling causing instability. After more rounds and a good cleaning it may have smoothed things out. Could just be that ammo was out of spec like a small bullet or OAL was too short.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I would think it was a problem with the bullet, but if it was, it seems like we would have heard of it, there's a ton of Wolf Gold floating around.

I still don't think fouling or burrs could cause tumbling.

OP, were you on a designated range, or shooting across a pasture?  I've had trouble before when I let the grass and weeds get out of control on my "range".
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
<pure speculation> Taking off the brake could have knocked off crud that was encroaching on the crown and causing random rounds to tumble.  It could also have knocked out gunk collected within the brake that was also somehow impinging on the bullet/barrel gas.  Or the brake could have been somehow installed oddly...

If taking off the brake and “just cleaning” the barrel (even “thoroughly” cleaning it) fixed the problem, that’s a good thing.  But it also says you should pay attention to how often you clean that barrel, because something caused it to goof up after X rounds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top